« Nirvana vs. Everyone Since: Is... | Today in Music News »

Monday, January 7, 2008

Today In Soundgarden News:

posted by on January 7 at 13:55 PM

soundgordon.jpg

There is nothing new to report. They remain a better band than both Nirvana and Alice in Chains.

BULLSHIT!!!!!! KIRBY, GO BACK TO YOUR HOLE ON THE EASTSIDE!

NIRVANA FOREVER!!! ABERDEEN PRIDE!!!

Posted by Ari Spool | January 7, 2008 2:07 PM

Grunge is dad.

Posted by Eric Grandy | January 7, 2008 2:16 PM

grunge is dead, but Nirvana will always and forever be the king of them all.

kirby what are you on about?

Posted by terry miller | January 7, 2008 2:32 PM

I agree, Soundgarden was better. Temple of the Dog might be my favorite, however.

Posted by TJ | January 7, 2008 2:35 PM

temple of the dog? dude! why?

Posted by cosby | January 7, 2008 2:44 PM

One time I saw Chris Cornell eating waffles (or pancakes) at Minnies on Broadway when I was 18. Or 19. He was by himself. I believe he also had orange juice.

Posted by Megan Seling | January 7, 2008 2:51 PM

Tad forever!!

Posted by blip | January 7, 2008 3:02 PM

It could have been a mimosa. But the real question is: Were the pancakes/waffles larger or smaller than his gigantic motherfucker of a head?

Posted by Ari Spool | January 7, 2008 3:03 PM

Jeff, Soundgarden?

They may have been my first show (Spokane Arena in May of '94 on the "Superunknown" tour), but there is no way they are a better band than Nirvana.

This is entirely due to Chris Cornell.

Posted by tallchris | January 7, 2008 3:06 PM

in a completely conceivable marvel comics "what if?" scenario: if kurt would have not killed himself, he could've fronted a new band formed with the ex-members of the stone temple pilots to create lukewarm radio singles for heavy kroc rotation. take that audioslave!

Posted by cosby | January 7, 2008 3:15 PM

tallchris: Cornell used to have unparalleled pipes. see: "slaves and bulldozers" on badmotorfinger. Of course Nirvana was a more "important" band culturally, and were undeniably sweet, but when it boils down to it I would rather listen to badmotorfinger than nevermind, and I would rather listen to "superunknown" than "in utero." I am only sick of hearing one soundgarden song: "black hole sun." I am sick of hearing several nirvana songs: "heart shaped box," "teen spirit," "come as you are." this is due to mtv and radio overplay, but it is a truth nonetheless. there are a select few nirvana songs that I think still totally 'rock:' "scentless apprentice" and "breed" are key examples. for soundgarden, the list is much, much bigger.

none of this should go to discount my love for nirvana. it should only go to strengthen my love for soundgarden, which is mighty.

Posted by Jeff Kirby | January 7, 2008 3:42 PM

Kurt probably saw that in his future.

Posted by rk | January 7, 2008 3:43 PM

Jeff, you must be smoking some "unparalleled pipes."

Posted by Eric Grandy | January 7, 2008 3:52 PM

Grunge was shit. None of these bands are worth a damn.

Posted by Fnarf | January 7, 2008 4:29 PM

All of you need to get out more.

Posted by Biggie J | January 7, 2008 4:43 PM

In a parallel universe after Kurt died Ben Shepherd took over as singer guitarist and Nirvana soldiered on.

Posted by Ray Shackleford | January 7, 2008 5:08 PM

Another lame fucking Kirby post.

WHAT THE FUCK. Is anything you do not boring?

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Posted by ZZZZZZZZZZ | January 7, 2008 5:41 PM

jeff, you fucking love soundgorden so hard.

Posted by grunge is dad | January 7, 2008 5:42 PM

Kirby is the Truth.

Posted by laterite | January 7, 2008 6:00 PM

Kirby is the biggest hack I have ever read.

Posted by ZZZZZZZZZZ | January 7, 2008 6:23 PM

They're no U-MEN.

Posted by Paulus | January 7, 2008 7:49 PM

@21: thank you Dan.

Stating the obvious: Nirvana, Soundgarden, many, many others including Mudhoney and the aforementioned U-Men and Screaming Trees and Dead Moon, then some bands you hate to admit you like (now is the time to bring up Temple Of The Dog or Cat Butt), THEN Alice In Chains.

Jesus.

Posted by kerri harrop | January 8, 2008 1:06 AM

I respect Soundgarden more due to the fact that they have the power to actually get the band back together.

I just hope they wait 20+ years before they do so. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to muster a shit over it.

Posted by godsactionfigure | January 8, 2008 1:33 AM

Soundgarden is one of those bands that seemed amazing at first and got progressively more crappy. The Screaming Life EP, about half of UltraMega OK, and that HIV Baby 7" were ramped up, but most of the music they're famous for is long slow rock ballads that weren't much different from '70s stadium rock. Grunge was some amalgamation of rock, punk and the Northwest garage band sound of the '60s, but you don't hear any punk or garage in later Soundgarden, or for that matter craptastic bands like Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Temple of the Dog, etc.

Posted by dan10things | January 8, 2008 9:20 AM

Kirbs...C'MON...go buy some Deep Purple (MK2) LPs, at least Machine Head and Fireball! Soundgarden was...well...always kinda lame as their version, that being their BAND Soundgarden, of Deep Purple was 3rd rate. No one I knew liked 'em beyond the Screaming Life, Ultramega records, when did they come out, '88? And then by the time they made MTV those who thought those records were "okay" had changed their minds...Of course, that guy Kim is super nice, though at the fake MC5 show a few years ago his contribution was...uh, interesting...he needed a FAN to blow his hair around during the two chord rave up of Kick Out The Jams. Eep.

RE: Nirvana - I'd rather listen to the Melvins!

Posted by nipper | January 8, 2008 9:45 AM

I agree with Dan @24 assessment.

And c'mon Kerri, Dead Moon was in a class all their own. Not an ounce of me hates to admit I like'em.

Posted by Dougsf | January 8, 2008 5:45 PM