« Sound Off! Entries Due Next We... | American Gagster? »

Friday, November 9, 2007

Now Let’s Talk About How Bad This Song Is, Okay?

posted by on November 9 at 11:40 AM

I couldn’t find an official video for Loverboy’s “Working for the Weekend” so this nearly torturous live performance will have to suffice.

Update: Commenter Left Coast found the official video (apparently it wasn’t hard, I’m just blind):

I really can’t stand the chorus of this song. I mean, it’s no “Built This City” (which, by the way, was co-written by Bernie Taupin?? I never knew! How’d you go from “Levon” and “Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters” to that, dude??), but it’s still pretty bad.

When I had a car, when I had easy access to a radio, I would hear that song at least once a week while station surfing, usually on a Friday. While it should bring happiness, since it’s usually used as a late-Friday afternoon anthem, it really just makes me wanna scream “SHUT UP! NO ONE IS WORKING FOR THE WEEKEND AND NO ONE WANTS A PIECE OF YOUR HEART!”

I’ve been working on my rage issues.

Anyway. That song is a waste of good cowbell.

Happy Friday!

(And to Left Coast, you’re so wrong about this song being better than the Pixies’ “Alec Eiffel.”)

You had to scroll down three items to find the official video.

It sucks, but it's still better than Alec Eiffel.

Posted by left coast | November 9, 2007 12:23 PM

Wow.. that guitarist could have been Will Ferrell's inspiration for cowbell guy.

Posted by yep | November 9, 2007 2:12 PM

The secret to the strange, enduring allure of Loverboy is finally revealed here.

Posted by flamingbanjo | November 9, 2007 2:32 PM

Alec Eiffel is better, and my view of Megan has obviously 360'd given that I get credit for squat on here.

Still, I have to say that Alec Eiffel is no more the best Pixies song than Working for the Weekend is the worst Loverboy one. Vancouverites who had to endure them (and Bruce Allen, Vancouver's version of Donald Trump) on the radio would tell you that Turn Me Loose was probably worse and The Kid is Hot Tonight must be the #1 worst.

Posted by left coast. | November 9, 2007 2:40 PM

Maybe you had to be riding a ski bus full of kids up to Snoqualmie Pass, high on your first hit of weed with Take Me to the Top blowing out the shitty headphones of a Sony Walkman in the winter of 1981 to really appreciate Loverboy.

Posted by Paulus | November 9, 2007 3:51 PM

Working for the Weekend has always been a guilty pleasure of mine. The keyboards are sweet. Plus it's hilarious in almost any context (office, party, car, video). Play it out loud on your speakers in the office and everyone will smile.

Posted by gillsans | November 9, 2007 4:12 PM

Huge oversight, I totally forgot this was Loverboy, and a great video to go with it. I think I used to date one of the girls in the video - that might be my captain's hat in fact.

Posted by left coast | November 9, 2007 4:28 PM

Several of the songs whose videos appeared during MTV's early, early days ('81-'82) made undeserved splashes at the record store.

Remember the cover to Loverboy's album?

Posted by Bauhaus | November 9, 2007 5:56 PM

I'm with #6, the keyboards are fucking awesome. Its a great rippin' pop song.

Posted by noway | November 9, 2007 10:24 PM

I find it frightening that Loverboy still occasionally plays at the EQC ... although I am not surprised considering the other fine "talent" that appears there.

Posted by Gordon Werner | November 10, 2007 11:32 AM