Archives for 02/10/2008 - 02/16/2008

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Sound Off! Semi-Finals, Round Two Tonight

posted by on February 16 at 4:35 PM

Here’s who’s playing this week at Level 3 at EMP|SFM:

knowmads.jpg

Seattle crew KnowMads name Blue Scholars, Tupac, and OutKast as a few of their biggest influences. Their songs are relaxed and cool—catchy hooks and grooves loop underneath the MCs’ passionate but laid-back delivery. “Sunrise” has a vintage feel to it—the balladesque music might be played during a couples skate at the roller rink; the lyrics address political and social issues and express optimistic personal thoughts.

Listen to “Home” by KnowMads.

scribes.jpg

Scribes, a solo rapper also from Seattle, has a more abrasive style—his flow is quicker and more aggressive than that of KnowMads, while his piano/horn-heavy tracks (produced by Sound Dialect) nod to jazz, blues, and soul. He takes on the things that dumb down society in “Distractions” (“Distractions/From the clothes that I get/to the women swimming in my television set/I’m staring in a daze/like a media slave”). He has some range, though—the song “Sweetheart” is a little more playful.

Listen to “Soully” by Scribes.

nextdoorneighbors.jpg

Jumping from hiphop into singer/songwriter territory, this weekend’s show also has two folk-influenced artists. The Nextdoor Neighbors, from Olympia, are a pair of young women who accent their quaint, lo-fi pop songs with electronic flourishes that sound like they come from kids’ toys. Pat Goodwin, on the other hand, is a solo artist from Seattle, who, with a piano and backing tracks of drums and bass, is comparable to previous Sound Off! finalists the Lonely Forest.

Listen to “Cultural Revolution” by the Nextdoor Neighbors.

patgoodwin.jpg

Listen to “For a Sailor” by Pat Goodwin.

Who’s gonna take it? The singer/songwriters? The hiphoppers? Show up at EMP Saturday at 8:00 p.m. to find out. Tickets are $10 for the general public.

Two Excellent Shows

posted by on February 16 at 3:41 PM

sleepy1.jpg

Chop Suey has a FREE show tonight with recent Sub Pop signees Foals, Oakland’s the Heavenly States, and Seattle’s own movie magicians Sleepy Eyes of Death. Show at 8:00pm, and it’s free, so you have no good reason to miss checking out Sleepy Eyes unless…

bannon.jpg

You are going to see Converge and Neurosis at Neumos. Opening tonight (21+) is Brooklyn’s A Storm of Light, opening tomorrow (all-ages) is the mighty Akimbo. Metal shows don’t get much better than this.

Sonic Boom Fremont

posted by on February 16 at 6:27 AM

Photographer Bill Anthony took these pictures and had this to say about the closing of the Fremont Sonic Boom:

sb_interior.jpg

Seattle keeps breakin’ my heart man. So help me, if they ever close the Buckaroo Tavern, I hope this town slides into the Puget Sound leaving nothing behind but dirty bubbles rising to the surface.

Friday, February 15, 2008

Also Tonight!

posted by on February 15 at 5:14 PM

Duh. The Fleet Foxes and the Pharmacy are playing a show at the Vera Project.

From this week’s Underage:

The Pharmacy are playing at the Vera Project with Fleet Foxes on Friday, February 15. It’ll be both bands’ last local show for a while, as they’re each hitting the road for spring tours. The Pharmacy will be back later this month, though, to release their new album, Choose Your Own Adventure, before hitting the road again. Fleet Foxes will be gone until April.

Re: I’m Down For Runnin’ Up On Those Crackers In They City Hall Cop Car

posted by on February 15 at 2:55 PM

Dub Narcotic Sound System - “Fuck Shit Up”

Spray-paint the walls…waste a pig…smash your car…and make it fucked up

Also: Rainddrop Hustla has an eyewitness account.

Also Tonight

posted by on February 15 at 2:48 PM

nectarfeb15_1.jpg

Nat Damm, you make some fine show fliers. But what’s going on at the bottom there? Is that the Avenged Sevenfold logo with two pickles?

Today’s Music News

posted by on February 15 at 2:45 PM

Elvis Costello finalizes tour dates with Police- Sting and Elvis: Like a match made in heaven.

Also announcing tour dates today are: N.E.R.D. and Cat Power
and Dolly Parton

My Bloody Valentine flip flops on Coachella decision- “Don’t worry—They’ll come to America”

Guitar Hero: Aerosmith to be released in June: Of all the bands they could have picked to make the game around, aren’t you glad they picked this one?

Tonight in Music

posted by on February 15 at 2:01 PM

Six Organs of Admittance, I’m a Gun, Climax Golden Twins
(Sunset) Long gone are the days when Ben Chasny (aka Six Organs of Admittance) crafted limited-pressing, four-track acoustic recordings in his Arcata home. His latest studio album for Drag City, Shelter from the Ash, continues to augment acoustic folk with electrified experimentalism, resulting in a fuller sound that’s still a little dirty around the edges. “Alone with the Alone” kicks off with fried guitar noodling; “Strangled Road” and “Jade Like Wine” are parched, moonlit ballads; “Coming to Get You” is lazy, velvet psychedelia. “Goddess Atonement” is an instrumental passage that shifts from cascades of steel fingerpicking to an electrified octave lead and then back. Windmilling rock bombast eventually breaks the airy strum of “Final Wing.” The title track features a massively flanged solo. “Goodnight” is the dreamy, quiet coda. ERIC GRANDY
Sing Sing: Blaqstarr, DJ Paul Devro
(War Room) For most everywhere beyond Baltimore city limits, Blaqstarr is the face of “native” club music, a genre virus of bass-as-all-fuck breakbeats and quickly looping, mostly illicit cut ‘n’ paste pop samples. If you haven’t heard the monster “Hands Up, Thumbs Down” hook or the endlessly remixable “Shake It to the Ground”—Diplo, Switch, Claude VonStroke, and Drop the Lime have all had a turn—in a club yet, you’ve at least caught whiffs of the watermark beat in everything from M.I.A. and Diplo to Bonde do Role and Young Leek (“Jiggle It”). Blaqstarr, by his lonesome, is on the gentler side of things than the stuff that rattles windows in B-more, balancing the bang—gunshots? snare-capped bass?—with his own high-pitched, seductive rhymes and singsong soul breaks, the latter of which really should be subclassified as a date-rape drug. MICHAEL BYRNE

From this week’s Bug in the BassbinDJ Starski’s playing at Electric Avenue at CHAC:

While it lasted, the rise in ghettotech’s cultural stock gave Detroit DJs like Starski the opportunity to act as ambassadors for the genre. Starski, half of the duo Starski and Clutch, produced “Belle Isle Players” and the CD Don’t Stop ‘Til You Jit Enough, two hallmarks of the sound. He’s also been involved with labels like DJ Godfather’s Databass Records and Twilight 76. Starski’s regarded as a favorite in “the D,” so if anyone’s got the pedigree to show where electro-bass has gone since the spotlight moved away, it’s him.

And suggested from the Score:

LINDA KLINE LAMAR
What compares to the viola’s mellow, sometimes morose, tender tone? Certainly not the flashier violin. For this solo concert, Kline Lamar, a Boise-based violist, plays Joan Tower’s “Wild Purple,” Max Reger’s Suite No. 1 in G minor, and “Chahagir” by Alan Hovhaness. Brechemin Auditorium in the Music Building, UW Campus, 685-8384, 7:30 pm, $10.

ANDRE FERIANTE
The sonic equivalent of “historical romance” novels, this singer/guitarist plays unabashedly romantic music rooted in flamenco and classical guitar. Blessed with 1920s matinee-idol looks (a pouting gaze and goatee worthy of Hollywood’s classic pirate movies), Feriante frames lyrics of love, longing, and rarefied lust with swooning strums and florid picking. Recital Hall at Benaroya, 200 University St, 292-2787, 8 pm, $35.

SEATTLE IMPROVISED MUSIC FESTIVAL
The second weekend of North America’s longest-running improvised music festival has a slew of musicians including Greg Sinibaldi (Fri Feb 15) cult Downtown trumpeter Lesli Dalaba (Sun Feb 17 at Gallery 1412), first-call percussionist Greg Campbell, and yours truly. Stéphane Rives, an astonishing French improviser who compels the soprano saxophone to make starkly minimal electronic music, performs all three nights. Fourth-floor Chapel Performance Space, Good Shepherd Center, 4649 Sunnyside Ave N, 8 pm, $10—$25 sliding-scale donation.

Club Pop: Hook-Ups

posted by on February 15 at 1:56 PM

Club Pop, Chop Suey: Beats beat on hot moving bodies and made sweat. FITS, Colby B, Glitterpants, Gasworx, and Sam Rousso centered and putt out pounding beneath Breakfast Club:

pop4.jpg

pop2.jpg

Sean Spits. You’ve seen him. You love him. I’m not sure if he knows Duff Mckagan or not:

popspits.jpg

Later evening hook-ups. Tacos Gringos:

popcrop.jpg

Where the MP3s Are

posted by on February 15 at 1:50 PM

Over at WFMU, my friend and former roommate Clinton McClung finally reprises his wonderful MP3 Truffles show by giving away all his secrets. He’s listing his top twelve MP3 blogs and then asking those bloggers to list a few of their favorite MP3 blogs. My feed reader is heavy with exciting new music now.

King Cobra: Love - Death

posted by on February 15 at 12:23 PM

King Cobra was alive last night with head banging metal fun. It was a practice run of the sound system and a prelude to the grand opening slated for the end of this month. My Bloody Heavy Metal Valentine featured Sindios and metal cover band, Iron Falcon. As in, fuck yeah. The stage is big, Kelly Berry has dialed the sound, and the people are amped. Evil energy is good. Cold beer is cold. Jenny Bendel rules.

Iron Falcon is Alison from the Valkyries, Robbie from Skelator, Erik from Fallen Angels, Chris from the Ones, and Jeffrey previously with Book of Black Earth.

Iron Falcon’s set: “I Want Out” – Helloween, “Freewheel Burning” – Judas Priest, “Symptom of the Universe” – Black Sabbath, “Nuns Have No Fun” – Mercyful Fate, “Black Magic” – Slayer, “Wrathchild” – Iron Maiden, “Wild Child” – W.A.S.P., “In League with Satan” – Venom. Diiiiiiiee. Do death right:

cobra7.jpg

cobra8.jpg

cobra4.jpg

Slats. You’ve seen him. You love him. He knows Duff Mckagan. (‘Where’s Slats?’ - Stranger forum) :

slats.jpg

Sindios emitted razors of crunch. Frequencies gurgled in your marrow. Songs of death were sung:

cobra3.jpg

The Return of the Eternal Return

posted by on February 15 at 11:46 AM

News about Portishead!
portishead.jpg

Portishead announce the release of ‘Third’ [on 4/29/08] their hugely anticipated new album, their fourth album in total and first since 1998’s ‘Roseland NYC live’.

Portishead are; Geoff Barrow, Adrian Utley and Beth Gibbons

I thought the album came out last year and went without causing even a breeze. The last studio album the trio released was over a decade ago. By the time the new one hits the streets, Bush will have almost completed two terms in office. I think it would have been better if Portishead had called it a day back in the day.

