« "I'd Rather People Focus on Ha... | Believe it or Not, I'm Listeni... »

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

454 Music Critics Can’t Be Wrong

posted by on January 15 at 14:15 PM

thumb300x_lcd.jpg

Huzzah! Idolator’s 2nd Annual Pop Critics Poll (you know, Pazz&Jop’s snarky, non-Christgau-firing, little brother), is live!

Conflict of Interest Alert: Michelangelo It’s a Hit” Matos curated the beast for the second year running, and yours truly cast a ballot and put together a mix cd. My impeccable, king-making picks can be found here.

Hundreds of ranked albums, singles, artists, and reissues, as well as essays and individual ballots can all be found here.

Keep in mind, one of the biggest songs of the year, LCD Soundsystem's "All My Friends" is, again, remarkably similar to "The Golden Path" by the Chemical Brothers/Flaming Lips, and consequently "Where The Streets Have No Name" by U2.

Almost a cover version, but not as colorful.

I wish I could share the consensus' enthusiasm for the whole LCD thing.

Posted by Fawkes | January 15, 2008 3:14 PM

@1) Dude. Daft Punk is so not playing at your house now. [your house]

Posted by louley | January 15, 2008 3:26 PM

i had to scroll down into the 600s to find an album i even considered buying, and into the 1000s before locating an album i actually bought. i feel pretty good about that.

Posted by brandon | January 15, 2008 3:43 PM

Beirut came in much lower than I thought and Okkervil River came in much higher than I expected. LCD Soundsystem is a great #1; I only ranked it as #2 to give Jens Lekman a bit of a nudge.

Posted by josh | January 15, 2008 4:00 PM

Yeah for you Brandon! You are the number one elitist music snob!

You beat the guy who ONLY listens to tribal drumming from African field recordings on wax cylinders played on ancient gramophones!

Posted by Jeff | January 15, 2008 4:01 PM

much to the contrary, jeff - your sarcastic snap would make sense if this were a list of the top sellers of 2007, not the top picks of critics, who are the epitome of elitist music snobs. i mean, who the fuck is panda bear?

Posted by brandon | January 15, 2008 5:52 PM

hey i stole a panda bear CD this year, its pretty good

Posted by vooodooo84 | January 15, 2008 5:56 PM

Who the fuck is Rhiana?

Posted by I'm a Nuclear Bomb | January 15, 2008 6:40 PM

who the fuck is panda bear?

Funniest thing I've read this year (I know, it's only Jan. 15, but still....).

Posted by oye como va | January 15, 2008 7:41 PM

i know i'm "uncool", but i don't read pitchfork. seriously, who the fuck is panda bear?

Posted by brandon | January 15, 2008 8:16 PM

Panda Bear is Noah Lennox of the band Animal Collective. His latest album, Person Pitch, has been reviewed practically EVERYWHERE on da WWW and in dead-tree publications.

Person Pitch really is all that.

Posted by oye como va | January 15, 2008 8:23 PM

i love your logic grandy, the more people who like something the better it is! that explains why the eagles are the best band ever...

Posted by bp | January 16, 2008 1:05 PM

More people like Daughtry or Hannah Montana than LCD Soundsystem, but you don't see me boosting them.

Posted by Eric Grandy | January 16, 2008 1:22 PM