« Cosmic: The Original 1979-1984 | Roy Ayers @ Nectar »

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Who Cares About Sasha Frere-Jones?

posted by on October 17 at 14:55 PM

Seriously. I’m just back from a little trip and read Sean Nelson’s post re: Sasha Frere Jones.

I have to say. Can someone tell me who cares what this man thinks? He works for the New Yorker and he’s the one telling us what’s too white! PUH-LEEZE.

Why is he so lazy in his critique? Four pages of drivel and not a real a coherent idea to be found. So indie music is too white? DUH!

I would have gone further and said that due to Mr. Timberlake and Ms. Stefani. Rap is getting too white also. But the way he defends….

Oh never mind. It’s just too boring.

Didn’t we have this conversation a while ago about Stephen Merritt?

Posted by Lady Jane | October 17, 2007 3:28 PM

My favorite bit of idiocy:

[Yankee Hotel Foxtrot] is one of the most celebrated indie-rock records of the past five years. (It was released on Nonesuch, which was a subsidiary of the major label Atlantic—further evidence that “indie rock” has become an aesthetic description, and no longer has anything to do with labels.)

But who the fuck has ever referred to that album as "indie rock"?!?

Posted by Kevin Erickson | October 17, 2007 3:37 PM

I don't. Honestly, I wouldn't know who the hell he is if it weren't for Line Out linking to his article. But then, I just don't keep up. Also, I'm not a smarty pants intellectual who likes to read about, write about, and pontificate about music. I like to listen to and make music. I don't find music writers to be the least bit interesting anyway. That mental jacking off just bums me out.

Posted by Sally Struthers Lawnchair | October 17, 2007 3:38 PM

The whole point of SFJ's article was to drum up publicity for his funk band.

he's just funking with us

Posted by Brandon | October 17, 2007 5:56 PM

but let's all give a hand to his immensely talented brother, the notable typographer Tobias Frere-Jones. www.typography.com

Posted by greg | October 17, 2007 9:52 PM

Ooh, any chance of reposting the Seattle Weekly classic (circa 1995) "Is Grunge Too White?"

Posted by Eric F | October 17, 2007 10:32 PM