Boston Tells Huckabee to Suck It

posted by on February 15 at 11:15 AM

scaled.Boston2.jpg

From the New York Post’s Page Six:

The founder of the rock band Boston is enraged that Mike Huckabee is using his band’s hit “More Than a Feeling” on the campaign trail. He’s written a letter to Huckabee demanding the GOP candidate stop using it. “Boston has never endorsed a political candidate, and with all due respect, would not start by endorsing a candidate who is the polar opposite of most everything Boston stands for,” wrote Tom Scholz. “In fact, although I’m impressed you learned my bass guitar part on ‘More Than a Feeling,’ I am an Obama supporter.”

Wee Guitar Hero

posted by on February 15 at 10:23 AM

I can’t play any musical instruments* and I don’t play video games, and I’ve only played Guitar Hero once, and I was so embarrassingly bad at it that I never want to touch the goddamned thing ever again.

But I’m oddly intrigued by this tiny, almost pocket-sized, home version of Guitar Hero, which will allegedly sell for fifteen bucks.

Continue reading "Wee Guitar Hero" »

I’m Down For Runnin’ Up On Those Crackers In They City Hall Cop Car

posted by on February 15 at 8:58 AM

A hip-hop concert at The Evergreen State College ended in a riot early Friday in which a Thurston County sheriff’s patrol car was overturned and looted.

Officer[s] arrested a man inside the venue and placed him in the back of the patrol car. Some of the concertgoers were taunting and questioning the actions of the officer, said Trooper Brandy Kessler of the Washington State Patrol.

“They didn’t feel the arrest that was being made was fair,” she said.

The crowd continued to grow and became more aggressive.

“Some people blocked the police car that was trying to take the student away,” said Dan Hilden, a 20-year-old Evergreen student who attended the concert.

Concerned for her safety, the officer called for backup and the arrested man was eventually released.

Six sheriff’s deputies who arrived to assist the campus officer reported that several people in the crowd were throwing rocks, bottles and even a garbage can at the them, and others were grabbing at the deputies’ guns.

What would make dirty hippie Evergreen kids want to riot?

This:

Happy Valentine’s Day, courtesy of DPZ.

Best Queen Lyric for Today

posted by on February 15 at 8:22 AM

“Don’t shun it, fun it.
Don’t shun it, fun it.
Don’t shun it, fun it.”

From, of course, “Fun It.”

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Response to Valentines Day: Sleep Though Sunlight, Listen to Metal

posted by on February 14 at 5:07 PM

I missed out on the “share your favorite love song” thing earlier on because I didn’t wake up until well into the afternoon, thanks to an intense binge of the Wire that kept me awake until 6am. That’s good television right there. I don’t care much for valentines day this year, or most years really. It’s my general inclination to want to sit around and listen to metal songs about heartache, regardless if whether mine is broken or not. I tried to find a video of “the Broken Vow” by Converge as an example, since they are playing both Saturday and Sunday night at Neumos with Neurosis, but if that news excites you then you already know that live footage of Converge almost universally sounds like crap. There is something despondently lovely about a crowd of people screaming, “I’ll take my love to the grave!” in unison, jumping over each other’s backs to get to the microphone. If you haven’t seen Converge before you’ve got a whole weekend to make it happen.

A show that was not listed earlier but is where I will find myself this evening is at the Sunset Tavern. It’s a Valentines Metal show with Bacchus, Evangelist, and Bellingham prog -thrash troubadors Cicadas. If you have not seen Cicadas, which I can almost guarantee you have not, you should do so when given the chance. Much like the insect from which they are named, they do not emerge with great frequency, but when they do it is a swarm.

Lastly I give my favorite love song, my favorite positive one at least, set to a sensuous softcore soap opera montage.

House of Disco Lovers

posted by on February 14 at 4:46 PM

On the “day of love”, I thought I would post the very fitting and very soulful Dimitri From Paris re-edit of Ron Hall & The Muthafunkaz’s “The Way You Love Me”. This edit originally appeared on Dimitri’s amazing ” disco-love themed” mix compilation In The House Of Love in 2006 off of Defected Records sublabel ITH Records. This compilation is a delight for disco lovers as Dimitri puts his magical touch on classic disco cuts like The OriginalsDown To Love Town”, France Joli’s “Feel Like Dancing”, and Cerrone’s “Hooked On YOu” to name a few. This classic mix compilation was repackaged and re-released for Valentines Day 2007, and included an extra CD of unmixed Dimitri disco edits. A great soundtrack for your valentines house party, or any day of the year for that matter!

Ron Hall & The MuthaFunkaz - The Way You Love Me
(Dim’s T.S.O.P. Version)

The Tate and the Kwesi

posted by on February 14 at 3:31 PM

Good news! Greg Tate is coming to EMP’s Pop Conference.
Greg%20Tate.jpg
There is no other reason why I write for a weekly than the work Tate produced for the Village Voice in the 80s and 90s. True, I do not agree with his position on Miles Davis’ late work (on that point I side with another hero, Stanley Crouch), but Tate’s pieces on hiphop and contemporary black culture in general overflow with brilliant insights and ideas.

Sadly, I will miss Tate’s reading because at the moment he is talking about his thing, I will be taking about my thing. And my thing will be Linton Kwesi Johnson.
johnson3.jpg

The dub poetry of Linton Kwesi Johnson still gives me the intoxication of the revolutionary mood. Wine and Kwesi always get me drunk.

Today’s Music News: Valentine’s Edition

posted by on February 14 at 3:16 PM

In honor of Valentine’s Day, all of the music news will be poems that make no sense.

Thom Yorke DJ’s NPR- Ok Computer, what art, and what grace/ A Valentine treat for the whole human race/ NPR delivers always, a wonderful sound/ Out the way, brother, I’m Valentine bound!

Kanye West release complete tour schedule- You know, people say he’s the next Jay-Z/ A super producer? Well his songs are amazing!/ Now to travel the world, whilst spreading his funk/ I still can’t help but feel like he ripped off Daft Punk

Fleet Foxes prep album and tour- Their voices like angels, a V-Day surprise/ With voices like that, you gotta love these guys!/ Tonight we get sweaty, so take off your socks/ Not a creature is stirring, not even a fox

Lou Reed, David Byrne, and posse to play Iraq Benefit- A concert held to end the war/ A country divided, they say “no more”/ Byrne was in The Talking Heads/ Valentine’s sucks, I wish I was dead (not really) (ok, really).

A Cure for the Valentine’s Blues

posted by on February 14 at 2:34 PM

Valentine’s Day can be a very depressing time. Watch this and you will immediately feel a whole lot worse.

Kay Kay in the Tank

posted by on February 14 at 1:39 PM

kkalbumart.jpgThe new Kay Kay and His Weathered Underground record took a year to make. Lives and times were invested and intertwined. Story – here. Some of the songs had up to a hundred tracks. Name an instrument, and there’s a chance it was recorded. Horns, strings, banjo, and of course theremin. I spent some time in the studio with the band:

The record was tracked at Phil Peterson’s House of Breaking Glass then mixed and mastered by Tom Pfaeffle at his Tank Studio in Black Diamond, WA.

Pfaeffle has worked with and for Nirvana, Queensryche, Aerosmith, the Black Crowes, UB40, Alice Cooper, and BB King. He’s also taught audio production at the Art Institute of Seattle for thirteen years and he likes kaleidoscopes. We spoke about his process and approach to Kay Kay. There are vinyl and digital formats available:

How is mixing and mastering for vinyl different than for CD?
Tom: Vinyl tends to be more dynamic. The digital mixes for Kay Kay are louder and more compressed. On a record, the first tracks (closer to the outer edge) have larger grooves. That means more bass response and dynamic range. Toward the center, the grooves shrink and it tightens the frequency. Highs and lows get choked. We definitely kept this in mind when we mixed and arranged the song order.

When you were on the Nirvana sound crew, did you ever touch Kurt Cobain?
What?

Nothing, please forget I asked that.
OK.

Continue reading "Kay Kay in the Tank" »

Sexy, Sexy Pleasureboaters

posted by on February 14 at 12:45 PM

I love this band.

pleasureboaters-val.jpg

Photo by Lauren Max (from the Stranger Flickr Pool), Valentine addition by Ari Spool.

The Stranger Loves Love… and This Is What Love Sounds Like to Us

posted by on February 14 at 12:13 PM

It’s Valentine’s Day. Aww. So I asked a bunch of my coworkers what their favorite love songs are. Of course, it’s a really fucking hard question to answer, but they did their best—here are the love songs everyone here loves. For today at least. See if you can guess whose is whose. I’ll post the answers later today.

1. “Cotton Crown” by Sonic Youth
2. “If It’s the Beaches” by the Avett Brothers
3. “Heat Wave” by Martha & the Vandellas
4. “The Highest Commitment” by Qwel (“Basically a love letter written to anthropomorphized weed”)
5. “Jinx Removing” by Jawbreaker

H. Josh Feit
I. Ari Spool
J. Kelly O
K. Eric Grandy
L. Megan Seling
M. Gillian Anderson

Some runners up, by the way: “Total Eclipse of the Heart” by Bonnie Tyler, “Yucatan Gold” by Throw Me the Statue, “Need You Around” by the Smoking Popes, “So Far Away” by Carole King, “Kiss Me Deadly” by Generation X, “The Passenger” by Iggy Pop, “In the Still of the Night” by the Five Satins, “I’ll Be There” by the Jackson 5, “She’s Real” by Kicking Giant and covered by Built to Spill/Caustic Resin, “Forever Got Shorter” by Braid, “Sweepstakes Prize” by Mirah, “Only in Dreams” by Weezer, “Digital Love” by Daft Punk… and so many more. Obviously we have a lot of love at The Stranger.

You should tell me your favorite, too.

(UPDATE: Answers are after the jump.)

Continue reading "The Stranger Loves Love... and This Is What Love Sounds Like to Us" »

HAPPY VALENTINE’S DAY from 206Proof

posted by on February 14 at 12:05 PM

Here’s but a sampling of the Valentine goodness currently found on the Proof…
fliz.jpg

Continue reading "HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY from 206Proof" »

I am Not a Motherfucking Morning Person

posted by on February 14 at 10:41 AM

As of yesterday, I have to wake up at 8 in the motherfucking morning. This is a challenge for me, because I usually roll out of bed at ten and accomplish exactly nothing until one or two in the afternoon. I am a night person, and yesterday I think I fell asleep before ten p.m.

I had a day job over ten years ago, and I hated every minute of the mornings: the crowded public transportation, the pained expressions on my fellow commuters’ faces, the long lines at coffee shops: All of it was bad.

The worst part of waking up on the north side of noon, though is Morning Motherfucking Radio. I hate it. I don’t understand why most radio stations think that the morning is an ideal time to put on the DJs who talk the most. I don’t want to hear it. I can barely comprehend lyrics before eleven in the morning.

That’s why I’ve been listening to Rainydawg Radio. It’s not perfect—what radio station is?—but I like that the morning hosts sound as groggy and discombobulated as I do. I also like that I have no idea what the next song will be. The first thing that I heard this morning, during an instrumental show, was Lightning Bolt, playing “Two Towers:”

Good! Morning!

Now if only Rainydawg could get some space on the radio dial, as I can’t take my laptop into the shower. Hm. Where could the University of Washington find a frequency on the radio?

