« Snow! | Jape - "Floating" »

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Stunt Ass: The Rodeo in Space

posted by on January 15 at 11:31 AM

Brent Amaker and the Rodeo have a new video for the song “Sissy New Age Cowboy.” In the video, Brent gets his ass branded. We discussed:

Where did you all shoot it?
Brent: The video was shot at Manray during mornings and afternoon. (RIP Manray.) We had wardrobe people putting us in over stylie hip clothes. And we wore make-up. They gave me a girl’s hairstyle. This was for the Sissy Rodeo, mind you.

What was it like having your ass branded?
I had a stunt ass. The climax of the video has the real Rodeo band holding down the sissy me and branding my ass. Troy from Black Daisy came down with his nice taut ass and stood in as my stunt ass. I think he woulda been bummed if we’d gotten someone else to do it. He does squats on a regular basis.

Who else is in the video?
Chicks. It was kinda checking off a box from a boyhood dream. Actually, we didn’t get as many girls from the casting call as we wanted so the women from the crew had to do double duty and put on costumes and dance for the band. They worked really hard and dominated it.

What’s the concept of the video?
A bunch of cowboys battle themselves on a space station while the singer is fed a delicious steak and then brands his own ass.

This is your second video. What was your first video like?
We had a lot of success with the video for “You’re No Good”. I’d say we rode that video to Berlin. It showed a bunch of cowboys up in front of a green screen, and out on top of a mesa. I don’t know why, but people (especially Europeans) responded to it. Europe was hungry for cowboys on mesas, I guess.

Obviously, the next step was space?
Obviously. Cowboys kicking around in the desert is one thing, cowboys kicking ass in a 2001 Space Odyssey will put you on the map.

This is where local director Kris Kristensen comes in. An award winning documentarian and short feature director, Kristensen saw the video, got loaded at a Rodeo show, and starting drawing story-boards for “Sissy New Age Cowboy”, a song so malevolent and profane that it’s an odd choice for a single.

What do you mean by “Sissy.” And why do you eat a steak in the video?
Sissy like those fake, glammed up cowboys on cable TV all the time. Kris came up with the concept. The Rodeo plays a “sissy new age” country band dressed in CMT Nashville young country uniforms and then the real Rodeo comes in wearing the black outfits and wails on them. In the middle, I eat a steak. There’s not enough eating in videos, today.

So there was a crew and everything?
Holy shit, you should see these film people work. Being in a band can be tough, but the crew were setting up at 6:30 AM, doing endless rehearsal takes, whipping out light meters, moving lights moving everything from one side of the room to the other. Mostly, we just hung back and made fun of each other for wearing make-up and trying to catch the Seahawks scores at Kincora and staying out of the way.

And they have a whole different language. This one guy, Roy, the guy with the camera, he’d look right at you. I mean RIGHT at you. Like be intensely excruciatingly looking at you and then he’d say, “Open the barn door about three centimeters and broom the half apple.” He was talking to the crew. Made me feel dumb.

What’s next?
Probably cowboys in a futuristic submarine, or on a mountain. But only if it fits the song. We play at The Summit at Snoqualmie February 1st, 10pm.

The music rocks, the concept rocks, the classic of classicness.
Now let's really hear it for the ladies of the crew who do double duty And do they ever!!!!!Where is their entourage?
Tante

Posted by Tante | January 15, 2008 12:07 PM

GREAT VIDEO. Damn, if only MTV played stuff like that still.

Posted by StrangerDanger | January 15, 2008 12:28 PM

An ass double, that is new. Almost as good as assclown. No, it's not as good as assclown. I take that back.

Posted by Brian | January 15, 2008 12:46 PM

This may be really dumb, ok, it's definitely dumb, but can an assclown have an ass double?

Posted by Brian | January 15, 2008 12:47 PM

Implants. Brent should have gotten an ass implant. Then he could do all the ass shots he want.

Black Daisy Troy is by far my favorite KEXP DJ by far. I love him. Didn't know he had a nice ass. Squats, really?

Posted by Anna | January 15, 2008 12:56 PM

Yes indeed, this was my first official stunt ass job. I had applied for some stunt ass jobs in the past, but since my ass is so white, hairless, and dough-like, the only company that ever responded was Pillsbury. (for some reason they thought that if my ass was in an oven, it would make a mean loaf of bread.)
So I was honored when The Rodeo called me up.
Finally my ass gets the admiration and respect it deserves.
I hope they weren't disappointed that my ass was hungover for the shoot. I told it not to drink the night before, and sure enough, it did.
After it puked in the morning, it felt better and we were ready to make music video history!

Posted by Troy | January 15, 2008 1:07 PM

Nice ass, Troy. You ass double, stunt assclown. I am late night listener of yours and now I've seen your ass. It will make my listening so much better now.

Excellent video. Manray was the perfect spot for the shoot.

Posted by Kev | January 15, 2008 1:16 PM

That was fun, even when they got tired of us and kicked us to the curb! RIP ManRay.

Posted by Elayne | January 15, 2008 1:27 PM

The steak makes the video. Not the ass.

@6: "Finally my ass gets the admiration and respect it deserves." -

I do stairmaster twice a week and no one notices that my ass tries. You sum up my feelings.

Posted by Thrusters in orbit turn me to the sun | January 15, 2008 1:30 PM

I think the submarine has been done though. By some band called the Beatles.

Posted by Thrusters in orbit turn me to the moon | January 15, 2008 1:32 PM

It was my hope that if we accomplished anything with this video shoot, it would be to give Troy and his ass respect. I'm glad to see we have accomplished our mission.

Posted by Brent Amaker | January 15, 2008 1:47 PM

I'm sure that's not the first time there's been an ass double. I bet Cher has ass doubles.

Posted by PerryQ | January 15, 2008 3:38 PM