« Tonight in Music | Today in Music News »

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Fourthcity vs Poster Giant

posted by on November 13 at 10:05 AM

Yesterday, Youtube user 4thcity posted this video, allegedly showing a Poster Giant employee destroying posters for upcoming shows not posted by their company (after a blurry first minute or two, it gets clearer):

Animosity towards Poster Giant is of course old, old, old news. But what do you think? Do you poster? Do you do it yourself or via a postering company? Is this fair competition? Good capitalism? Bullying? Is this video sour grapes from second place? Creepy Stalking? Street justice?

anyone who doesn't put up their own posters should go poo on themselves...

Posted by poop | November 13, 2007 10:21 AM

I've seen more posters pulled down from poles by random old people with too much time on their hands than posters being torn down or covered up by rival companies. A couple of years ago I caught a cranky old man in the act of tearing down a flier for a show at the Blue Moon. The following exchange ensued --

ME: Why are you doing that?

HIM: Because it's ugly.

The posters were made by and paid for by the band. And this is why I tell bands not to bother with fliers on poles anymore. Get them up in an inside location or, better yet, concentrate on your web presence. A good sense of networking is better than a cheap flier no one will probably see.

Posted by Jason Josephes | November 13, 2007 10:23 AM

i agree with Jason. Before the Sidran poster-ban years, Seattle (at least Cap Hill, Beltown, The Ave, Eastlake, Fremont) was a pretty poster-friendly place, and postering outside was pretty much mandetory if you wanted to promote your show at all... When the poster ban took effect, people were forced to find businesses who would let you display a poster. While the poster ban was a stupid thing, it did foster communication between posterers and businesses.

I put up posters for every show i play or promote. I dont waste time, money or paper on phone polls. I politely ask if i can put up a poster, and the majority of the time i get a positive response. I also get the satisfaction of knowing the poster is more likely to stay up until the date of the event...and frankly sometimes, seeing 8 posters up on an outside wall or phone poll for the same event makes me LESS likely to attend that event, it means that money is being wasted on frivolous expenses and wasteful printing. this is money that will come off the top of the artist payout, guaranteed

It is dissapointing to watch this video, very sad. Seattle is not going to go back to the grunge years of poster-friendlyness, even without the poster-ban. In some neighborhoods (Ballard for instance), if you put up posters on polls,they will be taken down by a well-organized neighborhood group who finds posters "ugly". in other neighborhoods (cap hill, belltown) you have this sort of Poster War bullshit going on as shown in the video...sad and unnessesary.

Posted by kwab | November 13, 2007 11:49 AM

Postering is still important and not that hard to do by yourself, I just don't see the need for company's like Poster Giant unless the show involves bands from out of town. I must admit though, I'm in a band and we don't always get the chance to poster for our shows. I think it's far more productive to make small flyers and then GO OUT TO OTHER SHOWS and hand them out there and try and talk to as many people as you can. Not only is it pretty effective, cause people are more responsive to a hand bill someone GAVE THEM as opposed to a sheet of paper on a pole that's hard to see, but it's infinitely more fun to go out and approach people who are already out at a show.
This video kind of sucks and it's hard to tell what's going on. Also, someone's breathing really heavy in the background and it creeps me out a little. Also, who's to say he's not taking down posters for shows that have already happened?

Posted by E | November 13, 2007 11:58 AM

What makes me sad about the decline of posters is the art that was created behind it. It had become sort of like album covers in the '70s/'80s, the challenge to create interesting posters. I loved walking down Pike/Pine and seeing all the different art, was drawn to certain artists, and then compelled to see the show to see how it all blended. Now it feels like everything is the same, all on the same primary colored papers, the same fonts, the same uninspired images. It's a shame.

Posted by caroline | November 13, 2007 12:36 PM

Postering is nearly pointless in the internet age. We'll put posters up in the venue we're gonna play, a few weeks in advance, and that's about it. If you aren't promoting online, posters on poles are not gonna do it for you. It's 2007 folks..

Posted by boring | November 13, 2007 3:13 PM

"Sour grapes from second place". Grow up already.

Posted by Sargon Bighorn | November 13, 2007 3:54 PM

Fuck, it's 2007 already?

I personally think online promoting is tacky. Flashy banners on your favorite review site are sometimes cool, if done well. But slapping a huge poster comment on your friends bands' myspace is kinda whack (unless of course you're promoting Sing Sing, which is inherently tacky like that Krames dude). Pole-postering is different because you're not exposing your tackiness to that person/band's network, it's out that for all to see. I consider it a public invite. Myspace is all about being selfish... Ask Rupert, he knows.

I agree with Caroline: art up, Giant down.

Posted by blind leading the blind | November 13, 2007 3:59 PM

Who are the clubs or promoters that subscribe to Poster Giant? If you've got an issue with their practices, fight back.

Posted by Dougsf | November 13, 2007 4:07 PM

I'm all for postering (even though it's definitely not as effective as it was in the old days) and I also fully support the idea of companies that will do the dirty work. However, like Dougsf, I'd like to see their customers take a stand for better business practices, and I'd like to hear what Poster Giant, for one, is going to do about it. Clearly, few people out there give a shit about poster ethics these days. It seems like Poster Giant (and Poster Midget, clubs, etc.) could only gain by not not being part of the problem.

Posted by Aaron Huffman | November 13, 2007 4:24 PM

> FOR CLOSE UP COLOR PHOTOS CHECK OUT...
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/20680985@N02/2008860450/

Posted by Z.Baran | November 13, 2007 5:08 PM

PG owner doug cox (reasonably sure that's his name) is obviously an unrepentant douchebag who exploits the seattle music community for his own profit while giving nothing back in return.

props to the crew who took the time to put the video together...that's no small effort to do what you think is right and honorable. we salute you and your poor cinematography!

Posted by scntfc | November 13, 2007 7:45 PM

I walk down Pine St. on my way to work everyday and I always look at the pole posters. It adds a little excitement to the morning when I see a band that I like is playing soon. I have no desire to go to every single band's myspace page to see if they are playing.

So keep on postering!

Posted by i_like_flyers | November 14, 2007 11:45 AM

Neumos apparently just dropped Poster Giant. props to them for having the good sense to do what's right.

Posted by unlike PG, I care about music | November 14, 2007 12:51 PM