« Grieves & Type, "My Girlfriend... | I gave Radiohead $9 for their ... »

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

It Didn’t Come With Art

posted by on October 10 at 0:02 AM

So I made my own. Sheezus, Radiohead, how else are stylish iPhone users supposed to prove their downloading cred—shove their overpriced device in a friend’s face and make them read the file names? That’s so February fucking 2007. For insta-cred, slap this self-produced gem into your In Rainbows directory:

inrainbows.jpg

Since I too am a revolutionary figure in the world of digital album……..art, I’m making this jpg available in a “pay what you want” format. It’s the only way I can survive in this hyper-digital, hyper-fast-paced, hyper-tubular industry. I think.

Thoughts on the album will be posted everywhere else on the Internet before anyone actually digests it properly, so I won’t rush in. But I have to admit, I’m already extremely happy about “Nude.” Ever see Meeting People Is Easy, the 1997 Radiohead documentary? Remember the song that shows up in half-completed form while the band’s in the studio? They finally finished it. That song alone is worth the download price.

yeah i'm pretty sure a couple people died or something. some kids came of age, balls were dropped.

nude kills me. KILLS. and videotape. and reckoner.

KILLS.

Posted by Molly Hamilton | October 10, 2007 12:52 AM

I'm totally using that artwork in itunes until something better comes along. Oooh! and how about putting it up on last.fm. hehe.

Posted by Patrick | October 10, 2007 1:06 AM

All I can say is: Is Thom listening to Boards of Canada/Clark/Fennesz or What?

Posted by Fyodor Zulinski | October 10, 2007 9:57 AM

I'm with you. "Nude" is great.

Posted by christopher Frizzelle | October 10, 2007 10:06 AM

the album is great, great, great, great, good, good, okay, good, great, great.

i just took the "enter" page from the inrainbows.com site and used that as the album art.

Posted by konstantConsumer | October 10, 2007 10:24 AM

Beauty.

Posted by trent moorman | October 10, 2007 10:57 AM

Whenever I give my phone number out, the person who whips out an iPhone to put my number in gets it slapped to the ground into a zillion pieces and I then tell them "I thought I saw a mosquito" and then I get the fuck outta there hella quick, Relly.

Posted by MC Confused | October 10, 2007 11:20 AM

Without the skillz to create my own, I googled "in rainbows cover art" and dragged the results into iTunes from wikipedia. Seemed simple enough to me. Tho I love the little Thom Leperchaun.

Posted by meh | October 10, 2007 12:19 PM

I wish this were the real cover. Good album(, though).

Posted by nfaderman | October 10, 2007 2:34 PM
Posted by Hannah | October 10, 2007 6:25 PM

Enter page (which I grabbed from Stereogum) as album art, definitely.
Bodysnatchers is excellent; goes on my iPod.
The rest, I'm probably not going to obsess over.
Looking forward to hearing the second disc, though.

Posted by rkpetersen | October 10, 2007 8:41 PM

this is why they are going to succeed in this "experiment." no production costs for a cd. no label to take money. they need no promotional costs, the media has handled that. and people are actually paying for it. on normal albums artists only get 50 cents to a dollar per record. this one is nearly all profit, except for engineering costs. who knows if no singles and no reviews prior to release are a good or bad thing. albeit this might not work on future releases because the "cherry" is popped meaning less hype in the future.

Posted by tha plow | October 11, 2007 8:50 AM

I had full intentions of dropping a little eCash for the album, but the site is performing so poorly from the entirety of the internets trying to download the damn thing that I ended up torrenting it.

Posted by extra free | October 11, 2007 11:24 AM