« "Electric Avenue" by Eddy Gran... | TJ Gorton's 2007 Year in Revie... »

Friday, December 28, 2007

Minneapolis??

posted by on December 28 at 11:56 AM

What does Minneapolis have to do with going on an escapade?

Is Janet Jackson from Minneapolis? Is Minneapolis where Janet Jackson wants to go on an escapade? Is that where she’s going to get away and save her troubles for another day? Is that where she has it made? Does anyone have any idea what I’m talking about?

Listen. Listen at the 3:11 mark.

I’ve always been confused as to why Minneapolis, of all places, is the one and only city that gets a shout out in this song. I’m guessing she’s not really saying Minneapolis, though. I’m guessing that I heard it wrong when I was eight and didn’t know any better. She’s probably saying something in Spanish. But all the lyrics I find online don’t tell me what she’s actually saying, so I’ll keep thinking it is and singing it as though she’s giving a shout out to Minneapolis before the dance breakdown.

Because maybe Janet cashed her check and wants to do it right… in Minneapolis.

Rhythm Nation (the album it's from) was recorded in Minneapolis.

Posted by Jason Josephes | December 28, 2007 12:07 PM

A pair of Minneapolitans, Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, have been Janet Jackson's production team since "What Have You Done for Me Lately?" Jackson's label, A&M, is responsible for introducing the artist to the duo, which makes Jackson's Minneapolis reference a bit strange (she seemingly had no personal relationship with the city before recording Control in 86).

Maybe she fell in love with the place (it is quite a lovely, if chilly, city--check it out in May, Megan, and make sure to hit up the CC Club and say hi to Peggie) ... but more than likely she shouted "Minneapolis!" because it was cool. Minneapolis was, at the point Jackson recorded "Escapade" well known as THE hotbed for R&B, thanks largely to the Little Purple One. When Jackson shouts Minneapolis she is saying, "Do you know who produced this! Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis! Dudes were in the Time. Motherfuckers worked with Prince!"

It's a way for her to gain cred by latching on to the legacy of the Minneapolis Sound ... even though the Sound was largely on the wane by 1989. It also possibly--and this is even more speculative than the former claptrap--allowed her to distance herself from the Jackson family by aligning herself with another fam.

Posted by Mark Baumgarten | December 28, 2007 2:28 PM

5-10 seconds of research would tell you all you'd need to know about Janet Jackson's connection to Minneapolis, primarily through Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis who co-wrote and co-produced this track and all of Janet's late 80s hits.

Posted by Explorer | December 28, 2007 2:31 PM

research, then post, that's what I say

Posted by DJ Nphared | December 28, 2007 6:08 PM

Cue Prince's "Uptown"

Posted by BFDS | December 28, 2007 9:00 PM

Ah......Minneapolis, the city in which I grew up. It should have a picture in the dictionary next to underestimated. I miss so many little things about it.
oh yeah---I could give a shit about Janet Jackson. DOOMTREE!! RYHMESAYERS!! FOBIA!! 3RD LAIR!! D4!! FIRST AVE.!! MUDDY'S!!
.....o.k. enough shouts out---but really, a micromillimeter beneath Seattle in total.

Posted by matt | December 28, 2007 10:07 PM

I Heart MPLS. I'd give it a random shout-out if I were a pop star, even if my producers didn't have me working there.

Posted by violet_dagrinder | December 29, 2007 1:16 PM