« Today in Music News | Badd Santa »

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

I Think They Got the Alias

posted by on December 18 at 12:04 PM

laurab1.jpgThis morning I filled up at a gas station on 23rd. I was wishing I had one of those hydrogen powered cars when, what to my wondering eyes should appear on top of the pump but an abandoned copy of The Best of Laura Branigan.

I know Branigan’s not exactly current, but to leave her on top of a gas pump? In the rain? During the holidays? That’s not right. She sang her heart out for you every time you pressed play on that CD. She gave you her all, and you just left it there.

I got a napkin, wiped the CD clean, and took it into the gas station attendant thinking it might be his. I asked, “Is this your Laura Branigan CD?”

He said, “Who’s Laura Branigan?”

“Who’s Laura Branigan? You don’t know the song ‘Gloria’? Did you see Flashdance? The actress Jennifer Beals? Gloria made the soundtrack. It won a Grammy in 1983. It sold over six million copies in the U.S. alone.”

I think they got your number!!! I think they got the Elliott, I mean, alias, that you’ve been living under.
 But you really don’t remember, was it something that they said?
Are the voices in your head calling, Gloria?

laurab2.jpg

Well, the attendant hadn’t seen Flashdance, and it wasn’t his CD. I took it back outside, put it back on the pump, and propped it up so it was in plain view. Maybe the owner will realize it’s gone. Maybe someone else will take it in and give it a new home.

That CD is out there, right now, on a gas pump in the rain, waiting for you to pick it up, put it in, and press play. She’ll sing her heart out for you.

when i was a kid and living in hawaii, i remember a news story about laura branigan being booed off stage (by fans, mind you, not a free festival or something) because she couldn't sing in key at all. i don't know if this is true of all of her performances, but it would explain her one hit wonder status if it's true.

the best thing about 'gloria':
the guitar riff used on 'disco 2000' by pulp

Posted by cosby | December 18, 2007 12:18 PM

She had several hits beyond 'Gloria'. 'How am I Supposed to live Without You', 'Solitaire' and 'Self Control'. I actually heard her live a couple of years before she died and she had quite an amazing voice.

Posted by Darrell | December 18, 2007 12:21 PM

What I want to know is who the hell buys 31 gallons of gas at one time?

Posted by rk | December 18, 2007 12:24 PM

Long live Laura! The power of music defeats the grave, defeats the gas pump, defeats the rain!
Good going Trent!
Tante

Posted by Tante | December 18, 2007 12:27 PM

Hey. Laura Brannigan was my babysitter, for real and I dated her little known bro., Billy Brannigan. Both super nice people. Sing Gloria!

Marfa

Posted by Martha | December 18, 2007 12:33 PM

I noticed the 30.998 gallons too. And thought:

Would someone with a truck that big be into Laura Branigan?

Marfa, you gotta be kidding me you dated Billy Branigan. She babysat you?? Hell yeah. What was she like as a baby sitter? Did she think she had your alias?

Posted by trent moorman | December 18, 2007 12:44 PM

they have a laura branigan cd because they buy 31 gallons of gas at one time and can't afford to go to a real record store -- they picked it up at goodwill for 99 cents with a pair of shitty old navy jeans.

Posted by graig | December 18, 2007 1:18 PM

I always thought she was saying "Elliott" too.

Like Elliott from ET. ET learns to dance and works hard at the steel mill. He turns on his dance floor heart light.

Posted by DrumSchool | December 18, 2007 2:10 PM

He hadn't seen Flashdance? What the fuck is wrong with him?

Posted by BenS | December 18, 2007 2:22 PM

This was clearly a mistake. The person who filled their tank with 30 gallons of gas is at the firing range right now missing "Gloria." "Gloria" is what they listen to while they take target practice. They shoot guns, buy gas, and dance like Flashdance.

Posted by Anna | December 18, 2007 2:47 PM

Let's get rid of all 'Best of' CD's and the Earth will be free of hazardous emissions. No Best of = no CO2 or NO2.

Posted by the answer | December 18, 2007 3:23 PM

Finally there sense. My Best of Kenny Loggins is GONE!!! There, I've done my part.

Posted by A.Gore | December 18, 2007 3:42 PM

Crap I wish we could edit these things.

Finally there IS sense.

Posted by A.Gore | December 18, 2007 3:43 PM

I stayed in a cheap hotel near the beach in Costa Rica a few years ago oblivious to the disco nearby. 11 o'clock or so, I wake up to Gloria just blasting. They played it three times before 3 am. I will never get every note of that song out of my head.

Posted by left coast | December 18, 2007 4:36 PM

There was Yanni, Live at the Acropolis sitting on a kitchen counter at work today. It sat there all day untill it vanished late in the afternoon.

Posted by yelm street | December 18, 2007 8:44 PM