« Another One Bites The Dust | Three Links for Detroit »

Friday, November 9, 2007

Are There Any Johnny Thunders Fans Out There?

posted by on November 9 at 15:01 PM

So, let me start by saying, I’m not dumb. I know enough about Johnny Thunders to get me through a conversation about The Dolls and Heartbreakers etc….

But I’m obsessed with this song right now and I can hardly find any information about it at all!

R-916912-1172534698.jpg

The track is by a european disco group called Skyline. It’s off a self-titled album from 1978. Incredibly, it sounds like something The Rapture might be putting out now. It’s so contemporary feeling, that I was blown away when I discovered its date.

Here’s the track: (forgive the flange, it’s from a DJ set)

Skyline - I Think I’m Gonna Fall In Love

Here’s the thing. The group’s guitarist is none other than Johnny Thunders. But I can’t find any mention about this project on any Thunders related website or wiki.

Are there any Thunders fans out there who can shed some light on this track.

In 1978 wasn't JT recording his solo record? That's right after the Heartbreakers toured with the Sex Pistols. But I've definitely never heard of this craziness! And didn't they all hate the fuck out of disco?

Weird that Andy Warhol is credited with taking photographs, but not that cover photograph, which is credited to another guy. But that there seem to be no other photographs in the packaging according to that discog listing.

Posted by Ari Spool | November 9, 2007 3:20 PM

I'm a Thunders fan and I know nothing about this either.

Posted by bunnypuncher | November 9, 2007 3:51 PM

I'm completely guessing here, but...

I can't be sure, but it's likely somebody else with the same moniker. Johnny Thunders' namesake had been lifted before the one we're talking about it got a hold of it, so it's possible a Euro session guy was using it, possibly inspired by the Kinks songs from '68, also of that name.

The link says the LP was recorded at Trident studios in London, might be an angle you could follow. Johnny Thunders, of Heartbreakers fame, would probably have had to belong to the musicians union to have been brought in for a session, which doesn't seem likely.

Then again, heroin is a helluva drug, and he could have cranked out hisself some disco for some scratch. People are known to do worse.

Posted by Dougsf | November 9, 2007 4:43 PM

smells like BS, somehow.
a drugged out french weekend for the man, or someone borrowing the name for a one-off?

Posted by chops | November 9, 2007 4:44 PM

this is the french album cover. there is a UK cover which does have a picture from and andy warhol film on the cover. sort of a druggy looking woman.

that said, yes ari the timeline you have is correct so when and where would he have worked on this?

as a treat, here is the other skyline track i have from this album, it's different, instrumental, but definately has thunders guitar work on it. it's sort of a call and answer between the drums and guitar.

Skyline - Future Jungle

Posted by terry miller | November 9, 2007 4:48 PM

Also keep in mind, like so many glam one-offs from the 70's, a lot of those "bands" never existed, but were just assembled studio guys churning out records. Using a comical alias in the credits was a common practice.

Posted by Dougsf | November 9, 2007 4:51 PM

BUT BUT BUT I'm pretty sure he recording So Alone (1978) in London, so....

Posted by Dougsf | November 9, 2007 4:57 PM

to give you an idea about the rarity of this record....recently on ebay.

this link also has the "warhol cover".

Posted by terry miller | November 9, 2007 5:21 PM

holy shit - this is awesome.

Posted by otla | November 9, 2007 7:59 PM

This site confirms the participation of the "real" Johnny Thunders (born John Anthony Genzale, Jr.):

Don't know how reliable it is, but the date fits. That said, I agree with Dougsf that this doesn't say much about JT's personal taste, since money for dope (cue "Gimme Some Truth") may have been his primary incentive.

Posted by Kathy Fennessy | November 10, 2007 2:27 PM