« They Shoot Country Music Stars... | Re: Croc Closed? »

Monday, December 17, 2007

Up in the Air: Jim Anderson Speaks

posted by on December 17 at 13:40 PM

jim.jpg

Art by Kyle Webster

Jim Anderson, the guru sound engineer from the Crocodile, has given The Stranger an exclusive statement.

Iím touched and honored by everyoneís kind words, interest, and concern. The band room at the Crocodile is my living room and the sound system is my home stereo.

My first wish would be that the Croc wouldnít miss a beat. I wish I could walk in there, turn on the switches, and have bands show up to play just like normal. But thatís not going to happen just yet. More conversations need to happen with ownership before I really know what I am going to do. Things are still up in the air.

For now, Iím going to enjoy a couple weeks off. This is the first time since 1991 I have gotten to take this much time off and not have a hospital involved. Iím going to let my ears stop ringing and see which way the wind blows.

I might go to Tokyo and see a sumo wrestling tournament. Thereís also a book I want to write. Maybe this a good time to start that.

I do know this: I will continue to run sound and I will stay in Seattle. As for where and when, thatís to be decided.

Previous Line Out post about Jim’s sumo/sound engineering wizardry can be found here.

God dammit.

Jim, I love you, and I think I stand in a long long line of other people who's crappy music was made beautiful for an evening because of you.

Thank you 2nd and Blanchard family, Eli, Peter, Kevin, Christine, et ALL past and present for taking such good care of us over the years.

Sincerely,

Rachel Flotard
Hafacat, Visqueen, Iron Chef, toilet paper flusher, green room spiller, door crew hugger, stage liker, and asbestos ceiling sheep/beehive herder.

Posted by Rachel Flotard | December 17, 2007 2:24 PM

Let me second that! Thank you, thank you, Jim and everyone else for making us feel welcome since day one. The Crocodile has felt like home and we are in shock, to say the least.

LINCOLN
Red Jacket Mine

Posted by Lincoln Barr | December 17, 2007 2:42 PM

Jim, thank you for making all my favorite bands sound their best. And thanks for even making my shitty band sound good once.

Despite what anyone might say about it being past it's prime, there was no club in the city I'd rather see a band, and it was all because of Jim.

Posted by eric w. | December 17, 2007 2:46 PM

Jim,

I was sad to hear that your home stereo system will be turned off. I wished I could have made it down to visit before the end, but life passes in fast forward sometimes and I just never found the time. I am glad that you get some well deserved time off and I know you will be back behind the knobs soon.

Mike Todd aka dr.heavy

Ps: At least you can clean behind the power amps now. I know some of those snakes have 20 something years of club grime that could be cleaned as well.

Posted by drheavy | December 17, 2007 2:50 PM

The Croc is going to become a Sumo arena. Jim as ref:

SEA vs. PDX.
Dorgan vs. Greenberg.
Poster Giant vs. Fourthcity.
Meinert vs. his ego.
Gregoire vs. Rossi.
Clay Bennett vs. the stick up his ass.
Dan Savage vs. Larry Craig.
Dan Savage vs. Jesus Christ.

Posted by i say | December 17, 2007 3:20 PM

Jim,
Thanks from all of us in U.S.E. We loved being involved with a Seattle legend like you. Damn it, we'll miss the Crocodile! Here's to hoping it survives...

Posted by Jon e. Rock | December 17, 2007 4:01 PM

Samesies.

Jim is a certified badass.

They should keep the Croc open, if for no other reason, to be a Mecca for sound guys on a pilgrimage to learn professionalism.

Posted by The Quiet Ones | December 17, 2007 4:38 PM

Jim, you are the man. Thanks for everything.

Posted by WE Mike | December 17, 2007 5:00 PM

Enjoy your vacation Jim. God knows you've earned it. And thank you for so many years of being such an all-around great guy. We look forward to seeing and hearing you someplace new in 2008.

Sincerely,
Patrick

Posted by Patrick Porter | December 17, 2007 5:56 PM

Jim, you've been the most awesome sound guy in town for years. Good luck with the free time, and hopefully we'll all see you back behind the console before too long.

Thanks for everything!

Pete & the rest of
Saint Bushmill's Choir

Posted by Pete | December 17, 2007 6:48 PM

My lady was having problems with the decibel level (heh, I wasn't) at the Croc one night, and Jim graciously gave her a pair of earplugs. Just a class act all the way. If the Croc eventually does re-open, I hope he'll still be there, and maybe with a few upgrades to his home stereo system too.

Posted by rk | December 17, 2007 8:58 PM

Jim, the Croc's only truly constant feature (pole excepted).

Thanks for the many years of excellent sound and the promise of many more to come!

Matthew
of Peter Parker

Posted by Matthew (Parker) | December 18, 2007 12:38 PM

Hello from Finland, where I am living now...Jim, I just want to thank you so much for all that you have done in the past, so many good shows, and such great sound...long may you run.

Gary Heffern

Posted by Gary Heffern | December 18, 2007 10:45 PM

Mr. Anderson, you helped this fan understand what live music should sound like, and how to work with bands to get the very best sound. Every other show I ever attended since my first Croc shows back in the '90s would be held up in comparison soundwise, and would usually fall painfully short.

A million times, thank you, and enjoy a relaxing break. I look forward to hearing your sonic endeavors again in the very near future.

Posted by rlv | December 19, 2007 3:43 PM