« WWMD? | Opinions, Assholes »

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Justice’s Rejected Fabric Mix: The Myth, The Truth (?), The Haters.

posted by on January 23 at 19:44 PM

6oopjme.jpg

Last year Justice sent a mix for a Fabriclive compilation.

It was rejected. The popular myth is that Fabric hated it. I have no idea if that is true. The truth is probably something closer to the fact that there is a ton of obscure shit on the mix, some of it very pop stuff on major labels, that was making the licensing of the mix a nightmare, so it was ditched. I have no idea if that is true.

What I do know is that it was posted on Stereogum and succinctly ravaged by haters with quotes like:

What a bunch of fags these guys are. I can’t believe they think they can play MSG. It’s just going to result in a bunch of hipsters sitting around with their arms crossed smoking fags and downing crunk juice. sigh.
this entire hipster ed slanger-banger-aoki bullshit dance scene is fueled by shitass capital from daddy bennihana. its soulless empty cartridges of nothingness. its all neon tee’s and zero art substance. there’s no art at all.
these dudes suck! i can’t believe people take them seriously.
grotesque

All the hatin’ made me want to check it out, so i did. I liked it. Does that make me a crunk swillin’ hipster? (Seriously, I’m old, I don’t go out, and I have a kid, that makes me totally uncool, right?) I mean what is not to like about a creative mix that starts with freakin’ Sparks, makes stops at Goblin and Zoot Woman only to end at Todd Rundgren for chrissake?

I liked how pop and how nutty it was. It pulled from lots of genres, but sounded fun to me.

But, wow! The hating! Reminded me of Line Out comments.

Anyhow, if your interested, another blog, Hippie Hippie Hoorah, is decontructing it and has downloads of most of the songs seperately.

Now that you know, listen, and tell me: what do you think?

PS. And I know this is probably old news and might even have been posted on this very blog before, so you can leave those comment out. Just opinions please.

Two words: Frank Stallone.

This mix is a blast. Sparks with Moroder on production, Uffie made tolerable by Nile Rogers, the original version of that Eternal Sunshine song. It's great.

Fabric fucked up.

Posted by Eric Grandy | January 23, 2008 8:42 PM

i thought it was rejected because it was too short

Posted by m | January 23, 2008 11:51 PM

i appreciate the PS as this olllld news.

the mix was one of the worst fabriclive i've heard. it was the one around the holidays right?

i love the justice boys and they are geniuses but everyone has a slip up now and then.

Posted by Paula | January 24, 2008 1:37 AM

I got it when Stereogum posted the link. It's ok, but because they offered it as one track rather than individual tracks I found myself skipping past most of it.

Posted by Jeff | January 24, 2008 8:19 AM

as #2 said, this mix was supposedly rejected because of length (this mix comes in at a little over 40 minutes unlike most fabric mixes hovering around 70 minutes). i would assume that the mix was also a little light as far as really hitting tracks; i read somewhere that fabric wanted a few newer songs on there.

i listened to and liked this mix, but i can see how it does not at all fit into the fabric / fabriclive mix line. this mix would have been perfect in the back to mine or another late night series, but it really sticks out here.

also, i don't think licensing is an issue because fabric has some deep pockets (the label is funded partially by the highly successful club night) and routinely licenses huge songs for these compilations. dj spinbad and jacques lu cont delivered mixes that seemed unlicensable - but they got them through.

also also, the dj craze fabric mix out next month looks tough.

Posted by cosby | January 24, 2008 9:28 AM

Someone will issue this mix. Not Fabric, but maybe DJ Kicks or Late Night Tales or Back To Mine or maybe Ed Banger themselves.

I listened to it, and it would have been the best mix on Fabric ever had Fabric decided or could release it.

Best surprises were the french pop songs. And yes, beginning with Sparks' "Tryouts For The Human Race" is a winner move.

Posted by mackro mackro | January 24, 2008 10:06 AM

Who, which, is this band that plays the Mr. Todd Rundgren? Said Justice? And Fabric is a band that sent something in to Justice and those of Justice didn't like it, right? Boy am I so v uncool. I have No idea what these people are talking about, only that I would like to know where I can hear someone other than Mr. R play Mr R's music!

Posted by athena | January 26, 2008 12:44 AM