« The Breakfast Taco | I Didn't Think I Would »

Friday, January 18, 2008

Goody’s

posted by on January 18 at 10:44 AM

goodys.jpgHow do you kill your hangover?

Someone help. Golob? Are you there?

Liquor and beer have been plural. The electricity in my brain is firing 5.1 surround road-kill.

Goody’s Headache Powder is the quickest cure I know. It’s powder that comes in this little packet. Dump into the back of your throat and follow with water. You may gag but the powder gets into your system quicker. Acetaminophen, aspirin, and caffeine are the active ingredients. It’s made for race car drivers who crash into walls. Their spokesperson is Richard Petty. #43. He’s crashed many cars. He’s had many beers. He is a svelte, convincing, pied piper of a redneck man. If he says Goody’s is what I should take, I’m taking it.

** Update: There is an English man sitting in front of me. He’s talking about his ‘travels’ and his ‘thesis’ and his ‘flat’ and ‘extreme cycling’. His accent is fake. I think he said he’s originally from here. He’s too fucking fancy. In a way, I want to sock him. That’s probably not OK, is it Golob?

Ah, already answered, with a remedy no less!

What is a committed drinker to do? Fluids. Convince a doctor or nurse friend to give you an IV. If your salvation must be by mouth, water alone won't cut it. Drink a liter of Pedialyte—find it in the infant section, used to treat children with massive diarrhea—or make Pedialyte yourself (eight teaspoons of table sugar, one teaspoon of salt, and a splash of orange juice in a quart of water), and you'll be happier in the morning. It works for cholera victims and it can work for you. If you find yourself getting hangovers regularly, it's time to think about cutting back on the drinking.

Still, everyone has their own remedies. When the homebrew Pedialyte fails for me, I go for coffee, aspirin and pancakes.

Posted by Jonathan Golob | January 18, 2008 10:59 AM

I'm hitting the infant section asap. Wait, 'Pedialyte' is a little too close to 'pedophile'. Hmm. I don't know about that.

The Goody's is bitter as shit.

Posted by trent moorman | January 18, 2008 11:07 AM

I'm having Sam's breakfast taco. That thing looks deelsh.

Posted by trent moorman | January 18, 2008 11:19 AM

1pt egg drop soup
32oz gatorade (lemon-lime is my preference)

Posted by cosby | January 18, 2008 11:34 AM

If you can find it, Alka Seltzer makes a product called "morning relief". Basically their regular stuff with caffiene thrown in. I swear by it, but not all drug stores carry it.

Posted by scharrera | January 18, 2008 11:56 AM

I don't know about the Pedialyte-ophile either. Looks good in theory.

Eggs, pancakes, Garorade, and that Goody's stuff. I'd just put the Goody's in warm water. The direct pouring of powder down the throat is too abrupt and jarring.

Posted by Natasha | January 18, 2008 11:58 AM

The breakfast menu at the Athenian (Pike Pl. Market) is the perfect hangover fixer. Tums not included.

Posted by D | January 18, 2008 12:39 PM

And Ginger Ale helps, for some reason.

Posted by D | January 18, 2008 1:02 PM

Quit crying and have a drink. Booze got you into this mess and a quick pop will get you out of it.

You gotta pass the devil both in and out of hell, my friend.

Posted by kerri harrop | January 18, 2008 1:30 PM

That's right Trent. There is only one answer - more Richard Petty.

Posted by Anna | January 18, 2008 2:53 PM

That's right Trent. There is only one answer - more Richard Petty.

Posted by Anna | January 18, 2008 2:53 PM

I hate the double comment and I just double commented. CRAP. LineOut has been goofy lately. Maybe it's just me.

Posted by Anna | January 18, 2008 2:58 PM

More Richard Petty. I completely agree with that. Has a monumental stache.

Posted by Daisy | January 18, 2008 4:03 PM

Yup, lots of fluids. And not just any fluids, but preferably an electrolyte solution to replenish all the sodium and potassium you diuresed into the toilet the night before. That's where the 'lyte' in Pedialyte comes from.

And getting a doctor or nurse to start an IV for you at home is not recommended, unless you're so sick that you can't take fluids by mouth or keep them down. If they don't use meticulous sterile technique when starting that IV, and if the fluids they're dripping into you are expired or otherwise not definitely sterile, you risk getting a vein infection (phlebitis) or even a system infection (sepsis). Not worth it for a hangover, imo.

Also, Goody's is the same mix as Extra Strength Excedrin. So if you crush up a couple of those (or just chew 'em), it'll work just as well.

Posted by rk | January 18, 2008 8:01 PM

And if I'm not allowed to sock people who are stupid, you're not allowed to sock people who are haughty.

Posted by rk | January 18, 2008 8:08 PM

That formula for homemade Pedialyte is Gatorade. Less embarrassing to buy.

Posted by F | January 19, 2008 3:00 PM