« Dear Jeff Lynne, | Down To Love Town »

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

The Best Jukebox in Town

posted by on December 26 at 14:16 PM

The other night I found myself hanging out in Wedgwood with some friends who were home for Christmas. After hitting up trivia night at the Wedgwood Broiler we found ourselves at the bar in Wong’s Kitchen, a Chinese restaurant on 95th St and 35th Ave. It’s a small bar, thirty people there would feel like a flood, but the drinks were cheap and the atmosphere was real. What surprised me most about Wong’s Kitchen was that they have what might be the one of the best jukeboxes in town. It was one of those jukeboxes where I put in a dollar and didn’t even make it make it a third of the way through the list before I had to put in more money. They had all my favorite timeless classics – Fleetwood Mac’s “You Make Loving Fun,” Roy Orbison’s “Cryin’,” The Smiths’ “This Charming Man,” America’s “Ventura Highway,” and most importantly, Hall & Oates and Soundgarden, my two rekindled burning loves of 2007. I am now smitten with Wong’s Kitchen.

Linda’s has got a great selection of local bands and more modern indie stuff, and before I went to Wong’s had probably been my favorite. What do you think is the best Jukebox in town?

SHORTY'S! Without a doubt. The front one and the back one in the Trophy Room. I just wish they would fill it up the rest of the way...

Posted by Ari Spool | December 26, 2007 2:30 PM

damn jeff, you stole my post.

loads of good jukes in this town, but the redwood is the best. tom petty, the dead, springsteen--real bar music. also: creamed corn nuggets (no, theyre not on the jukebox but theyre deep fried and so damn good).

Posted by jz | December 26, 2007 2:35 PM

the shorty's jukebox is decent, but kind of narrow in its selection (and yes... nto even full). since i haven't been here long enough to take note of great jukeboxes, my favorites are:

favorite (that i had no hand in):
the ottobar (baltimore, md)
great music venue, but an even greater jukebox on the second floor. for me, $5 worth of credits is far cooler than whatever opening band the club has to offer.

favorite (that i did have a hand in):
smalls (harrisburg, pa)
fairly unfuckwihable selection and a labor of love (and arguments) between the club proprietor and myself. five reasons why it runs laps around every other box i've seen:
gun club 'fire of love'
modern lovers 'modern lovers' (the pre-re-release us pressing, which was fucking impossible to find and the time of filling the box)
the slits 'cut'
the stooges 'fun house'
wire 'pink flag'
i lobbied for the inclusion of 'nowhere' by ride which, to my knowledge, only two people (including me) ever played.

Posted by cosby | December 26, 2007 3:56 PM

great question...I like bars that have juke boxes that fit well with the bar. The Mecca Cafe has a great one for this reason. Lou Reed, Tom Waits, Mark Lanegan, Nick Cave, Elvis Presley, Roy Orbison all make me want to sit in the back booth with friends over a high life and philly cheese steak.

Posted by blip | December 26, 2007 5:59 PM

The jukebox at Poggie's Tavern in West Seattle is surprisingly good. They have all these homemade mix CDs in there with funny titles like "WHAT WAS I THINKING?"

Posted by Explorer | December 26, 2007 7:16 PM

Anodyne in Albuquerque has an outstanding jukebox. Mission of Burma's "That's When I Reach for My Revolver" comes to mind. As does the over 100 beers in the bottle. McLynchy's in Philly may have as good a selection of Northwest bands of any bar on the East Coast.

Posted by rtm | December 28, 2007 7:40 AM