« Good Thing Slash Didn't Use Sh... | Why Does This Excite Me So Muc... »

Thursday, October 18, 2007

The Measure of My Dreams

posted by on October 18 at 10:57 AM

“A Rainy Night in Soho” is a heartbreaking, beautiful love song, one of the Pogues’ finest moments. Like love itself, it pulls in two directions at once, lifted up by an unforgettable melody and weighed down by Shane MacGowan’s ragged vocals. The words he sings are poetry:

I took shelter from a shower
And I stepped into your arms
On a rainy night in Soho
The wind was whistling all its charms
I sang you all my sorrows
You told me all your joys
Whatever happened to that old song
To all those little girls and boys

Sometimes I wake up in the morning
The gingerlady by my bed
Covered in a cloak of silence
I hear you in my head
I’m not singing for the future
I’m not dreaming of the past
I’m not talking of the fist time
I never think about the last

Now the song is nearly over
We may never find out what it means
But there’s a light I hold before me
And you’re the measure of my dreams
The measure of my dreams

Boozy sentimentality is the best kind of sentimentality.

I’m don’t expect much from the Pogues tonight, but I’m glad I’m going to the show. MacGowan is one of the greatest songwriters of the last 20 years; regardless of his condition, it’ll be a thrill just to be in his presence.

last night was far better than i expected. the band sounded great and shane was in good, strong form. i don't think you'll be diasappointed, jz.

i wrote some stuff about it in my blog, and included a brilliant you tube clip that features one joe strummer. check it out if you are interested.

also, they've made some sound improvements to the room -- showbox sodo is definitely gonna be a contender.

Posted by kerri harrop | October 18, 2007 12:16 PM

thats great to hear, kerri--thanks for the report. i was hoping wed hear from someone who went last night.

Posted by jz | October 18, 2007 12:43 PM

How was Will Whitmore, I guess he opened for them.

Posted by ptko | October 18, 2007 2:03 PM

@3--you mean william elliott whitmore? that guys a badass. what a treat that would be.

Posted by jz | October 18, 2007 2:22 PM

Yup, same Will/William. I bet he's pretty excited to be opening for the Pogues. I wish I was there tonight to see the show.

Posted by ptko | October 18, 2007 3:58 PM

Last night's show was way better than I hoped for... they sounded great, did 2 encores and played tons of old songs, so many friends, and such a happy fun sweaty throw-their-arm-around-you and sing along crowd type of crowd. I missed the opening dude, I was with the 500 or so people drinking cheaper booze across the street at Hooverville waiting until the mammoth line was gone.

Posted by Dan Halligan | October 18, 2007 4:08 PM

Well I'm glad they've made sound improvements at that place. I'd been there for a few shows in the past and vowed I would never go there again because of the sound.

Posted by bunnypuncher | October 19, 2007 4:43 AM