« U2 At The Disco | Do You Like The Office? Do You... »

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Hold Music

posted by on November 15 at 13:16 PM

I really should’ve just paid the parking tickets when I first got them. I almost never pay for anything on time. I have no good reason, really, I just… forget.

This morning, while on the phone with the company who is telling me I should pay or they’re gonna have to take me to court or something, I was put on hold. A lot. It would’ve been annoying if it weren’t for this New Order song that made my morning:

And remember Frente? Remember the album Marvin the Album? It has a great version of “Bizarre Love Triangle” too:

this may be blasphemy, but i like the frente version of 'bizarre love triangle' more than the original. of all of the standard new order hit singles, 'bizarre love triangle' is my second to least favorite (my least favorite being, of course, 'world in motion').

Posted by cosby | November 15, 2007 1:30 PM

Uh oh, did Cosby just start a "worst New Order song" thread?!

Posted by Eric Grandy | November 15, 2007 1:35 PM

if someone can name a song worse than 'world in motion', they should get a handful of non-redeemable 'scene tokens'.

Posted by cosby | November 15, 2007 1:54 PM

i totally agree! the frente version is just the right amount of twee sweet and sour without going too far. plus, the video makes me dizzy!

Posted by norma | November 15, 2007 1:55 PM

I've heard somebody actually defend "World in Motion" as being, if you were British at that time, quite resonant. I think he may have said "British" but actually meant "retarded."

Posted by Eric Grandy | November 15, 2007 2:00 PM

Does Waiting for the Sirens' Call count? Because from what I've heard that's probably your 12 worst right there.

Posted by Levislade | November 15, 2007 2:15 PM

@6: ahh... true, the chorus to 'jetstream' is pretty unforgivable.

@5: i would like to see a study, but i think most europeans lose a little part of their temporal lobe and gain a great deal of cultural pride during world cup years. i don't know how most britons missed that the line 'get round the back / catch me if you can' is probably not about football.

Posted by cosby | November 15, 2007 2:37 PM

World in Motion is brilliant because the players 'rap' in it. Also, by standards of World Cup songs it's Beethoven's 9th or something equally unassailably brilliant. World Cup songs are always terrible.

I think Bizarre Love Triangle is a great single, personally.

Posted by Abby | November 15, 2007 3:12 PM

The answer is neither -- the best version of "Bizarre Love Triangle" by far is by Even As We Speak.

Posted by Fnarf | November 15, 2007 3:16 PM

Frente used another band's song to become a one-hit wonder, but I do like their version more than NO's. Frente's version just sounds so sweet and sincere and the words of the song seem like they were meant to be sung sad and slow.

I also liked Waiting for the Sirens' call. You guys are such cynics.

Posted by Gomer | November 15, 2007 3:26 PM

that NO video is so 80s ADD it's amazing.

frente's just made me dizzy... what's with all the walking around her in a circle?

Posted by infrequent | November 15, 2007 3:30 PM

or perhaps even the devine & statton version.

Posted by janice | November 15, 2007 3:33 PM

If you like Frente's version, try Even As We Speak -- they copped it from them.

Posted by Fnarf | November 15, 2007 3:38 PM

Awww, I'm reading this thread and KEXP is playing The Perfect Kiss (one of my favorite NO songs) right now.

Posted by Lovey | November 15, 2007 4:02 PM

"Blue Monday" is the song to do.

If we ignore what Orgy did to the poor thing, Rihanna used it for "Shut Up & Drive" and M.I.A. bent it over with bamboo on "20 Dollar".

The worst New Order song, though, is any stadium-rock Joy Division update they did on the last tour.

Posted by Fawkes | November 15, 2007 4:41 PM

i'm listening to 1963 right now.

Posted by infrequent | November 15, 2007 4:42 PM

I'm listening to The End, in 1995, and I totally agree with you guys.

Posted by lar | November 15, 2007 6:06 PM

megan,

it's going to be more annoying if you continue to ignore your unpaid parking tickets. i'm going to presume that the local government that gave you the tickets has already assigned your account to a collection agency because that's probably who was on the telephone with you this morning.

if you don't work something out, they will indeed take you to court and if you don't show up there, it's almost 100 percent likely they will get a summary judgment against you.

do you know what that means?

it means a sheriff is going to come to your house or place of employment and serve you with garnishment papers.

they can then legally take part of your paycheck to pay what you owe.

now, get this.

along with owing the money for the parking tickets, the collection agency started charging interest so that will be included regardless but now, you'll also have to pay attorney fees and court costs.

what might have been a couple of hundred bucks in unpaid parking tickets is going to turn out to be over $500 most likely.

your credit is already screwed so you can't do anything about that but you can take care of this before it goes to court.

if you ignore this advice, don't say i didn't tell you so.

Posted by truthseeker | November 15, 2007 8:42 PM