« Government WarningóNo Moderati... | No More Baltic Room? »

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Disco Music On Mars

posted by on October 18 at 15:17 PM

Dexter Wansel's Life On MarsThe Loft Classics Series is a great place to find out about many classic disco gems. This bootleg series started back in 1995 to highlight the classic dance tracks that were being spun back in the 1970’s by legendary Deejay David Mancuso at the early Loft Parties, located in New York. I recently was able to pick-up a copy of Loft Classics Volume II which features Dexter Wansel’s “Life in Mars”. The track originally appeared on Wansel’s 1976 debut LP, also titled Life On Mars. The song is a solid mix of cosmic hi-energy disco and straight forward old school funk. If your looking to get into some rare classic disco, the Loft Classics Series might be a good place to start.

Dexter Wansel - Life on Mars

I heard this sweetass cut last weekend for the first time and it made me do some trainspotting. When the DJ said "Life On Mars," I countered, "This doesn't really sound like Bowie."

Guess you had to be there.

Posted by segal | October 18, 2007 7:35 PM

Where can I find these Loft Classics Series? This song is awesome and I want to hear more.

Posted by Shawnzor | October 18, 2007 10:22 PM

Segal - Where were they playing this song? Was it in Seattle?

Shawnzor - I would recommend going over to Platinum Records(right next to Nuemos). In the very back of the store there is a disco/disco re-edit section. You can find some goodies back there.

Posted by TJ | October 19, 2007 10:10 AM

TJ: At a small spot called Avalon Bar in Costa Mesa, California. The night is called Double Fisted, which is repping cosmic disco in OC, praise Baldelli.

Posted by segal | October 19, 2007 5:13 PM

Also, this guy is playing at Avalon tomorrow night. You might know him.

Posted by segal | October 19, 2007 5:40 PM