Tonight in Music—Happy Valentine’s Day Edition

posted by on February 14 at 10:11 AM

Tonight there will probably be lots of huggin’ and kissin’ and chocolate-eating (ew, that sounds dirty). There’s also…

pinbackduo.jpg

Pinback, MC Chris
(Showbox at the Market) A sucker for sweet melodies I be. And because I’m such a sucker, I frequently return to the flowery tunes of San Diego’s Pinback. There is in their music (contained in four LPs and two EPs) a sweetness that is simple and yet not cheap or vulgar. It’s a sweetness that seems so honest and so immediate to the most profound and complex states of mind. The melodies and choruses of “Tripoli,” “Penelope,” “Scent,” and “How We Breathe” are, like all sweet things, hopeful and encouraging. This, however, is not happy music; happy music is always stupid. It’s stupid because it obliterates all other conditions and moods. Sadness, joy, love, hate, longing, disappointment are never eclipsed by the glowing melodies of Pinback’s sweet music. CHARLES MUDEDE

mika.jpg

Mika, the Midway State
(Showbox Sodo) When Dan Savage slid his iPod across the table and said “Megan, listen to this,” I was shocked. Dan “I only like musicals/Who’s Modest Mouse?” Savage was going to engage me in a conversation about music? Current music? So I listened. It was Mika’s first single, “Grace Kelly.” A poppy disco beat was pumping behind Mika’s catchy falsetto, and after 20 seconds I had already had enough. I laughed. Of course that’s what Dan Savage would listen to—Mika’s a one-man musical. Without even seeing him, while his club-friendly dance track kept playing, I envisioned costume changes, feathered hair, and stage makeup while he sang empty choruses meant for the sheer purpose of temporarily entertaining and nothing more. “Do you like it?” he asked. “Not really, no,” I said, handing his iPod back to him. But then again, I prefer Modest Mouse to musicals. MEGAN SELING

And King Cobra is having their first live show. It’s “My Bloody Valentine” night with Sindios and metal covers by Iron Falcon.

And what else…

Club Pop at Chop Suey
Man Plus at the Comet
Book of Black Earth with Sonata Arctica at El Corazon
The Great Valentine’s Massacre with Partman Parthorse, Branden Daniel & Everybody Gets Laid, and A Gun that Shoots Knives at the High Dive…

And lastly, Dancing on the Valentine at Nectar. It’s a 1985-themed cover night with performances by Central Services, Cmon Cmon, the Cops, the Femurs, Hotels, Ms. Led, Peter Parker, and more!

Love is in the air.

Patti Smith Lights Up My Life

posted by on February 14 at 10:03 AM

This is one of the sweetest things I’ve ever seen.

Thank you, Slog tipper Stinkbug.

Weekly Reccommendation

posted by on February 14 at 9:53 AM

I decided that not only do I want to highlight all the great rare disco, italo, and funk on this blog, I want to highlight some of the newer releases that are coming out. In doing so, every week I will highlight one new release, that’s usually a week or two old, that I highly reccommend. This way I can help promote some of the newer disco singles, edits, and albums that producers, deejays, and artists are releasing. Most the time I won’t include a full MP3 clip, because my goal is for people to go out and purchase the actual record.

Secret Bob - Oyster La Vista Baby! 12”
—————————————————————————————————
For my first post, this week I’m recommending the new Lobster Disques’ 12-inch, entitled Oyster La Vista Baby!, which consists four very unique and solid re-edits from Secret Bob. For his fourth re-edit 12-inch, Secret Bob works his magic to Sweet Music’s version of “I Get Lifted”, Them’s popular rock classic “Gloria”, The Pasadenas rare classic “Tribute (right on)”, as well as even a edit of Judas Priest’s “Rocking After Midnight”, which is safe to say unique and very interesting. Secret Bob does a nice job of re-editing all of these tracks, which come from a wide spectrum of music genres, to work on a disco dancefloor and make sense. If your a fan of Tangoterje or Rune Lindbæk edits, this record is right up your alley.

Secret Bob - Straight on Straight on (Sample Clip)
Buy Record Here

Here Come the Police (And Elvis)

posted by on February 14 at 9:29 AM

THE POLICE WITH VERY SPECIAL GUEST ELVIS COSTELLO & THE IMPOSTERS

July 11 Ridgefield, WA Amphitheater at Clark County
July 12 George, WA The Gorge

Tickets for the Gorge show will be scaled at $236.25, $131.25 and $78.75 (plus applicable service fees) and will go on sale Saturday, February 23 at 10:00 a.m. at all Ticketmaster outlets, Ticketmaster.com or livenation.com or charge by phone (206) 628-0888, and in Eastern Washington at (509) 735-0500. There will be a 4 ticket limit per person in the amphitheatre pavilions and for the top price tiered tickets in the arenas. Visit www.thepolice.com and/or www.livenation.com for complete on-sale information in your city.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Press Release Excerpt of the Day

posted by on February 13 at 4:07 PM

Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds will be joined by His Holiness the Dalai Lama for an unprecedented evening of conversation, music and compassion at KeyArena in Seattle on April 11, 2008. The dialogue begins at 4:30 p.m.

Writing New Songs Is Hard, Apparently

posted by on February 13 at 3:58 PM

Dude, “Crank That” by Soulja Boy was a huge hit. People all over the country were doing the “Superman,” on YouTube. Soulja Boy made hella cash… we need to get in on that. Let’s write our own song called…uh… “Crank That!”

No man, that’s the name of the Soulja Boy song.

Oh shit, right. Well how about “Crank Dat?”

Yeah, yeah, that’s good. We should have a superhero too. How about Batman?

Perfect. We’re going to make a million damn dollars because people are fucking retarded.

Today’s Music News

posted by on February 13 at 2:34 PM

Sonic Youth Exhibit to travel the world- Thurston Moore? More like Thurston Porn!

Scarlett Johansson holds listening party for her new album- In the most reasonable, “makes-sense” move of all time, the album is all Tom Waits covers, and David Bowie is involved.

Art Brut release online EP- Pump Up The Volume!

Cher to play 200 shows in Vegas- Like Picasso, and the other great artists before her, Cher isn’t ready to put down the paintbrush just yet.

Lenny Kravitz STILL in hospital- As days turn to nights. The stress inside is building. Feel better Lenny. - A haiku about this awful ordeal.

It’s That Bad

posted by on February 13 at 1:46 PM

How bad is mainstream hiphop at this moment? It’s so bad that the super producer Rockwilder is giving it up for Christian music. Now that’s bad.
rock_web3.jpg

In an interview with Movement TV, the Grammy Award winning producer said he has become bored with the current state of Hip-Hop music and will be returning to his roots in the church.

“It’s a new movement going on. And it’s a situation whereas Hip-Hop has reached a level to where it’s boring. [I don’t] really wants to glorify the violent aspects of it,” he said. “Right now, I’m pretty much doing a 360-degree [change] and bringing it back to the essence when I was first raised on that and that Christian music.”

At least with Christian music there is an idea of what is good and what is bad or, better yet, who is the good and who is the bad.

Rock Lottery 04: Who’s in the Hat?

posted by on February 13 at 1:38 PM

rocklotto.jpg

Seattle’s fourth Rock Lottery was informally announced today, scheduled for April 6th April 13th (sorry, the date was changed mere hours after my post) at Neumo’s. The concept: 25 hometown musicians meet in the morning, split into 5 bands—drawn from a hat, mind you—and get 12 hours to write and rehearse new material (and one cover) for a concert that night. Proceeds go to an arts-minded non-profit—in this coming iteration’s case, Arts Corp—but it’s not just for a good cause. As I wrote last July, the show is “an experience a lot like losing your virginity—part terror, part awkwardness, and a strange desire for more, more, more.”

But repeat entrants are strictly forbidden, which means organizer Chris Weber is on the lookout for fresh meat to fill the hat. He’s asking locals-in-the-know to send tips for quality entrants, stressing variety and adding this caveat: “Some of my favorite moments from past events have come from musicians who are not technically proficient and also from people who had to be convinced that they should participate and would have never volunteered.”

So I figured I’d open up that suggestion process to the Lines—who would you suggest around town for this show that is open to experimentation and able to deal with the stress of RL’s 12-hour struggle? Any suggestions beyond the city’s usual suspects are especially helpful, from DJs to 8-bit tinkerers to MCs to classically trained violinists to the tattooed guys who read Underground Magazine. Check the RL page to see who’s played already (and therefore ineligible).

The Solution

posted by on February 13 at 1:27 PM

It might be a lack of sleep, my messy room, or a late case of seasonal depression setting in, but something’s been making it very difficult for me to wake up in the morning. As I barely made it out of bed this morning, I started to think about ways that waking up could be made easier. Inspired by Megan’s post yesterday about Atom & His Package, I started to think about how life would be so much better if Japanther played a show in my bedroom every morning. You know, just to lift my mood, and get the day started right! Wanna sleep in? Too bad! The band tears through three songs before you can even get out of your pajamas. I feel like this would not only make my life a lot more fun, but also much easier. So there’s your hypothetical: If you could have a band play in your room, acting as your alarm clock every morning, who would it be?

Confidential to John Richards

posted by on February 13 at 1:01 PM

Today’s Morning Faithful newsletter, in its entirety:

Hey,

Day 2 of the NYC announcement….which means that I’ve pretty much talked to every press person in Seattle and beyond. Crazy! The response has mostly been really positive, but its interesting overall how much the focus of what KEXP is doing steers towards what I am doing or who I am. It’s actually unfortunate when that happens since what KEXP is doing is so ground breaking[sic], true to its mission, and so centered on bringing great music to people. I get it though; personality is a bit more interesting. For the most part though, the people who really listen to the show and support the station “get” what KEXP has done, is doing, and will do in the future. It’s awesome and I wouldn’t change a thing. Thanks for the support Morning Faithful!

A few observations I’d like to share with you all that I really haven’t before because I’ve always shared pretty much everything with you and need to clear my head. The first is about being “known” or “fame” or whatever. I mean this in the least cocky way, but in my life I’ve gained more notoriety during the last few years and it has had a major impact on everything. I’m not totally at ease with the attention, but I’ve become more comfortable with all of it partially because of the good nature of most of the people who approach, call, or email me. But a few of the downfalls that come with being a public figure include having some people decide who you are, what you are about, and taking a lot of liberty with the facts. What you also don’t hear much about are the numerous stalkers and/or crazy people out there and the multiple times we’ve had to involve the police. We’ve even had to take legal action in a couple of situations. This was not enjoyable for me or my family…obviously. One time a person approached my son while he was walking around with my friend who was watching him. This person was scary, screaming my son’s name, and wearing a KEXP sticker on his forehead. This caused them to have to run into a nearby business to get away. Yes I know-WTF? I’m not sharing this so that people will feel sorry for me, but I think it helps people to know what kind of world you step into when you become this public figure.

I understand that this happens because I am myself on the air. I get that. I share my life. I share my world. I take a risk. I want people to know WHO is bringing them music. But no one signs up for that kind of attention. I’m sure you agree.
It’s also interesting to see people get down on me for other things. Luckily, most of what I hear is insanely great. I talk about my kid too much on the air, I play too much of this, too less[sic] of that…there are a million little things that I could add here. That being said, you have to program a show and not let those things get to you right? Some days this is easier said than done. All of our DJ’s[sic] face this and some may talk about it or not. You want to serve the public, yet some of the public doesn’t like what you’re serving. You have to remember to keep focused and know that you’re on the air for a reason. But think about why it would affect you. You do your job. You give it your best. Imagine 10 people comment to you that you did a great job, but one person tells you that you’re terrible and that you’ve done a terrible job. Which comment will you go home with in your head? It’s natural for some to be negative- I accept that, but people don’t realize that people in the public eye also have feelings. I do. I’m an emotional person. I’m working on it. In a perfect world, yes I would suck it up every time, but I’m only human. Again, 99% of the feedback is AWESOME.

