« Today in Music News | Let's Talk About How Good This... »

Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Are You Running a Vacuum Cleaner in There?

posted by on November 7 at 14:36 PM

No, Mom. I’m listening to Loveless over and over and over, now that I’ve heard the news:

My Bloody Valentine: the reunion confirmed

Even better, the band has a new album “due sometime before the end of this year.” Wonder if it cost $500,000 to make.

Oh, happy day.

Fucking score. Too bad Loveless was their ONLY good record. And yet because of it, they're one of my favorite bands.

Posted by Mr. Poe | November 7, 2007 3:25 PM

Are you high? The only bad record is the first one. Loveless is great, but Isn't Anything is just as good, and neither of them can touch the genius of Sunny Sundae Smile. Strawberry Wine and Ecstasy are terrific, too, especially when you combine them on Ecstasy and Wine, which I'd pull out before Loveless.

I'll give heavy odds on anything new being terrible, though. It's been too long.

Posted by Fnarf | November 7, 2007 3:40 PM

I seem to have missed my closing italics tag after the word "Smile". Please forgive.

Posted by Fnarf | November 7, 2007 3:42 PM

I saw them at the Moore Theater when they were touring with Loveless. They were good. Probably the loudest show I've ever been too*.

* "Loud", in my mind, has a lot of qualifiers.

Posted by Dougsf | November 7, 2007 3:46 PM

I wonder if they will add any dates around the gotta-be-happening Coachella performance?

Posted by Abe | November 7, 2007 3:57 PM

Oh, Mr. Poe. Do hush up. There's a lad.

Posted by J | November 7, 2007 3:57 PM

Never cared much for any of their other albums. Sure, they have some good tracks, but every track on Loveless from start to finish is amazing, and it's what introduced me to Shoegaze, so I give it more credit than it probably deserves.

Yes, their new stuff will most likely suck. But surprises are cool, so whatevs.

Posted by Mr. Poe | November 7, 2007 4:13 PM

Dougsf, I hope in the case of MBV's "Loveless" tour, that among those qualifiers were your fingers inserted deeply in your ear canals. How long did they play the jet engine noise during "You Made Me Realise" here? I've heard up to eighteen minutes in some places, if they didn't like you. Boston was probably eight, though it seemed like an hour.

Posted by Fnarf | November 7, 2007 4:15 PM

a friend saw mbv (and jesus and mary chain) and complained of the volume and length of the hoover / dissonance section of 'you made me realise'. what a pussy. btw: 'you made me realise', as a release, is easily better than anything they had done previously or since in my opinion. 'loveless' falls victim to weird-for-the-sake-of-weird syndrome at points (that point: side b).

Posted by cosby | November 7, 2007 4:19 PM

Well, they beat Axl Rose. Somebody had to blink first.

Posted by Jason Josephes | November 7, 2007 4:37 PM

Well, Mr. Poe, you are completely wrong, but you get a pass, because you list Kitchens of Distinction on your MyPage space. Ever heard Frazier Chorus?

Posted by Fnarf | November 7, 2007 5:16 PM

In Detroit, it was over 25 minutes. They loved us long time...

Posted by segal | November 7, 2007 8:09 PM

The white noise went on for a good 10-15 minutes at the Seattle show. Emptied half the Moore.

Posted by somnabulist | November 8, 2007 12:51 AM