« Tonight in Music | Another Story About How Kimya ... »

Friday, January 25, 2008

The Limits of Hiphop

posted by on January 25 at 10:27 AM

Picture%202.jpg

At the end of the 80s, Just Ice rapped to the border of the rupture in the production of music. The border where played music comes to an end, and replayed music begins. The song is called “Going Way Back,” and Just Ice, prompted by KRS-One, journeys back to the limit and has a limit-experience, not unlike the one Michel Foucault experienced (or desired to experience) in the bathhouses of San Francisco. Just Ice raps to the limit of knowledge, that twilight zone haunted by the forms of forgotten MCs and DJs. And just as he is about to run out of the names of those “who were there,” and crossover into sheer nonsense and nothingness, he is retrieved by KRS-0ne: “Well, I think that is about as far as we can go.” Because it has a beginning, hiphop must have an end. Jazz, for example, ended in 1969. When will hiphop end?

who swapped salvia divinorum for your double mint gum this morning?

i don't think one could say jazz ended at any point - it could be argued that a type ended at 19xx, but it continues in different forms. hip-hop, also, continues and will always continue in different forms. i would argue that, as far as music genres are concerned, hip-hop changes and adapts faster than most other types of music (if not all types).

Posted by cosby | January 25, 2008 11:11 AM

ps. 'cold getting dumb'.

Posted by cosby | January 25, 2008 11:12 AM

hip hop ended in 1991.

Posted by chops | January 25, 2008 11:19 AM

chops, my guess is 1997. but i'm not sure. there are signs that indicate it is still alive.

Posted by charles mudede | January 25, 2008 11:44 AM

Hip Hop ended when Heath Ledger died.

A full 3 days before you would've ended it yourself referencing it with your soulful, introspective parochial bath house longings.

No jaundiced eye left unsquinched in Mudede's rich panorama of "Anywhere But Unfucked"

Riddle me this, Dreamerpants...Where does Grandy end?

2000 words. Due today. Go.

Posted by Rakim's Snatch | January 25, 2008 11:49 AM

Me and my band, man
On the yacht with Marylin Manson
Getting a tan man
Uuwaaa!

Posted by Brandon | January 25, 2008 11:51 AM

hiphop ended when dre killed hisself

Posted by hophead | January 25, 2008 1:01 PM

Nate Dogg had a stroke.

T-Pain Comes Alive is a classic album.

Posted by Rimshot. | January 25, 2008 1:19 PM

We should listen to Charle's opinions on music? This guy has been championing the same tired dubstep album for a year now.

Charles, dubstep is just a hyped term. It's not an actual genre of music.

Oh wait, I am into rock music! I like dub too! Ta-da! Drub is a new genre of music!

Posted by Sorry Charlie | January 25, 2008 2:12 PM

people die homey, rap and jazz live forever like ideas and batman

Posted by ndrwmtsn | January 25, 2008 2:28 PM

So, you're saying the aroma lingers?

If I can smell it in my sleep should I bother waking up at all?

Posted by I Jerk Myself Blind To Hawkwind | January 25, 2008 3:13 PM

Why 1969? Have you heard Charles Mingus "Changes: One" (1974)? Is that not jazz?

Posted by Emanon | January 25, 2008 4:38 PM

It died when Vanilla Ice hit.

Posted by it's all meat form the same bone | January 25, 2008 4:40 PM

Perhaps jazz and hip-hop were both killed in 1991 by Miles Davis and his phenomenally booty-shaking album "Doo-bop."

Posted by Turnaround | January 25, 2008 4:50 PM

I would say that the only thing that's died is Charles' relevancy as a music critic.

Posted by I'm a Nuclear Bomb | January 25, 2008 5:20 PM

Yooo, Turnaround @ 14...don't trip homie.

Easy Mo Bee saw the future...and it smelled like a pair of white twins from Kenmore doing something positive for the community (it also smelled like Nag Champ and S-Curl on a 70 year old hype).

Only the good die young. Crap just keeps on comin'.

Posted by That's That Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. (It's Doo-Doo Baby!) | January 25, 2008 7:29 PM

TTS @16 - White twins from Kenmore? You gotta break that one down a bit further. I do wonder what you're talking about.

Posted by Turnaround | January 25, 2008 9:34 PM

life is so rich

Posted by lar | January 25, 2008 10:08 PM

Your dogma makes me catatonic.

Posted by oye como va | January 26, 2008 2:29 AM