I had a co-worker come by the other day and say that whenever anyone asks them if they know me, a lot of times they’ll also ask “he’s a dick right?” or say things like “he must be totally arrogant”. He responded that “No, actually he’s a good guy and one you could go have a beer with”. It’s true…and I love beer. I’m not saying that I don’t have my bad days. Anyone else who gets up totally early, (like at 3:45am) while raising a 3 year old knows first hand that your disposition isn’t always going to be the brightest. But for the most part I always aim to treat people with respect and kindness and if I really like them, they’ll also get a TON of sarcasm. Some people really don’t want for you to be a good person; they NEED for you to be a terrible person. I think that it might stem from the fact that I have one of the best jobs in the world or maybe it’s more that some people aren’t the happiest with their own life…or maybe just simply most assume that if a person is a public figure that they probably suck. I can’t blame them, it’s not like I don’t say “Who is that actor? He’s TERRIBLE, I hate that guy” or “Why on earth is this guy a newscaster? Look at his hair”. It’s as if they’re not really human. The difference is that I don’t take the time to communicate my opinion to them or write a blog about it. Technology allows us to say what we want, send what we want, and never really have to back it up with fact. I’m okay with the fact that it’s a way for people to vent. However, when it’s just not true or it’s directed at parts of my life that they know absolutely nothing about, that’s when I get frustrated. The benefit of the doubt will always go to the negative. How on earth could you assume the positive? That guy sucks!!!

What some people don’t know about me or what they choose to not want to know about me are a number of things. One is that I work hard. I always have. I work 12 hours a day pretty much no matter what. I’m not bragging or complaining. I like to work. I worked hard for KCMU without being paid at all and once I was paid, it wasn’t enough to live on. I’ve worked for the station for over 12 years now, most of which were spent on credit cards, loans, and a very patient wife. I like to multitask and try new things. If I don’t have many things going on at once, I go crazy. I have a record label that I’ve never made a dime on but I love it. It’s fun to work with bands and get music out there. I’ve even volunteered my time to help manage a band (The Blakes) through a time in their career when they needed help. I was criticized by some people for that. Yet the band did the right thing and signed to a great local label, went on to work with my friend who does manage them day to day and I never made a penny. It would have been okay if I had, according to all the rules I work under and agree to as set forth by the station. I’ve worked with a guy named Gary Gersh for years. At one point while being paid and at another point while not being paid as he was building his company. Why? Because Gary signed bands like Nirvana and Sonic Youth and I’ve learned more from him in 6 or 7 years than I have with most people I’ve spent a larger amount of time with. He is one of the few pure and true people in the music business and he serves as a great example to learn by.

Be a good person. No matter what.

Another thing some people don’t know about me or assume is that if I do have the best job in the world, surely it must have been handed to me or “I’m lucky”. It is true that I am lucky. I’m lucky that a place like KEXP exists and I’m very proud of the fact that it exists partly because of my hard work which started with the station back in about 1995 as a volunteer, then as a part time DJ, then as a full time DJ, then as an actual employee, and then onto a leadership role where I helped come up with ideas such as the non-profit benefit shows at High Dive, the 500 club, the Kid’s Dance Party and then ensuring that those ideas were actualized. I think that some people just assume that I showed up one day, was given the shift, and that I get to go home as soon as the show is done at 10am. This is not true. Ask my wife. I’m bad at a LOT of things. I can’t cook, I can’t do math, I really never could speak a foreign language. But what I can do really well is a radio show which I get to program, as well as raise money for the station where I do this radio show because I love it here so much AND I believe in its mission and need to exist. In return, the station has supported me, as have the members.

As for spending time in NYC, I can’t wait. Not just because it’ll be nice to experience that part of the world. Not just because we can make the show even better through our ties with one of the few other stations that exist like ours, but also because the people here at KEXP believe in this partnership with WNYE and believe in the good that this decision will bring for those here in Seattle as well as for KEXP listeners everywhere.

I love Seattle. It will always be my home. Unfortunately, Seattle does not offer the best opportunities in the fashion industry. My wife is in the fashion industry. She has lived here since she was born. When I met her 10 years ago, she was moving to NYC. She changed her plans to move to NYC 10 years ago FOR ME. Not for the radio DJ that everyone knows now, but for me, John Richards…with a bad haircut, bad credit, a job that didn’t actually pay money, but a total and complete belief in what I was and what I was doing.

Believe in good people. No matter what.

She now gets to go over there and live part of her dream that she has put on hold for a decade. We’re not tied to there forever. We’re not leaving our hometown for good. She finally gets to live her dream and I will see my family less for chunks of time in order for that to happen because my base is here. Does that freak me out? Yes and no. I don’t want to leave KEXP, but more than anything on Earth I also don’t want to hold back the woman I love. I am very lucky that many factors have come together around the same time in order for me to say to my wife, “Now its my turn to let you realize your dreams and ambitions”. All of this can happen because the station and YOU believe in me, my work and the station’s vision and values. Will this anger people, sure; Why should I get to live my dream? Why should Tiffany get to live hers? That’s one of [the] things wrong with the world. We should all get to live our dream. BUT I firmly believe if you work as hard as you can at something that you really love (this includes relationships), that you will indeed get your dream. OR you can choose to sit on the sidelines and bitch about anyone who actually does go for it and in a way that they can honestly look at themselves in the mirror each night and agree that they’ve done their best.

I just want to finish this with a few last words (and now I feel like Tom Cruise in “Jerry Maguire” writing his late night manifesto). The fact that a guy who moved to Seattle from Spokane in 1993 and didn’t have a dime, a job, or any connections at all could someday help build a station like this and then have a show that has had some serious impact on the world is beyond a dream come true. Completely beyond.

I have a wife who supports me who is amazing beyond words. Our son is the coolest, most beautiful being on earth. I shared with all of you my experiences of his birth. I also shared with you the loss of both of my parents after long battles with cancer, as well as the loss of my Father in law who passed away in his sleep a few years ago. The Morning Faithful helped me get through it. Me…A DJ…on a radio station. You’ve helped me and I hope that I help you every morning with music and by being honest and myself. We’ve been through it together and we will continue to be there for each other here, there, and everywhere. The Morning Show and the Faithful will remain the same. It may be a difficult concept for some to get. I get it. Many of you get it and its all the more reason why I may be the luckiest person on earth.

By now most of you have probably stopped reading this or maybe you didn’t need to hear any of this because you already know all of it or maybe you just like listening to the music and don’t really need a manifesto sent to you. Any which way, it’s a healthy exercise to write and get out what’s on your mind. I felt I might as well send it out the people I love.

I swear I’m not crazy. Well, mostly.

I’m going home now. See you tomorrow.

“Mega Man II” by Johan Agebjörn

posted by on February 13 at 12:33 PM

I was so fucking good at this game when I was a kid. I know it’s nothing new to incorporate Nintendo music into your own track, but this new Johan Agebjörn is still worth checking out if you’re a video game geek.

I especially like the 5:30 mark when it looks like Mega Man is running in place to the music.

Anyone have an 8-bit Nintendo I can borrow for the weekend? Mine’s busted.

The song is from the upcoming Spacer Woman From Mars, to be released on Loeb Feb 25th.

(ht to stereogum)

Offered Without Comment

posted by on February 13 at 12:10 PM

KingCobra-firstwarmupshow-1.jpg

Canadian Improv, Welsh Rock

posted by on February 13 at 12:00 PM

sfa_heyvenus.jpgSuper Fugly Album Cover

Super Furry Animals, Holy Fuck @ Neumo’s

First off: I was mostly going for Holy Fuck last night at Neumo’s (anytime you get four dudes with fucking with table-tops of live electronics, I’m there). The few songs of theirs that I’ve heard are pretty good, and they promised to be epic monsters live. Sadly, I lost track of time screwing around on Ableton at my apartment, and by the time I made it into the show, Holy Fuck were halfway through their last song, the crystal glissando rave up “Lovely Allen.” It did sound pretty epic—knob twists turning into wet, resonant echoes, live bass and drums chugging and stomping in time, those great strings apparently being summoned from some little box. So, I’m bummed that I missed them, but I’m told they’ll certainly come back, as everyone was raving about them, and there’s always the hope that I’ll catch them at Rachel Ray’s Triscuit Party at SXSW.

In between sets, John Atkins (of the Can’t See, etc) enthused about Super Furry Animals, encouraging me to stick around. He talked about how there was something subtly subversive to the band’s interdisciplinary pop rock, something acid-fried about them that kept them from ever being much more than a weird little brother to the big brit pop bands of the ’90s. He said the last time he saw them, at the EMP, they played in surround sound and turned the Sky Church’s usually lame LCD Screensaver into their own synchronized, psychedelic visual screen. He told me the first SFA album I should listen to is Guerilla. A guy walked by dribbling ice out of his drink and with toilet paper stuck to his shoe. (Side note: there was a big, international crowd—lots of people in line using passports as IDs.)

The band took the stage to the sound of echoing bird chirps and dog barks, the lead singer wearing an oversized red power-rangers-style helmet (when he took off his helmet, he looked—from a distance—a little like former Stranger music editor Dave Segal; up close, not so much). They started with (I think) “Slow Life,” then “Rings Around the World,” and then I had to go give a friend my extra ticket. When we got back in, we talked for a minute on the main floor, and then decided to grab a seat upstairs, where we spent the rest of the show listening to the slightly muffled music and scheming about SXSW. I think I first heard of Super Furry Animals in my late teens, in the late ’90s, and at the time, they were a few albums into their career, probably only playing 21+ shows in Seattle, I had plenty of bands to worry about, and I just never found the right moment to dive into a subtly subversive, psychedelic Welsh rock band. I guess I still haven’t.

Tonight in Music (and Movies About Music)

posted by on February 13 at 11:47 AM

The TAD documentary, Busted Circuits and Ringing Ears plays tonight at the Varsity at 7 pm.

The trailer:

I watched the movie before interviewing Tad last week—it is a really touching and funny documentary. Some of the footage overlaps a little bit of what was covered in Hype (since it focuses on the band’s heyday during the big “grunge” days), but tere’s also tons of footage from tours and shows, as Tad had a video camera with him for most of the band’s career.

(And if you missed the interview with Tad, the band’s frontman, click here to read it.)

Also tonight:

The Curious Mystery play the Sunset
The Gourds and Baby Gramps play the Tractor
And (as Nipper already told you) Blue Cheer is at El Corazon

Super Wednesday - Are You a Hipster?

posted by on February 13 at 11:32 AM

Yesterday, it was suggested - that it is hipster to like Can or
Shuggie Otis

Are you a hipster if you like the music of Can or Shuggie Otis?

Are you a hipster?

Which do you like more?

Which do you prefer?

And lastly:

Shim at the Tractor Tavern

posted by on February 13 at 11:30 AM

shimlights.jpg

By Flickr Pooler soundonthesound.

