« Today in Music News | The One Program »

Friday, November 16, 2007

M.I.A.

posted by on November 16 at 10:13 AM

The show is sold-out, but you can try to get into the official afterparty at Sing Sing (just get there early).

try to get in? goddamn! will there be a queue of not-so-wanted guests?

Posted by cosby | November 16, 2007 11:00 AM

I just imagine it will reach capacity as well. 2,000 person sold out show, afterparty at a venue that holds maybe 500...leaves how many boyz outside?

Posted by Eric Grandy | November 16, 2007 11:02 AM

This comment really belongs in a separate discussion but the term, "official after-party" makes me want to both retch and never listen to music or dance again.

Posted by christopher hong | November 16, 2007 12:39 PM

Yeah, it's official. There'll be name tags and an orderly agenda and everything...

Posted by Eric Grandy | November 16, 2007 12:48 PM

I'm not implying a parallel argument to how you often say that shows could've been more fun in a basement or house-- but a separate sense where branding and lifestyle marketing at these events collude to deflate any sense of fun for me, personally.

Of course I'm not a connoisseur of dance parties, but any desire I would have to go out is often defeated by all that hype-related offal.

Posted by christopher hong | November 16, 2007 1:03 PM

"hype-related offal" is the name of my next album.

the unofficial after party: albino! at nectar, super-heavy afrobeat throwdown, which is where ill be.

Posted by jz | November 16, 2007 1:29 PM

whoa, someone's thesaurus is on a rampage.

the name of this party really doesn't mean anything to me, it shouldn't mean anything to anyone. low b in seattle should be a selling point, but that is meaningless to 99% of all people.

Posted by cosby | November 16, 2007 1:34 PM

haters everywhere. it's called fun, have some.

Posted by Party Monster | November 16, 2007 2:41 PM

@8: Only if you promise that the fun is official.

Posted by christopher hong | November 16, 2007 3:59 PM

haha cosby that's amazing, i was thinking the exact same thing about the thesaurus.

Posted by bill's my hero | November 16, 2007 6:39 PM

Ugh. That show was a waste of money. Seriously, the best thing on stage was the damn DJ who played her own tracks for MIA to sing over. Off key. (Drunkenly?) It just totally proved how over-produced (or well-produced, judging by last night) she is in the studio. In the future, I'll buy her CD's but won't pay a dime for another one of those semi-homemade live shows.

Posted by meh | November 17, 2007 11:20 AM

Afterparty was awesome! Low Budget destroyed it!

Posted by Hillbilly | November 17, 2007 12:40 PM