« Today in Music News | Indie Labels vs Camel, Rolling... »

Thursday, December 13, 2007

#13: “Christmas Wrapping” by the Waitresses

posted by on December 13 at 12:01 PM

I love this song so much. Almost as much as “Last Christmas.” The ’80s really did Christmas music right.

waitresses.jpg

There was a point in my life, I was probably about 15, when I knew every single word to this song. And when I was even younger, I was convinced that this very story would someday happen to me. I mean, that’s what happened to 20-somethings, right? I’d be living in the city, playing tag with some cute boy for most a year, and after I settled down with the idea of spending Christmas alone, we’d bump into each other at the corner market while both picking up cranberry sauce and it’d be magic. Around that same time I think I also believed in the Care Bears and that I could actually stand on a cloud if I tried.

Anyway, here’s “Christmas Wrapping” by the Waitresses.

It's weird with this one how you can so clearly picture the scenarios described in the song. I can, anyway. But I never pictured myself buying cranberries 'cause I hate that sauce shit.

Posted by Explorer | December 13, 2007 1:24 PM

Still no response on my generous offer to let you repay the mitzvah Megan? I guess the return favor on saving someone's life isn't what it used to be.

Posted by AW in WA | December 13, 2007 4:50 PM

Thanks for this. It is this Jewish guy's favorite Christmas song and is blasting now in our office as I introduce my colleagues to the magic of the Waitresses. I always get sad when things go bad with the sunburn and the car not staring and everything even though I know that the horns will eventually save the holidays for one and all.

Posted by Postman | December 13, 2007 5:50 PM

Have you heard the Spice Girls' version????

Posted by Dick | December 13, 2007 11:14 PM

Brilliant Christmas song, and the only track that comes close is Graham Parker's 'Christmas Is For Mugs'.

Posted by Darren | December 23, 2007 11:02 PM

It Is a great song!!
I love it..
It was also on this cute list of Christmas songs that won't make you puke. :)
Have a merry Christmas!