Do you have some awesome live music shots? Do you have some hilarious nightlife shots? Add ‘em to the Stranger’s Flickr Pool. It’s fun to embarrass your friends.

Sonic Boom Records in Fremont is Closing

posted by on February 13 at 11:20 AM

The store’s last day is Monday, February 18th.

Kanye West- “Flashing Lights”

posted by on February 13 at 11:10 AM

(not featuring Vince Gill or Usher)

also: GODDAMN!

Blue Cheese

posted by on February 13 at 10:41 AM

WOW. So sad, SO bad.

I heard that new Blue Cheese…yeah yeah yeah… Blue CHEER record. Yuck. It’s bad metal…it’s embarrassing, it’s so bad. Like, it’s dumb, but not like dumb as dumb rock can be brilliant. However, Dickie DOES still have his voice, and there is the occasional hint of BC’s former glory…but it’s all metal, not heavy, but metal. Still tho’, if I HAFTA find a bright spot in terms of “cool they’re still doing IT”…it’s not worse than that Stooges reunion record.

So if you go tonight to see this

BLUECHEER7.jpg

do NOT expect this

Blue%2BCheer.jpg

Now then, to clean the palette of the “awful” stink of the new Blue Cheese here is a bit of le Pink Floyd from France, no Syd, but Syd era…David Gilmour sings.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Cam’ron Takes on Jay-Z

posted by on February 12 at 4:22 PM

This is a must-watch:
[now after the jump since this vid is freezing Firefox]

Continue reading "Cam'ron Takes on Jay-Z" »

Find Yourself a Friend

posted by on February 12 at 4:16 PM

You can probably spend a few hours discussing Sylvester’s influence and contributions to both disco and italo. In his early year’s his more soul and funk driven records like his 1977 self-titled LP Sylvester, 1978’s Step II and 1979’s Stars helped him become a household name in the club scene, while his later work with legendary italo producer Patrick Cowley and San Francisco’s Megatone Records during the early 1980’s helped him re-establish himself and his sound as many other disco artists of his era fell off. Most Sylvester fans that I talk to, enjoy both his early more “traditional soulful” disco sound, as well as his later, more high energy italo sounding productions. I would have to say that even though there are many later cuts, like 1982’s “Do Ya Wanna Funk” and “Don’t Stop” that I really enjoy, I would probably say that I’m a bigger fan of his early productions like 1977’s “Dance (Disco Heat)”, 1978’s “You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)”, and 1980’s “I Need You”. However, my favorite cut from his early records has to be the 1977 classic “Over & Over”. This single was originally released off of his self-titled LP and includes an energetic live audience over dub that really gives the track a feel like you’ve been transformed back into 1977, partying and dancing with people inside a intimate disco nightclub. Everytime I listen to the track, it feels like I get an audio insider to a glimpse of what the NY disco clubs like, Paradise Garage and The Gallery were like back in the day. Regardless, this classic production is just another highlight to Sylvester’s amazing musical career.

Sylvester - Over & Over

King Cobra

posted by on February 12 at 2:39 PM

kingcobrapink.jpg

By Flickr Pooler &y.

Today’s Music News

posted by on February 12 at 2:29 PM

The Game to go to jail for 60 days- Guns on the basketball court? Someone better tell him it’s just a game!

Stone Temple Pilots back together, announce massive tour- They’re touring with Kid Rock?
And Papa Roach? AND STAIND!? I’d say it’s safe to name 2008: The Year of Rock’s Revival.

Conan has music critics on show to discuss Sunday’s Grammy’s
- Hasn’t the writers strike gone on a little bit too long now? We get the point! Bring back T.V.!

Lenny Kravitz hospitalized- The music community hangs in peril, as rock legend is sick in bed.

I Wish I Had Listened to ________ Sooner

posted by on February 12 at 2:22 PM

For me, it’s Atom & His Package.

atompacklive.jpg

I should’ve loved Atom & His Package way before I actually started listening to them (within the past year, I’m so ashamed). When I was in high school and listening to the usual suspects (Op Ivy, Rancid, Jawbreaker, Green Day, etc.), I heard Atom & His Package’s name mentioned now and again, but I never listened to them. I don’t know why. We all make mistakes. But when he finally made it on a mix tape, I instantly loved it. His lyrics are hilarious and smart, the music’s fun without being cheesy. You can listen to it and dance like an idiot without worrying about looking stupid because when dancing to songs like “If You Own the Washington Redskins, You’re a Cock,” you’re supposed to look stupid.

But it was too late to say that I loved them—in 2006 could never say I was 26 and just getting into Atom & His Package (who broke up in 2003). I’d be crucified! So I had to love them in secret.

All the time, music geeks try to pass off that they knew about everything cool before it was actually cool. For me, that’s not true. I try to search out new music all the time (and I think I do an okay job), but sometimes things slip through the cracks. Atom & His Package slipped through the cracks; 1998 would’ve been so much better if I had Atom & His Package.

As the cliche goes: Better late than never, I guess. Right? At least I know about his new band Armalite (with Dan Yemin, yo).

But my point is, I’m not the only one hiding secrets about certain bands I discovered way too late in life. Tell me yours. I promise not to laugh.

(And you probably already know how great this is, but if you don’t, get your hands on Atom & His Package’s cover of Madonna’s “Open Your Heart.” My favorite line is “Fuck face, I have something to say!”)

Impossible Thrill

posted by on February 12 at 2:05 PM

I’m happy to find Alpha’s Myspace site
l_85442e712c9c2fcbb6a6c7c42fdcd0da.jpg
…sad to learn that Andy Jenks is no longer a member of the most undervalued Bristol band in the history of the universe. If you have no idea of the what and how of Alpha, check the band’s first three albums: Come From Heaven (1997), The Impossible Thrill (2000), and Stargazing (2003). The first is built on samples; the second is built on live sounds, the third is a synthesis of first two approaches. The end result is a cinema of longing and post-Fordist exhaustion.

Just cause.

posted by on February 12 at 1:27 PM

For 12 n 6 you can.

when the king of punk wore a cape…and white mocs!

In Defense of Idiot Pilot and Phil Collins

posted by on February 12 at 1:07 PM

I know, I can’t believe I’m defending them either. But in January Eric asked me if there was anything I wish I would have said or revised from 2007 and my answer was actually Idiot Pilot. I wished I would have said something nice about how their new album was significantly better than their old one (though still not great). I thought Wolves came out months ago. Turns out it was released today.

Anyone remember when Pitchfork called Idiot Pilot “the musical equivalent of a monkey with a hand grenade?” That was somewhat fitting for their debut album Strange We Should Meet Here, an abrasive, unfortunate amalgamation of Radiohead and the Blood Brothers full of glitchy beats and inappropriate screaming. Though it catapulted the band into Major Label buzz and world tours its praise was mostly given by people too young to buy beer.

I was legitimately surprised by their follow up Wolves. Comparing both releases, their growth as songwriters is obvious: Strange is high school and Wolves is college. Much of the inappropriate screaming has been removed; in fact most of the Blood Brothers vibe has been wiped clean. Michael Harris will draw Thom Yorke comparisons until the end of his career, which isn’t particularly a bad thing since its obvious that’s just the way his voice sounds - he’s not stealing any of Yorke’s stylings. It’s also much more effective when it’s not contrasted with screamo. Instead, bandmate Daniel Anderson has focused his attention on writing huge arena rock anthems deriving from an obvious love of classic U2. The result is an interesting one – grown up music targeted at children. While it’s nowhere near a complete success it is vastly superior to their debut album, which if anything is a strong step in the right direction for the band. At least it’s less likely to get them booed off the stage at Neumos again. I give it 2 and ¾ stars.

As far as Phil Collins goes, I can’t (and won’t) try to defend his music. Or his actions. But there is an excellent episode of This American Life where he is consulted on heartbreak and breakups and he actually comes across as a nice, likable guy. It definitely raised my opinion of the man. It also reminded me how much I like the Bonnie Raitt song “I Can’t Make You Love Me.”

If You’re in a Band READ THIS

posted by on February 12 at 12:15 PM

Also: DJs, solo musicians, or anyone else in this city that creates music and wants to get shows and/or attention for doing so, you’re eligible too!

Our annual Musician’s Directory is coming up—fast. If you’re a musician, you need to be in this guide—it’ll be out in the beginning of March and it’s a Rolodex of every single local band. Bookers, promoters, and other bands can use it to get in touch with you. It’ll run online and in the paper and if you’re not listed, you don’t exist.

For complete instructions, go to http://www.thestranger.com/bandform. It’s completely free and easy.

You can also upload songs and photos to your page—and all bands who have a band’s page are eligible to get played on Setlist. Sweet action, right? I know!

So do it.

(Update: If you have specific questions about it, you can e-mail bandspage@thestranger.com. You can also leave a comment, I will be checking in to answer anything I can.)

Glow in the Dark

posted by on February 12 at 12:12 PM

kanye-glow-tour-flyer.jpg

Kanye West
with Lupe Fiasco
Rhianna
N*E*R*D*

04-16 Seattle, WA - Key Arena

Presale is Thursday.

J-Justice wants to know:

Anyone know the password?

Re: Merch Item of the Week

posted by on February 12 at 12:10 PM

I’m sorry to keep going with this Pink Spiders shit, but I just have to tell this story.

So the reason we went to see this show is because my companion had once opened for the Pink Spiders on tour and he wanted to say hi to them (they disappeared after their set so we didn’t see them). He also told me this tour story:

So we were hanging out backstage with them, you know, and the bassist [Jon Decious, the Whitney/Ocasek lovechild] comes over to me and says, “Hey dude, just a bit of advice. Don’t use the Pink Spiders’ condoms. When we were on Warped Tour, a couple of them broke on our drummer.”

I couldn’t find any pictures of the low-quality condoms and I didn’t see any last night. They’ve probably been replaced with these:
TPSUNDIES100-ZOOM.jpg

Undies are a better souvenir of the show than a baby!

You Know What’s Not Crappy? Helms Alee, Motherfuckers!

posted by on February 12 at 12:06 PM

Q: Anyone listen to any good music lately?

A: I have, I have!

Helm’s Alee, my friends. They’re my new favorite thing. I wrote about their new vinyl EP in Underage a couple week’s ago:

helmsaleelive.jpg

Pressed on snow-white 12-inch vinyl, the new Helms Alee record is a four-song, one-sided EP. Side B is etched with a line drawing done by Faith Coloccia. The record’s sleeve is both printed and silk-screened, with black-and-white photography and dark-gray and white ink, respectively. You have to examine it to catch all the little details, like which parts are printed and which are painted—it’s pretty amazing.

Helms Alee are more than just pretty packaging—the band comprises just two girls and one guy, but they make more noise than most bands twice their size. The guy is Ben Verellen (he used to be in These Arms Are Snakes and Harkonen), one of the girls is Hozoji Roseanne Matheson-Margullis of Lozen, and the songs were recorded and mixed by Matt Bayles. With that kind of personnel, it’s no surprise that the music sounds amazing. The drumming takes cues from hardcore, the guitars swirl in and out of haunting breakdowns, and the songwriting is strong and compelling, a little reminiscent of the Pixies (I wonder if that’s just the male/female vocals talking, though).

