« Up in the Air: Jim Anderson Sp... | What A Strange Idea »

Monday, December 17, 2007

Re: Croc Closed?

posted by on December 17 at 13:45 PM

Unknown.jpegcondo ad by sprizee from the Stranger flickr pool

In this comments thread, Croc booker Eli Anderson writes (emphasis added):

Hey everybody. I just wanted to chime in and say “thanks” to everyone who came out to any of the shows that Pete and I booked in the past year. From a purely attendance standpoint the Croc had a really great 2007. So thank you very much for that.

Also thanks to everyone who had positive things to say in this comment box thingie. It is very very hard to run a concert venue (trust me, i’ve been doing the talent buying by myself since Pete left) and your support means a lot to me.

I also want to reiterate that the Croc’s closure came as a TOTAL SURPRISE to everyone who worked there, myself included. I spent the last three weeks on my life work there 60+hours per week, frantically convincing agents/bands/promoters that it was okay to book shows there because I believed it was. Obviously if I knew we were going to close I wouldn’t have been putting so much work into securing the Croc a solid spring schedule. I’d like to apologize to any band or agent or promoter who I inadvertently lied to in the past few weeks.

I feel really betrayed by the club’s sudden closure. It was no mystery to anyone who cared that the Crocodile was losing money. But I really do feel that we had the right people in there, with the right attitude and that we were going to turn things around. I was very much looking forward to throwing myself into the job and doing everything in my power to assure that the Crocodile Cafe became the club that it deserved to be. I cared deeply about the place and everything it stood for. So to have the wool pulled over my eyes and the rug pulled out from under my feet is just insulting.

I’d also like to say that I got the VOICE MAIL about the Croc closing while I was Christmas shopping if only because it adds a delicious Dickensian twist to the story. Here’s to hoping that the local music community shows up at my apartment tonight with a fat Christmas goose.

Oh! And if anyone has a lead on a job…I kinda need one…

Oh Shit.

Posted by trent moorman | December 17, 2007 1:57 PM

It was at the Croc where I went to a Tiger Trap show in '93 rigtht after moving here. I had no contact info for the guys in Crayon, but thought they might be there. They were! And they introduced me to George Phromm III that night, hilarious guy who has illustrated a cool vid for Every Scene?Center. Can I have the checkerborad tile for chiocken coop material?

Posted by garmikulsek | December 17, 2007 2:03 PM

oh shit, indeed! any venue should be so lucky to have you booking for them. love ya, eli!

Posted by rachealh! | December 17, 2007 3:34 PM

That sucks Eli. For some reason everyone always seems to get laid off right before X-mas.

Good luck on the job hunt mang. If you run into Fatty before you run into me, make him buy you a drink for me :)

Posted by Jake | December 17, 2007 5:26 PM

That is awful. I can't express how beyond sad and nauseous this all makes me. Isn't there some way the whole lot of us can drum up a Christmas miracle and buy the place back?

Best of luck and lots of love to ya, Eli.

(I'd also like to say that it is extra lame how this keeps happening to wonderful places in Seattle just before I move back to town and turn 21.)

Posted by Tiny Cristina | December 17, 2007 8:28 PM

Eli Anderson, email me when you get a chance @ james@dwellingre.com...I might have another venue for you which I am currently purchasing. ~James Ellison

Posted by James | December 18, 2007 1:15 PM

Could it be... the Comet?

Posted by rk | December 19, 2007 9:26 PM