« The Pharmacy Posts New Songs | The Gutter Twins, "Idle Hands" »

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

“I Can’t Stand It”

posted by on January 9 at 12:49 PM

vu2.jpgFremont, WA - Coffee Shop Bathroom:
A cassette of The Best of the Velvet Underground ‘Words and Music of Lou Reedí has possibly been left behind. Let’s hope not—Lou and the gang poured their hearts and souls into these songs for us. I know itís “best of” and itís a cassette, but this just isnít the way to treat music. I inquired as to whether or not the cassette belonged to any of the employees and no one claimed it. They donít play cassettes there.

vu1.jpg

The cover art seemed to be using a camouflage technique to blend the cassette into the granite of the countertop, like a butterfly blending into the rainforest to escape a predator.

This best-of collection had been the most well rounded Velvet Underground compilation available because it included tracks from the band’s fourth studio album, Loaded, licensed from Atlantic Records.

If only Nico had been able to “Stay Healthy” like the sign near the sink says. What would the Velvet Underground be if they had washed for 20 seconds, rinsed well, and dried?

Q: "If only Nico had been able to ĎStay Healthyí like the sign says. But what would the Velvet Underground be if they had washed for 20 seconds, rinsed well, and dried?"

A: The Vaselines.

Posted by Jeff | January 9, 2008 1:01 PM

Very interesting. Searching Vaselines with my headphones on now.

Posted by trent moorman | January 9, 2008 1:02 PM

Unnofficial, but it works.

Posted by Jeff | January 9, 2008 1:08 PM

That was the first collection of Velvet Underground songs I was ever exposed to. Blew my seventh grade mind away.

Posted by tallchris | January 9, 2008 1:14 PM

The VU's music hasn't aged very well. Sad, because I remember loving it so much about 15 years ago.

Posted by Jason Josephes | January 9, 2008 1:15 PM

I don't know about Velvette 'sette, but I've been missing my Peter Frampton (Best of') disc. You know, the one with the 37 minute version of that song. Anyway, I think I left it on top of the condom dispenser.

Was it there?

Posted by Cooter Brown | January 9, 2008 1:17 PM

Jeff, I see it, or hear it, yes.

Chris, your stuff sounds good.

Jason, I know. Sometimes I agree, depends on the mood of the day. However, whenever and wherever I hear "Heroin" I have to listen until the song is over. I will stop what I'm doing and listen. And climax.

Cooter Brown, I can find your Best of Frampton disc, I know I can. I will scour until I find it.

Posted by trent moorman | January 9, 2008 1:25 PM

I think yoiu should start a Fremont bathroom guard. Who leaves VUnderground? And why? WIll Frampton be next? Was there a drug deal gone bad? Were drums involved?
Tante

Posted by Tante | January 9, 2008 1:34 PM

If you could find my 'Fellowship of the Ring' book on tape while you're at it, I would appreciate that.

Thank you.

Posted by Natasha | January 9, 2008 1:51 PM

Trent, forget those guys, I lost some Gortex gloves, could you move those to the top of the list. They cost $90! My hands are freezing.

Posted by Nico | January 9, 2008 2:05 PM

@5:
they aged well between 1967 and 1993, but not from 1967 to 2008? how is that possible? this is a terrible case of 'everything has gotten less cool since i found out about it'.

Posted by cosby | January 9, 2008 2:09 PM

Not at all. Some music doesn't age well. Same with some films and television shows. The only two Velvets songs that still get me excited are "What Goes On?" and "Rock & Roll."

Also, I have a few John Cale albums that I still listen to with some frequency.

Posted by Jason Josephes | January 9, 2008 2:14 PM

Jason:
I don't listen to them as much as I did between the ages of 13 and 18 (more often bootlegs when I do), but those records haven't aged for me at all. If anything, "White Light/White Heat" and "The Velvet Underground" have only gotten better.

Trent: Thank you!

Posted by tallchris | January 9, 2008 3:04 PM

The cassette is definitely blending in. It wants to escape its owner and find my Vangelis Soundtrack cassette to 'Chariots of Fire'.

Posted by Liz | January 9, 2008 3:59 PM

When I was growing up, it was considered transmitted wisdom that the Velvet Underground were not only brilliant songsmiths but somehow "important," which led to the oft-repeated observation that all the people who bought that Nico album went out afterwards and started their own bands. It's hard to deny that some of their music presages subsequent musical trends by several years and that Lou Reed wrote some great lyrics.

But in hindsight, there's very little of it I want to listen to any more. Maybe their status as Rock Critic Sacred Cows turns me off. Or maybe it's Reed's off-key singing, or the live takes that go on forever without ever finding a groove. I dunno.

Love "Femme Fatale" though.

Posted by flamingbanjo | January 9, 2008 4:24 PM

VaselinesVaselinesVaselinesVaselinesVaselinesVaselinesVaselinesVaselinesVaselinesVaselinesVaselinesVaselinesVaselinesVaselinesVaselinesVaselinesVaselinesVaselinesVaselinesVaselinesVaselinesVaselinesVaselinesVaselinesVaselinesVaselinesVaselinesVaselinesVaselinesVaselinesVaselinesVaselinesVaselinesVaselinesVaselinesVaselinesVaselinesVaselinesVaselinesVaselinesVaselinesVaselinesVaselinesVaselines
We want the Vaselines.
Better than grunge!

Posted by Biggie J | January 9, 2008 5:06 PM

It“s true you don“t need an attorney. I have settled two debts in 10 months, using Charles“ program. Have two more, and the natives have stopped drumming (i.e., quit calling) making me a bit nervous, but I“m way ahead of the game just paying off those other two. If I“d used a debt settlement company, I wouldn“t have had the cash to pay off those other two (huge) balances. It would have gone to the fees that the debt settlement companies take UP FRONT and right off the top.
debt settlement attorney