The first time I heard “A Weirding Way” I just sat there. “Fuuuuuuuck” I thought. “Where do I start? What do I say about this?” I was speechless. I didn’t want to write about. I didn’t want to dissect it. I just wanted to listen to it over and over again. The drumming, the guitars… the chorus of vocals…. and then it all explodes! Boom!

And “Borrowed Wind” with the echoing urgent vocals straining themselves over the airtight, blistering drumming? Forgedaboudit. I restart the song before it’s over just so it doesn’t stop. It loops and loops over and over again in my head—I turn it up a little louder each time.

Click on over to their MySpace page to get an earful of greatness. I just can’t get enough. And they’re playing February 22 at El Corazon with These Arms Are Snakes, if you like what you hear. I am so stoked for that show.

Merch Item of the Week

posted by on February 12 at 11:45 AM

The “Hooray for Baby Dee” bird call — available only at shows.

Photobucket

She also has a limited edition CD of bird sounds, The Robin’s Song, recorded in her mother’s backyard in Cleveland, OH back in 2001. If you missed her swell show at the Triple Door last night — featuring a jolly racewalking bit (“they always look so angry,” she said, huffing across the stage) — dispatch a friend or three to see her at Doug Fir Lounge in PDX tonight, and tell ‘em to stop by the merch table for you. Dee has family in Portland, so she should be well-fed and rested and sound even better tonight, lucky Rose City denizens.

Crappy Music Day on Line Out?

posted by on February 12 at 11:36 AM

British Sea Power

Idiot Pilot

Billy Ray Cyrus

Phil Collins

Pink Spiders/The Horrorpops

So, anybody listen to any good music lately?

The Horror

posted by on February 12 at 11:09 AM

Thoughts from last night’s Horrorpops (Danish Psychobilly)/Pink Spiders (Nashville-based Weezer influenced Hot Topic Pop Punk) show:

Pink Spiders have a hot pink leopard-print drumset that looks like a little girl’s toy.

• The bass player, Jon Decious, is a perfect lovechild of Johnny Whitney and Ric Ocasek. Coincidentally (or not) Ric Ocasek produced their record Teenage Graffiti.

pinkspiders2.jpg
That’s the lovechild in the middle.

• The Pink Spiders got really mad at the crowd, who wasn’t really into them. At one point, they said, “Do you guys even have a pulse?”

• They also asked if either the Lashes or the Boss Martians were in the audience. They weren’t.

• They had a chubby band member who isn’t in any of their band pics. Hired gun?

• At one point during their very long set, I realized I’d been thinking about other things for the previous ten minutes or so, including ice cream and possible reasons why there were so many mohawk/stud punks at the show. (I eventually concluded that they just don’t have anywhere else to go.)

The Horrorpops have backup dancers that rarely sing backup vocals. They were dressed as dead brides. Their dances were repetitive.
DSCN0980.JPG
Sorry about the crappy pic.

• The Horrorpops also have a stand-up bass that appears to be covered in pinup girl tattoos and whatnot. When the loaders put this bass on stage before the band came on, the crowd cheered.

• The singer and stand-up bass player, Patricia Day, said this: “Wow, I can’t believe this. Four hours ago, we were stranded at a mechanic’s, trying to get our van fixed. Now we’re here, playing the show! Classic Horrorpops!” (My companion noted that their van problem was probably easily solved by their thousands of dollars.)

• When the band started playing, I noticed a very loud clicking sound. It sounded like a loud click-track, like when you are learning to play drums. At first, I thought it was the backup dancers, with those little clamshell instruments. Then, I thought it was them wearing tap shoes. But it turned out to just be the stand-up bass. The clicking made me physically nauseous.

• The Pink Spiders have the largest merch-booth banner of all time. None of the other bands had merch booth banners.

DSCN0985.JPG

Tonight in Music

posted by on February 12 at 11:07 AM

holyfuckgroup.jpg

Super Furry Animals, Holy Fuck at Neumo’s
Tonight’s main draw may be Welsh beach boys Super Furry Animals, who have been frying retinas and massaging lobes with their bright, cartoon psych rock and electronic excursions for nearly 15 years. But do not miss expletive- enhanced improvisers Holy Fuck, who summon unpredictable dance grooves, throbbing synthetic pulses, and steady rock rhythms from a mess of arcane machinery, aided by live drums and bass. (Neumo’s, 925 E Pike St, 709-9467. 8 pm, $15, 21+.) Eric Grandy

wyclef_jean.jpg

Wyclef Jean
(Showbox at the Market) Why is Wyclef such a big disappointment? He seems smart enough. He seems open to new ideas and experimentation. He seems to have a global perspective rather than one restricted to the streets, the hood, the life of a gangsta. He is a man of the world, but somehow this worldliness has not translated into new or good music. Why? Here is my theory: I think the global program that has defined Wyclef’s solo career, which he began after unofficially parting with the Fugees back in the late ’90s, arrived too late on the scene. His eclectic work would have been more interesting if it were released around the time Sting dropped The Dream of the Blue Turtles, a time when eclecticism was new and strange, when Paul Simon, Malcolm McLaren, and Peter Gabriel were at the cutting edge. But by the end of the ’90s, and during this decade, the approach was as cold as a corpse. Wyclef arrived at the end of a very long and loud party. CHARLES MUDEDE
UW CONTEMPORARY GROUP
The Contemporary Group consistently offers an improbable mix of avant classical hits and rarities. Here, UW students and top-notch grads perform the Sonata for Flute, Viola, and Harp by Claude Debussy; William Albright’s “Take That” for 16 drums; and excerpts from Messiaen’s Vingt Regards sur l’Enfant Jésus. Fans of French Spectralist composer Gérard Grisey won’t want to miss Vortex Temporum I and II. Meany Theater, UW Campus, 685-8384, 7:30 pm, $10. CHRISTOPHER DELAURENTI

Phil Collins is an Asshat

posted by on February 12 at 10:42 AM

asshat.jpgIn a previous post, I aimed disparaging words toward the band Genesis and how much money they made on their 2007 tour. Commenter, ‘Tiktok’ did not agree with me and said:

Regardless of one’s personal opinion of the music of Genesis, to ignore their decades of albums, big big eighties hits and the fact that they hadn’t toured in any form for quite some time and have strong Boomer appeal suggests that the crack being smoked is on the other side of the keyboard in this case.

I respond to Tiktok now:

Tiktok, Genesis are a sham, a slap in the face to the world of music, and the world at large. People paying whatever the ridiculous ticket costs were for their 2007 concerts, and the $11 glasses of white wine once inside, and the $35 t-shirt, well, they might as well cut open the hull of an oil tanker or elect Bush for a 3rd term. Phil Collins needs to stop. He’s done enough damage. He needs to stop polluting the world with cartoon Tarzan soundtracks and blitzkriegingly boring schlopp.

Speaking of the 80’s, what a travesty it was when Phil Collins tried to play with Led Zeppelin at Live Aid. It was so bad, Zeppelin refused to allow the footage to be included on the Live Aid DVD.

You see, Phil refused to rehearse for Zeppelin’s Live Aid set. He refused to rehearse with the greatest band of all time for arguably one of the largest concerts of all time. Then he fucks it up big time and blames the other drummer that played. In Line Out language, I believe that is called being an ‘asshat’ or a ‘douchebag’. About his Live Aid appearance, Phil said:

They wanted me there early to rehearse the old Zeppelin songs, but I couldn’t make it and I told them, “Listen, I know the songs. I know them backward and forward.” Well, that day the tempos were all over the place, and it may have seemed like it was my fault, because I was the one who hadn’t rehearsed, but I would pledge to my dying day that it wasn’t me. In fact, it was Tony Thompson who was racing a bit; he was a bit nervous, I guess. It came off because of the magic of being Zeppelin; but I remember in the middle of the thing, I actually thought, How do I get out of here?

So he wanted out of there. But here’s Phil in a backstage interview with Zep after the Live Aid set saying he’s the one who asked Plant if he could play with them in the first place.

Here’s footage of the set. Look the 7:50 mark. Yeah, Phil you didn’t need to rehearse, it’s the other guy’s fault, right. That’s a “Whole Lotta You Can’t Hang”:

Yes, Jimmy Page is drunk. But he’s Jimmy Page. He can do whatever the hell he wants. Phil Collins is not Jimmy Page, Phil Collins wrote “Invisible Touch”.

Talk about boomers and demographics all you want, but I stand by my original assertion: Everyone that went to those Genesis concerts in 2007 was on crack.

Tell me Tiktok, did you go? What did you pay for the tickets? How was the show?

Or if anyone is out there that went to one of these concerts, please, show the me the light. Tell me how the big big eighties hits were and that you were not on crack when you paid $14 for a 3 oz. glass of Riesling and then heard Phil sing, “She has a built in ability, to take everything she sees / And now it seems I’m falling, falling for her.”

Hannah Montana’s Dad

posted by on February 12 at 10:40 AM

(labeled as “Last Night” only because the “Last Morning” tab doesn’t exist)

Some people call the random in-office concerts at my current office a perk. I do not. I sit only a few desks away from this company’s music department, and that means whenever a record label sends a scrub band to our building to play in a conference room—assumedly to build goodwill or publicity for said scrub band—I can hear the shit bleed through the walls.

Badass bands don’t do this. When good bands get up and out before noon to play a concert, it’s for a radio station, not for a gaggle of cube monkeys, not where marketing teleconferences were taking place just an hour before your arrival. To be fair, I imagine a few good artists have come through for such a show—just not in my short tenure, and yesterday’s arrival of Billy Ray Cyrus wasn’t one of them.

Turns out he’s BACK!! Something about a blonde daughter on TV and a duet with her that has put the country singer back on the charts. When an all-departments e-mail hit the wire to announce his appearance (right, sound the alarms), someone in a nearby desk said, “Is that the guy with the daughter on that TV show?” My immediate thought was to stand up and yell, “Who cares about Hannah Montana? That cockwipe wrote ‘Achy Breaky Heart’!” But then I was frightened that I had any impulse to defend Billy Ray Cyrus.

Or any desire to actually see him—I can’t say I ever had a pop-country phase, other than putting up with my dad’s inexplicable Garth Brooks fascination in the ’80s, and I certainly didn’t expect the guy, now on Walt Disney Records, to reveal a career renaissance in room 1429. So to balance curiosity with common sense, I told myself I wouldn’t watch if it required walking more than ten paces. As luck would have it, his show was scheduled at the halfway point between my desk and the bathroom. And there were free cold cuts. Ah, hell. Let’s roll, cowboy.

I figured I was in trouble when I walked in and saw this chest-posé:

Achy Breaky Chest

But the Billy Ray who showed up, in spite of the blonde streaks, was humble, fully clothed, and charming enough—until he started in on the whole “I make music that’s real” kick, which might’ve been easier to keep down if he didn’t follow it with a beating of a song called “I Want My Mullet Back” (inspired, he says, by Johnny fucking Damon). This show was a songwriter-storyteller deal, and he was visibly nervous, fingers shaking and all; I guess flourescent lights in the a.m. can hamper even the oldest performers. Still, Cyrus turned his folksy appeal up full blast—told stories about the guy who wrote “Achy Breaky Heart,” told stories about “beating on doors every Monday morning in Nashville,” and most memorably, he recounted how his acting career was thanks to David Lynch. After auditioning for Mulholland Drive as a lark, and eventually landing a role, Lynch encouraged him to go for acting as a full-time gig. “Just do what you’re doing—be real.” Way to ride that Lynch wave all the way to the mega-religious PAX network.

