« This Post is Brought to You by... | And now, for the Year 2008: Da... »

Thursday, January 17, 2008

1996: The Way it Actually Was vs the Way You Want To Remember it

posted by on January 17 at 10:34 AM

Megan’s post about 1996 got me thinking about the gap between how things actually were and the way we like to remember them. In 1996, I was 16, living in the suburbs, and going to shows at the Old Firehouse but usually paying less attention to the bands than to the social life. My favorite bands then were probably Jawbreaker, Rancid, Green Day, the Chemical Brothers, and Red Rocket (ask Dave at Red Light about that one). But when I look back on 1996, I imagine my own musical tastes rather differently. Jawbreaker’s still on the list, but Daft Punk and Aphex Twin replace the Chemical Brothers, Modest Mouse replaces Rancid, Sonic Youth and Bikini Kill make the list instead of Green Day (okay, maybe Green Day stays too), and so on… That’s how 1996 sounds when I think about it now, but it probably didn’t really sound that way at the time. It probably sounded a lot more like this. I guess all this is to say, thank god we don’t stay 16 forever, and: How fucking dated is that Jawbreaker video?

I saw my friend the other day and I don't know
Exactly just what he became
It goes to show
It wasn't long ago
I was just like you

Posted by Ari Spool | January 17, 2008 11:22 AM

Dude, how could you leave NIN off of your list? I think every time I ever saw you back then [er, "around" then] at the Firehouse you were sporting a NIN t-shirt. Maybe not.

Posted by Bryce | January 17, 2008 11:41 AM

NIN were definitely one of my favorite t-shirts, but I think they ranked somewhere below Smashing Pumpkins and Nirvana on the master list.

Posted by Eric Grandy | January 17, 2008 11:49 AM

listening to aphex twin was quite uncool in 1996, trust me.

also, true or false: previous to 1998, 96% of americans found out about aphex twin from either mtv's amp or nine inch nails' 'further down the spiral' ep?

Posted by cosby | January 17, 2008 12:04 PM

oh my god. the red rocket 'jane wiedlin' 7" was the catchiest shit in '96. although it wasn't quite as life changing as when the excursion compilation dropped. state route 522? botch? slowsidedown? joughdawnbaker? nineironspitfire? OH HELL YES. 1996 was a damn fine year in local all ages music.

Posted by Scrat | January 17, 2008 12:11 PM

MTV's Amp compilation is entirely responsible for me first hearing "Girl/Boy Song." Ah, pre-blogosphere suburbia...

Posted by Eric Grandy | January 17, 2008 12:17 PM

Second that @5.

Posted by Eric Grandy | January 17, 2008 12:19 PM

Wow. That's exactly how I got into aphex twin. I got that orange Amp comp and immediately went out and bought the Richard D. James album. Weird.

Posted by Jeff Kirby | January 17, 2008 12:36 PM

amp is what did it for me. i stayed up late just in hopes of catching it, since i'd never heard anything like that stuff before.

Posted by donte | January 17, 2008 1:08 PM