« Sucker for 12-strings | Calling Charles Mudede »

Friday, December 21, 2007

Mountain Con

posted by on December 21 at 15:20 PM

l_2ee95152902b5efda200eeed0aa0a466.jpg

From this week’s Band of the Week column:

I get the sense from my fellow Stranger staffers that Mountain Con are not well-liked around here. I am not supposed to enjoy their perfectly-crafted whiteboy soul-funk jam pop. I ought to find Beck-ish, Cake-like tracks like “Ophelia” and “I Fall Apart” fey and irritating rather than breezy and clever as hell. That the long-standing sextet reminds me of dorm-room bong rips and long summer afternoons should be shamed, not embraced. Here’s the thing about all that: I make the call this week and I decree Mountain Con to be really fucking good. JONATHAN ZWICKEL

I can’t believe these guys don’t get more shine around here. There’s a brilliant pop sensibility running through their music, a whiff of mid-’90s, non-grunge alt-rock from bands like James and, like I said above, Beck. “Ophelia” nods to the Band (if only in title) and sounds like an Odelay outtake with better vocals. “Propertius Pound” is a woozy electro-funk pastiche of “Tracks of My Tears,” with singer James Nugent warbling, “There’s no hiding the fact that I am a thief/Originality is nothing but a joke told in 3-D.” “I Fall Apart” is Velvet Underground weeded-out instead of dopesick (with a shout out to the Seattle Weekly—maybe that’s why they get no love.) The production is Dust Brothers dense, jangly with tambourines and slinky piano lines, electrified with turntable scratches and drum machine beats.

Is it too soon for a mid-’90s throwback band? No. Good pop music never goes out of style. Is Mountain Con too radio-friendly for their own good? Probably. This is Seattle, after all.

Check out Mountain Con on the Stranger’s Bands Page.

They are also the favorite band of locals We Wrote The Book On Connectors. There's an M.C. tribute/love song on WE's myspace page.

Posted by Jason Josephes | December 21, 2007 4:10 PM
Posted by WE Mike | December 21, 2007 5:20 PM

Mountain Con are a fine band that sorta originated in the late 90's around here. Maybe 2000, but I'm pretty sure it was the late 90's. They haven't changed much since. Hence, your view of their sound seems entirely accurate. I've never felt too guilty for liking them.

My sole criticism is that I think Nugent is sometimes so infatuated with a particular phrase, he jams too many words into the line. His lyrics sound awkwardly forced against the rhythm at times - it's just too many syllables. Otherwise, they do what they do extremely well.

Posted by matt garman | December 21, 2007 6:33 PM

What else happened in Meniert World this week? No seriously. We're all dying to know.

Posted by Uninformed | December 22, 2007 2:45 AM

I heard blue scholars are playing tonight.

Posted by Meinert | December 22, 2007 12:33 PM

Zwickel is so obviously from San Francisco. Wait til he discovers Maktub.

Posted by Pretty Titty | December 22, 2007 4:56 PM

i saw them once and they reminded me of smashmouth.

i forget what exactly t sounded like, but i know i was against it

Posted by ndrwmtsn | December 22, 2007 5:00 PM

It's really all about TchKung! Once he discovers them he'll know the truth

Posted by Meinert | December 23, 2007 3:15 AM

It is really about TchKung! Actually, its really about how Meinert has so unfairly taken over the Seattle Music scene. Its just so unfair...so unfair.

Posted by Watt | December 23, 2007 12:28 PM

Posted by Watt | December 23, 2007 12:28 PM

i am so obviously san francisco bc i like stuff. its true.

Posted by jz | December 24, 2007 8:07 PM

mountain con, the best music to listen to while heading to a dave matthews concert!

Posted by jim | December 25, 2007 2:19 PM