He was many times more likable than I’d ever expected, but then he played that stupid-ass mullet song, and I took the opportunity to sneak out of the room. Shame—just minutes later, while he was holding a Q&A session, I got a text from a Texas buddy asking me to send this message along: “you should tell him ‘it could’ve been me’ was my my favorite song for a month in 6th grade but then i got pubes

In Stores Today: Idiot Pilot, Wolves

posted by on February 12 at 10:00 AM

idiotpilotwolvescover.jpg

IDIOT PILOT
Wolves
(Reprise)

Idiot Pilot has only one trick: Nearly every song on Wolves starts with dreamy, fluid melodies, then climaxes with bursts of starry, distorted guitar and laptop flourishes. Singer Michael Harris’s Bends-era Thom Yorke croon is offset by Daniel Anderson’s guitar thrashing and occasional screams—then it repeats.

It’s not a bad trick, but it’s the same one the Bellingham band’s been pushing since their 2004 Click Pop debut, . That album was impressive enough an effort that within months, the duo were swept up and signed to major label Reprise, who re-released the full-length and started marketing the band to fans of the Used and 30 Seconds to Mars.

That was in the summer of 2006, though. For whatever reason, Wolves’ release date kept getting pushed back, causing the band to lose any momentum they gained—Wolves would have to be a hell of an effort to catapult the band back to where they once were (a promising buzz-band grabbing the attention of a number of ears in the music industry).

For follow-up, Idiot Pilot recorded with iconic producer Ross Robinson (the Cure, Blood Brothers, At the Drive-In) and Blink 182’s Mark Hoppus. Blink bandmate Travis Barker even stopped by to beef up Idiot Pilot’s drum machines with some live drum tracks, as did Coheed and Cambria’s Chris Pennie (who’s also played with Dillinger Escape Plan).

The production is spotless—Robinson makes Idiot Pilot’s layers of ethereal noise huge without sounding muddy or too heavy—but the songs are exhausting, the same mellow river swelling and breaking into tumultuous noise over and over again. Only the symphonic seven-minute closer “Recurring Dream” (with gorgeous strings) doesn’t follow the band’s well-established formula.

But in the plus column, aside from having Robinson’s talent on their side, their formulaic approach is still confident and dramatic. Sure, it’s shallow drama, but that’s all it takes to capture the attention of their new demographic which is heavily eye-lined kids looking for something that both screams and shines.

Also out today:
Widespread Panic Free Somehow
Kylie Minogue X
Dengue Fever Venus on Earth
British Sea Power Do You Like Rock Music?

U.2

posted by on February 12 at 9:34 AM

From today’s Pitchfork reviews:

British Sea Power

Do You Like Rock Music?

[Rough Trade; 2008]

Rating: U.2

Ouch. But is that lower than a 0.0?

Monday, February 11, 2008

Today’s Music News

posted by on February 11 at 4:55 PM

The Game Gets Two Months: After pleading no contest to a felony charge, the Game gets 60 days in jail and three years probation.

Grammys Win: The 50th anniversary of the awards had low ratings, but they still did better than everything else on TV last night.

Officially Divorced: Travis Barker.

Will He Ever Be Officially Divorced?: Paul McCartney goes back to court. Again. (Is that why he wasn’t at the Grammy’s last night?)

About a Son: Barsuk will digitally release the score to About a Son to coincide with the release of the DVD on Feb 19th.

Speaking of Kurt Cobain: Daughter Francis Bean is interviewed by Harpers Bazaar.

Horseman of Pop Doom: Hardly Art signs Boston’s Pretty & Nice.

Greatest Hits: The Best of Radiohead coming to a store near you.

Alkaline Trio: Working on album number six.

So Much Classier Than Drug Whore Chic

posted by on February 11 at 4:06 PM

You think that if they were throwing out nods to Joni Mitchell they might have also chosen to appreciate a modern artist who shares her modest sensibilities. Nope, Feist lost all her categories to Winehouse. Even the presenter of one of Winehouse’s awards was pissed they were condoning her tabloid lifestyle. When it boils down to it the Grammy award is not about how many drugs you do or the resulting press but about the music you make. That in mind, Feist still should have won. So much classier.

NOFX is Coming to Seattle

posted by on February 11 at 4:03 PM

And I don’t care if you guys think I’m a fucking asshat still living in 1996 for being excited about it.

I’ve never seen this band live. When I was into them as a kid, I was too young to go to concerts. After that, I had briefly outgrown them and didn’t care. Last year, though, I started listening to them again, and all love was rejuvenated (for old material, anyway).

NOFX play the Showbox SODO Saturday May 10. Tickets are $20 adv and go on sale this Saturday at 10 am.

About Local (Seattle) Music, John Said:

posted by on February 11 at 3:31 PM

Earlier, I asked DJ John Richards if the new KEXP partnership with Radio New York would mean less coverage of Seattle music.

He said:

KEXP plays more local music than anyone in town ever has or ever will.

The Morning Show absolutely will not turn its back on Seattle bands just because it’s on the air in New York. In fact, the Morning Show in New York will be a huge benefit to Seattle bands because they will be able to reach many more listeners.

The second anyone hears less from the Seattle music scene is the second I quit doing a radio show. Why on earth would KEXP stop doing supporting local music? That’s what it’s been doing successfully for 30 years?

Did You Know…

posted by on February 11 at 3:20 PM

That Nina Simone covered Hall & Oates’ “Rich Girl?”
nina.simone.jpg
It just came up on my shuffle and blew my mind.

Here’s a clip:

Again, Ms. Simone proves herself to be the world’s greatest badass.

Two More (Conditional) Deaths

posted by on February 11 at 3:10 PM

Resonance Magazine is dead (at least as a print publication).
From editor Andrew Monko:

For now, Resonance as a media vehicle is on hiatus, and continuing a printed version at a future date appears unlikely. A more viable return route may be to phoenix online with a site devoted to the same vision (and with a massively diminished carbon footprint). We shall see.
via FLOG (thanks Matt!)

Krakt is dead come April (at least as a monthly).
From promoter Kristina Childs:

April will be the last Krakt as a club night. It’s been a great run, and i thank everyone who’s supported over the years, and hope those faces i haven’t seen in a while will come back for the final two parties.

so here’s the plan:
March - Kris Moon’s Farewell Seattle Party: Derek Plaslaiko (Spectral / NYC), Kris Moon (live pa), Kristina Childs
April - Last Krakt - line-up TBD

Krakt is not dying, i’m just burned out and need a break. there will be krakt parties in the future, but it’ll be anywhere from 1-4 parties per year. we’ll see.

Dolly’s Boobs Cancel Tour

posted by on February 11 at 2:59 PM

dollyboobs.jpg

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Dolly Parton’s breasts may be two of the wonders of the entertainment world, but the country music icon says they are a pain in her back.

Parton, 62, said on Monday she would postpone her upcoming North American tour after doctors told her to take it easy for six to eight weeks to rest her sore back.

“Hey, you try wagging these puppies around a while and see if you don’t have back problems,” the folksy singer-songwriter said in a statement.

The tour was due to begin on February 28 in Minneapolis, two days after the release of “Backwoods Barbie,” her first album of mainstream country music in 17 years. She hopes to hit the road in late April.

Read the full story here.

Rice, Beans, and Disco

posted by on February 11 at 2:54 PM

The disco group, Rice And Beans Orchestra, whiched grabbed my attention based on the interesting name alone, was one of the earliest disco collectives of studio-based musicians, a project put together by Puerto Rican born producer/songwriter Pepe Luis Soto. This latin influenced disco project released three solid LP’s and a number of great 12-inch singles during the late 1970’s off of Henry Stone’s legendary disco label T.K. Disco. Album’s like 1977’s self-titled LP, Rice & Beans Orchestra as well as 1978’s Cross Over LP including disco club hit’s like “You’ve got magic”, “Coconut groove”, “Disco Dancing”, and “Rice & Beans Theme”, all blending together the group’s latin music roots with their newly found love for disco. After the break-up of the Rice And Beans Orchestra, founder Soto, went onto help produce and write music for his, at the time, wife, Celi Bee, who as many know, released many great hit’s during the disco era. Overall, Pepe Luis Soto’s Rice And Beans Orchestra, not only had an amazing name, however provided us with a nice collection of disco music.

Rice And Beans Orchestra - Rice & Beans Theme

10 Crushed to Death at Indonesian Metal Concert

posted by on February 11 at 1:13 PM

Via allheadlinenews.com:

Jakarta, Indonesia (AHN) - Ten people were crushed to death and at least six others were wounded when hundreds of fans of a famous Indonesian rock band caused a stampede at a jam packed concert Saturday in Bandung, capital of West Java in Indonesia, police said Sunday.

According to witnesses, hundreds of teenage fans of the heavy metal band group “Besides” attended the concert at a building in Bandung with a capacity for only 700 people. Hundreds of fans were trying to get out of the crowded building while hundreds more were surging to get in causing people to be trampled or crushed to death.

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

posted by on February 11 at 1:08 PM

obamachanges.jpg

Submitted to the Flickr Pool by whatsthatbug?.

The Coldest Echo

posted by on February 11 at 12:46 PM

In 2007, I basically only listened to two albums. One, Untrue, and two, this:
514M0zfCyqL._SS500_.jpg Echospace is DeepChord’s Rod Modell and Soultek’s Steve Hitchell. Seven or so years ago, Mike Schommer and Rod Modell released DeepChord 01-06, which was nothing more than a poor man’s Basic Channel. DeepChord’s dub lacked the alien radiance, the urban intelligence, the galactic energy of Basic Channel’s dub. DeepChord were just not inhuman enough; Schommer and Modell sounded like they came from nowhere else but this planet. So unimpressive was the music that I didn’t know DeepChord had gone until they returned in 2007 as Echospace. With the The Coldest Season, DeepChord passed imitation and arrived at sublation. Basic Channel was now fully absorbed into its system and retransmitted as something else, something new, something on the edge of deep space. As much as I love (and can’t stop listening to) Burial’s “Near Dark,” Echospace’s “Abraxas” is certainly the most magical (numinous) dub to come out of last year.

Vince Gill’s Shout Out to Kanye

posted by on February 11 at 12:40 PM

Perhaps one of my favorite Grammy moments came via… Vince Gill?

Hahahaha!

Usher tried to put Kanye in his place last night too while handing out Album of the Year: “There are no losers in this category… Kanye.”

Still, props to Mr. West for two great performances. Sorry Hancock beat ya, duder.

Tonight in Music

posted by on February 11 at 12:25 PM

Baby Dee plays the Triple Door tonight. Kurt B. Reighley interviewed her for this week’s paper:

babydeeface.jpg

With her new album, Safe Inside the Day, she returns to square one—the Cleveland home where she grew up—while landing in a better place. Dee’s sublime earlier work frequently felt rarified, gentle. Now she boldly pulls a full face-plant into her messy childhood. Blues, bawdy songs, medieval dances, and snippets of Irish airs elbow each other across the parlor. In her expressive contralto, the fiftysomething singer huffs and snarls like a cartoon pirate on “The Earlie King,” a twisted nod to her father’s affection for the Franz Schubert lieder “Erlkönig.” With its interlaced accordion and banjo licks, “The Dance of Diminishing Possibilities” draws inspiration from the day Dee’s neighbors demolished an upright piano.

