« “It’s not about the music—anyo... | Also Tonight in Music »

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

#12: Ari’s Favorite Christmas Song

posted by on December 12 at 13:05 PM

“Last Christmas” by Wham.

(There are covers out there. Jimmy Eat World does one, stupid Ashley Tisdale does one, but they’re inferior.)

This song saved my life.

I had gone snowboarding for the first time in December 2001. My friend Alison and I went up to Stevens Pass, had a perfect day, I didn’t get my ass kicked too badly. Then a snowstorm moved in just as we were leaving. The roads were a mess, and I naively wasn’t prepared for that. People were sliding everywhere—I had no chains for my Nissan Altima, no four-wheel drive, all we had was a shitty tape deck and a mix tape of Christmas songs a friend made me a couple years prior. I hadn’t driven in snow much, I was pretty sure I was going to kill us both.

Then “Last Christmas” came on. We reluctantly sang it together, scared for our lives, and for four-and-a-half minutes it kept me calm enough not to panic and slide the car over a cliff. Then we rewound it and sang it again—over and over—until we finally made it down the mountain.

A face on a lover with a fire in his heart
A man undercover but you tore me apart
Oooh Oooh
Now I’ve found a real love you’ll never fool me again

Wham’s the only reason I’m alive today.

God, I fucking love Wham!

Posted by louley | December 12, 2007 4:02 PM

i fucking love this song! every year, at christmas karaoke, i vow to sing it, but then chicken out and sulk as i watch someone else do it. maybe this year....

thanks for the happy story and the video with all the silly antics and frosted mullets.

Posted by suza | December 12, 2007 4:09 PM

Ha!
I have to listen to Christian Carols at work all day, and thats the only one that doesnt make me want to go on a shooting spree. Damn that Wham is some good shit!

Posted by ZWBUSH | December 12, 2007 4:15 PM

We have this in our jukebox right now. What a great song. The way he breathes out "SPEH-shull" is wonderful.

Posted by Fnarf | December 12, 2007 4:17 PM

PS - for more Christmas song goodness from Mrs. Fnarf's blog -- Partridge Family, Slade, Billy Squier, Erasure -- see http://imnotalwayssostupid.blogspot.com/2007/12/my-christmas-card-to-you.html

Posted by Fnarf | December 12, 2007 4:49 PM

People have always said that I look like the other guy from Wham if you want to act some scenario where you thank me for saving your life.

Posted by AW in WA | December 12, 2007 4:58 PM