« There's Nothing Wrong With Bui... | Sprechen Sie Ballard »

Friday, October 5, 2007

Sometimes I Like Things; Dragonforce is One of Those Things

posted by on October 5 at 12:28 PM

Wow. So far I’ve posted two things today and both of them were about bands I don’ t like. That’s lame, I don’t wanna be a bratty and bitter cry-baby.

Here’s something awesome:

It’s so awesome, in fact, it’s this week’s Best Song Ever!

I’m a sucker for the optimistic fantasy metal (so much so that I even really liked Nelson’s “After the Rain” when I was a kid… which I know isn’t “metal,” but when you’re eight it is) and Dragonforce’s “My Spirit Will Go On” caters to my strange guilty pleasure perfectly with fast-as-shit guitar solos that go on for minutes, and lyrics that contain all of the following key words and phrases required to make a fantasy metal song successful: Misery, death, demon, sanity, land of a thousand souls, carry on through the rain, memories of the slain, evil, point of no return, payment in blood, death is the destiny, power of the demon, horizon, war, wings of eagles, debauchery, and blade of death.

And check out the chrous:

In winds of torment forever more you will cry for just…

One more time to escape from all this madness
One more time to be set free from all this sadness
And one last time to be the one who understands
My soul and my spirit will go on, for all of eternity

If you can’t appreciate this song, either genuinely or ironically, then you’re a fool. I dare you to play drums that fast, I dare you to play guitar that fast, and I dare you to grow your hair that long. Dragonforce is the shit.

— Terrible.

Posted by Aaro)))n Edge | October 5, 2007 12:44 PM

at least they're more entertaining live than people strumming downtuned notes once a minute

Posted by andrv | October 5, 2007 2:14 PM

I'm with Aaron.

Posted by bunnypuncher | October 5, 2007 2:53 PM

You really like this shite? Wow.
I guess we can disregard your opinion of the Blakes then.
Although RHCP are also shite, no doubt.

Posted by rkpetersen | October 5, 2007 4:05 PM

that's some of the wussiest metal i've ever heard. the great kat blows this shit away.

Posted by wussmetal | October 5, 2007 4:53 PM

Also, on the fast vs. slow debate: ask any drummer worth their salt and they'll tell you it's way harder to play really really slow than to play really really fast.

Posted by bunnypuncher | October 6, 2007 1:24 AM

Pretty entertaining. There's a definite craft and skill to putting something like this together I can appreciate, but I can't say I'd genuinely enjoying listening to this outside of sword fighting (which I can't see happening), or doing push-ups (even less likely).

Still, I'd take this over any of that cookie monster shit that's been happening this entire decade. Unlike growling like a bear over WHUMPA WHUMPA WHUMPA, it actually takes a ton of balls to get up there and work out a melody.

When I die, and some asshole plays this track over a montage of my life's accomplishments, I won't stay mad.

Posted by Dougsf | October 8, 2007 7:38 PM

What I want to know is who the hell filmed/edited that video? There wasn't a single good shot of the guitarists during the solos. sigh.

Posted by KS | October 9, 2007 6:11 PM