But Safe is not strict autobiography. It is mythology, its grotesque subjects rooted in fantasy. Tales like the slow, spectral “Fresh Out of Candles” elevate fiction over facts. “This album is emotionally far more complex than anything I’ve ever done,” admits Dee. “And much more easily misunderstood. But they’re compelling lies—that have to be told.”

Also tonight? Square Dancing!

The Tallboys
(Tractor) I’d like to say that the Tallboys are Seattle’s premier old-time band, but to be honest, I’ve never actually heard any other Seattle old-time bands. So let’s just say that the four-piece string band are absolutely fantastic, expertly playing fun, danceable tunes, with guitar, fiddle, banjo, and stand-up bass. (As a bonus, the guitarist often clog dances while simultaneously playing the guitar, and she always has on a cute, vintage dress.) Tonight’s show is extra-special because the Tallboys are the live accompaniment to the Tractor’s monthly square dance, and that is always a damn good time. KIM HAYDEN

And lastly, the Horrorpops, Pink Spiders, Rocket, and Steve E. Nix & the Cute Lepers play at El Corazon. The Horrorpops look like this:

horrorpopsgroup.jpg

Discuss.

Schoolyard Heroes’ Tour Diary

posted by on February 11 at 11:34 AM

briandrums.jpg

Brian Turner, drummer for Schoolyard Heroes, is keeping a blog of the band’s cross-country escapades with Aiden.

An excerpt:

Being in a band isn’t about making every show your best show, it’s about making sure every show isn’t a complete disaster. The show last night in Portland almost landed in the latter category. Here is why:

* Jonah chipped a tooth. A crazed fan fell on the microphone stand and the stand fell on Jonah’s tooth. That’s okay though, because I fastened him a new tooth out of a lime Jolly Rancher and Elmer’s glue.
* We left Steve’s entire set of guitar pedals (suggested retail value: $500) in Mount Vernon, WA two nights ago. That’s okay though, Jonah rigged him a new distortion pedal out of tinfoil, human hair, and coffee cake.
* Wil from Aiden broke Ryann’s mic stand. That’s okay though, because Steve made a new stand out of toothpicks.
* I lost $20 betting Wil he couldn’t break Ryann’s mic stand.
Still, though, last night was awesome. The Sacramento show starts in an hour.

He’s only a couple days into it, but he promises to update it every chance he gets. Click here to check it out.

Amy Winehouse at the Grammys: Not a Disaster

posted by on February 11 at 11:06 AM

Amy Winehouse didn’t look stoned, her skin wasn’t blue, and she was standing on her own… until she won, of course. This is the first time I can remember that an artist honestly looked shocked and thankful for taking home a Grammy.

You’d have to be a monster to not get at least a little goosebumpy when you see the sincere, tearful look on her face.

KEXP Partners with Radio New York

posted by on February 11 at 10:33 AM

seattleny.jpg

KEXP and Radio New York - WNYE 91.5 FM, a NY public radio station, announce today that they are joining forces to create a partnership called Radio Liberation:

Beginning March 24, 2008, Radio Liberation will air KEXP-produced programming Monday through Friday on WNYE. The programming will feature a three-hour drive-time music show followed by three simulcast hours of The Morning Show with John Richards, a nightly world music show and a weekly variety show hosted by KEXP DJ and senior director of programming, Kevin Cole.

Through the Radio Liberation partnership, KEXP will be able to reach another 14 million terrestrial listeners in New York, sharing Seattle’s unique music community with New Yorkers who are seeking an alternative to commercial radio.

As part of the partnership, KEXP and Radio New York will produce hundreds of live performances a year. With increased access to New York bands and touring artists, Radio Liberation will also bring additional in-studio performances to listeners on both costs.

For more info visit kexp.org.

That’s MILLIONS of more listeners. Not thousands. Now that is extra terrestrial. This is huge. And great. Your band, that you recorded in your basement, will now potentially be heard by MILLIONS more people.

In the face of today’s Clear Channel brain washing regime, KEXP has struck a blow for independent music. People are going to bitch and moan about this I’m sure, but to those people I ask:

If you’re against KEXP, are you for Clear Channel? If you’re against KEXP, what are you for? You don’t have to give your money to KEXP, but have fun listening to Avril Lavigne, Incubus, and Fall Out Boy all day.

** Update: John will be effectively splitting his time between cities and broadcasting his show live from both locations throughout the year.

Kanye’s “Stronger” Performance

posted by on February 11 at 12:41 AM

Missed Kanye’s performance of “Stronger” at the Grammys? Here it is (at least until the video gets yanked):

Look at Who Won a Grammy

posted by on February 11 at 12:01 AM

A full list can be found here, but here are a few highlights of tonight’s winners:

Record of the Year: Amy Winehouse “Rehab”
Album of the Year: Herbie Hancock River: The Joni Letters
Song of the Year: Amy Winehouse “Rehab”
Best New Artist: Amy Winehouse
Best Female Pop Vocal Performance: Amy Winehouse “Rehab”
Best Male Pop Vocal Performance: Justin Timberlake “What Goes Around… Comes Around”
Best Pop Vocal Album: Amy Winehouse Back to Black
Best Dance Recording: Justin Timberlake LoveStoned/I Think She Knows
Best Electronic/Dance Album: The Chemical Brothers We Are the Night
Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group: The White Stripes Icky Thump
Best Hard Rock Performance: Foo Fighters “The Pretender”
Best Metal Performance: Slayer “Final Six”
Best Rock Album: Foo Fighters Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace

And a whole lot more…Click the link to see ‘em.

As for the show itself, Kanye with Daft Punk was the highlight for me. He had glowing sunglasses and a digital jacket. And Daft Punk, of course, looked like astronaut robots. And the song Kanye did afterwards, for his mom, brought him and just about every person in the room to tears.

And did you see the look on Amy Winhouse’s face when it was announced she won Album of the Year? She totally cried and it looked like maybe, just maybe, it was going to be enough to snap her back to reality so she can get her shit together. Maybe. She won five Grammys in all.

There was no Britney, no Michael Jackson, and a weird Beatles thing. There was also a really ugly dress worn by Alicia Keys—it made her boobs look really awkward. Also, a guy with a paisley guitar (Brad Paisley) sang about checking girls for ticks. Ew.

Jerry Lee Lewis proved he was old, Little Richard proved he was a machine that never ages, and there was no big ending, there was no climax, but there were plenty of snarky and funny comments in the liveblogging of the show (thanks to everyone who joined me!).

Overall, they weren’t the best Grammys ever (they never are), but they didn’t suck. Foo Fighters with the Zeppelin Orchestra was pretty good (and Jason Bateman introduced them, no less!), and “Hey There Delilah” didn’t win a thing. Hooray to all that, I say.

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Liveblogging the Grammys

posted by on February 10 at 7:45 PM

Got something to say about the Grammys? Leave comments in the screen above and I’ll publish the good ones (and maybe even the bad ones)!

Tonight in Music—Grammys Edition

posted by on February 10 at 3:54 PM

Narwhal vs. Narwhal at the Comet! Tonight!

Narwhal vs. Narwhal, the Transport Assembly, Vanishing Kids, the Royal Bear
(Comet) Best band name of the week, hands down. Maybe even the year. Narwhal vs. Narwhal evokes visions of an epic battle at sea—underwater unicorns duking it out, thrashing each other, fighting for the respect of all the other sea creatures. Starfish, seahorses, and those little crabs that walk along the bottom of the ocean with spirally shell houses look on. The band’s sound is less volatile. Start with really early Modest Mouse—the kind of Modest Mouse that sounds defeated, like they weren’t sure if they’d ever make it out of Issaquah. Now hype up that sound with a little basement-dance-party vibe—it feels better, more confident, the keyboards fill out the garage-band sound. And now, to make sure that they’re true originals, N vs. N… wait for it… have horns. Yeah, horns. Trumpets, in fact. And I think a saxophone—sometimes it’s aggressive like Plastic Mastery’s screamo moments, other times you wanna clap your hands in the air and shake your ass. If these kids got on a bill with Coconut Coolouts the world would explode. Narwhal vs. Banana Man. Now that’d be funny. MEGAN SELING

Also tonight:

DJ Shadow at Showbox at the Market
Just go to this show—it’s the right thing to do. What makes it right? DJ Shadow simply means it can’t go wrong. The legendary Bay Area producer, remixer, and scratcher will be in the house with Cut Chemist. (The two recently released a collaboration called Hard Sell.) Kid Koala, the turntable genius from Montreal, will also be in the house. Indeed, this is less a show and more of a temporary temple for a hiphop art that was eclipsed many years ago by the self-obsessed rapper. (Showbox at the Market, 1426 First Ave, 628-0888. 8 pm, $30 adv/$35 DOS, 21+.) by Charles Mudede

And from this week’s My Philosophy:

On Sunday, February 10, Wizdom is headlining a show of local up-and-comers over at Chop Suey with Life Cycle, Tulsi, Tac-Town’s Can-U, and Night Crawlers. Wiz is currently hard at work on his next album, featuring production by D.C.’s Epidemmik and guest spots from the Physics’ Thig Natural, Grynch, and New Balance (you know, #81—Nate Burleson), among others.

For those of you planning on staying home—log on to Line Out around 8 pm to watch the Grammys with me. I’ll be liveblogging the whole show (or as much of it as I can take, anyway). I’d love it if you would join me.

New Faces Win First Round of Sound Off! Semi-Finals

posted by on February 10 at 3:35 PM

New Faces, a poppy new-wave trio from Port Townsend, beat the slew of metal acts at last night’s Sound Off! showcase—the band will play again at the finals, March 1st at the EMP Skychurch.

Round two of the semi-finals is next Saturday—the line-up includes the KnowMads, the Nextdoor Neighbors, Pat Goodwin, and Scribes.

Congratulations, New Faces!

New Helvetia Song

posted by on February 10 at 1:13 PM

helvetia.jpg

Pitchfork has just posted a new track off of local band Helvetia’s sophomore album the Acrobats, and staying true to the laid back good times that was their Up Records debut the Clever North Wind it made my dreary Sunday morning a bit less grim. You may remember 2/3 of Helvetia from their nineties Sup Pop outfit Duster. They’ve still got that warm analog sound, only now they’ve had years and years to master it.

Helvetia - Old New Bicycle

Tonight on Flotation Device

posted by on February 10 at 10:23 AM

Music by underrated electronic music pioneers Josef Anton Riedl and Alwin Nikolais, the first person to buy a Moog synthesizer. Also on deck: Leticia Casteneda, who served up a superb set at the Wooden Octopus Skull PFest in 2006, acousmatic music by Darren Copeland, and the League of Automatic Music Composers, perhaps the first group to make music with networked computers.

Nico Muhly

Also in the mix: two Seattle sound artists - Byron Au Yong and some fine field recordings from China by Jason Kopec, who performs this coming Tuesday at the Chapel Performance Space - as well as work by Annea Lockwood (“Delta Run,” a haunting end-of-life portrait of the sculptor Walter Wincha), John Adams, Nico Muhly (pictured above), and much more…

Catch the on-line stream or tune in to KBCS 91.3 FM from 10 pm to midnight.