« Total Eclipse of the Moon | Do You Hate Yourself? »

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Super Wednesday - Slats Poll

posted by on February 20 at 10:00 AM

slats.jpg

I posted the above picture of Slats at King Cobra last week. The caption said, “Slats. You’ve seen him. You love him. He knows Duff Mckagan.”

‘NotAPoser’ said:

Hey, quit lending credence to wastes of space and air like Slats by giving them trainspotter status. Fuck off!

The ‘Where’s Slats?’ thread on the Stranger Forum has been running since Nov. 2006. It’s good reading. ‘Tube’ says:

Slats is so cool that he doesn’t walk down Broadway, Broadway simply rolls under Slats.

What do you say?:

Does Slats deserve train-spotter status?

Have you ever seen Slats?

Slats is a:

Does Slats really know Duff Mckagan?

Does Slats walk down Broadway or does Broadway roll under Slats?

Question:

What is Slats? Is there a Wikipedia entry someone can point me in the direction of? Thanks.

Posted by Bryce | February 20, 2008 10:36 AM

Bryce, check the 'Where's Slats?' Stranger Forum. I believe you find all you need to know.

Slats is a man. Slats is a myth. Slats is Slats.

Posted by trent moorman | February 20, 2008 10:39 AM
Posted by josh | February 20, 2008 10:54 AM

My question is why ISN'T there a Wikipedia entry for him?

Posted by Megan Seling | February 20, 2008 11:28 AM

Thanks Trent. Though I think I was looking for an answer in the area of biological/molecular composition. More to the point, I want to know if he is a cyborg. A zombie?
Megan, can we start a Wiki page together? Obviously I am not an expert on the subject, but Trent says Slats is a myth in addition to being a man. I define myth as "made up shit", so...want to make some shit up?

Posted by Bryce | February 20, 2008 12:06 PM

This poll is genius.

Posted by Troy | February 20, 2008 12:08 PM

Slats is a Seattle Icon but he also needs to have that one final hit of smack and say farewell to the living. he's a disgusting sight and someone should point out that dressing like a roadie for Whitesnake is not cool. lets chip in to buy Slats his final drug injection!

Posted by porcupine | February 20, 2008 12:28 PM

never met the guy, but "knife manual" is a classic seattle punk song.

Posted by honcho | February 20, 2008 1:07 PM

There's a reason so many musicians over the years know Slats.

He's a Seattle legend for sure, but a sad one.

Posted by Dougsf | February 20, 2008 1:27 PM

You're a prick, porcupine. Drug addicts don't need to die--they need treatment. By your logic half the crowd at Linda's should be toppled off their barstools and poured full of everclear. Temping as taking out a bunch of useless hipsters may sound, their alcoholism isn't the reason to do it.

Posted by Dominic Holden | February 20, 2008 1:28 PM

Someone just called me and said the place where they work is having an office wager on this poll.

Go Slats! I have $2 on Broadway rolling underneath you by 60%

Posted by Anna | February 20, 2008 1:33 PM

Next time you see Slats ask him if he's ever been, or plans to go to West Seattle. He'll know what it means

Posted by KELLY O | February 20, 2008 2:43 PM

I can die happy now that I've seen Slats at a hiphop show. Astonishing.

It's characters like him who give Seattle some personality, you know? I love it, love seeing him, love knowing who he is. There's that one lady who weeps loudly at you, begging you for money. Also the Frye Apartments guy. It's all flavor, in my opinion.

Posted by Katelyn | February 20, 2008 2:45 PM

@13

Oh shit! Weeping Lady!!! We refer to her as "'scuse me" because that is her line; it is what she does, she owns it, it is her thing. You are right, total Seattle flavor. After returning from tour a few years ago, the first thing we were greeted with was a good old "'scuse me" as we piled out of our tour van to unload at the Chop House. We knew we were home. Nowadays I see her at the bus stop on 4th and Pike, talking in a normal voice and scoring some rocks. Awesome! I love this city.

Posted by Bryce | February 20, 2008 3:04 PM

dont forget:

scab-neck guy, UW cobweb goth goblin, aluminum foil guy, voodoo lady (usually across from bauhaus casting spells at traffic), crazy screaming guy (which i happily help him out on myspace - www.myspace.com/crazyscreamingguy), crazy vet, .. the list goes on.

But far and beyond, LINK and OLD MAN win the award for 'Most peculiar in seattle' hands down. I have an extensive database on Link and there is a Link Appreciation Society too.

Posted by bobcat | February 20, 2008 3:27 PM

What about the dancing man/woman with boobs that used to hang out on Pine? Link used to be mean, but he's mellowed with age.

Posted by K | February 20, 2008 4:10 PM

#16 Mama-Niqua! I love her/him, but she/he does not love me back. Every time I walk by her she/he hisses "I hate blondes" and gives me meanie stink eye

Posted by KELLY O | February 20, 2008 4:31 PM

Broadway rolling under Slats at 65% !!

W000000h000000!!!! I won!

Posted by Anna | February 20, 2008 6:12 PM

Remember Slam Hate? Anyone see him around?

Posted by Madashell | February 20, 2008 6:21 PM

No. Who is Slam Hate? I need a description.

Posted by Anna | February 20, 2008 6:30 PM

He was a frequent figure at shows and on Broadway. He was a person you'd recognize and remember. In the mid-80s, I was at a show at the UCT Hall on Lower Queen Anne, and he passed out at my feet.
Slats - well, I saw him many times way back when, at many a party, many a show, and a few packed car rides.

Posted by Madashell | February 20, 2008 11:21 PM

wait. how OLD is slats anyway?

Posted by Emily | February 21, 2008 8:43 AM

Once I was a show as HTFC, and while I was waiting in the bathroom line, he comes up and compliments me on my hair; I guess it's kinda similar as it's big and messy.
But right after that, some girl said something along the lines how I need a haircut, and Slats wasn't having any of that, and was quick to defend me.
I will always find a friend in him.

Posted by Nathan | February 21, 2008 12:16 PM

"wait. how OLD is slats anyway?"

He's gotta be in his mid-40s. I remember seeing him the first time I went to the Ave when I was still in highschool... probably around 1984. I think he's still wearing the same outfit.

Posted by dan10things | February 21, 2008 12:31 PM

Katelynn @ 13:
Crazy Weeping Cluck is named Denise, and if you yell it @ her when she makes w/the waterworks she'll freeze dead; it's like hitting King Hippo in the stomach in Punch-Out

Kells @ #17:
I hate that motherfucker. He gave the dirtiest fucking look once, i asked him if he had a problem and he sucked his teeth and catwalked off...i really wanted to beat his face

Posted by lar | February 21, 2008 1:02 PM

also- seen w/ my own two:

Q: "Slats, can I get a picture with you?"
A: "not if it's for your blog"

Posted by lar | February 21, 2008 1:04 PM

P.P.S.
Bobcat...i think i saw Link recently...he had cut his hair and was trying to pass as a non-Hyrulean.

Posted by lar | February 21, 2008 1:06 PM

@27

Yeah, I don't know what up with Link, I think he found the triforce and decided to give up on the Master Quest or something.

Posted by Ganon | February 22, 2008 11:03 AM