« Australian English | Today's Music News »

Friday, February 8, 2008

Boysenberry Syrup & 47,600,000

posted by on February 8 at 15:07 PM

Genesis made $47,600,000 from touring in 2007. (Rolling Stone 2/7/08.)

I did not know there was that much crack in the world.

I made the mistake one time of falling asleep after watching the video for the Genesis song “Land of Confusion”. It’s the one where Nancy and Ronald Reagan are in bed with a monkey and at the end Ron accidentally hits the ‘nuke’ button.

That night I dreamt I lived in the orangutan cage at a zoo exhibit on the planet Tralfamadore (from Kurt Vonnegut’s Slaughterhouse Five). The only thing they would feed us was shark meat with boysenberry syrup on it. The only thing they would give us to drink was Tab cola.

The orangutans spoke English with Latino-Mexican accents and played the board game Chutes and Ladders for like 10 hours a day. They constantly cheated. They also swung on ropes.

I don’t like boysenberry syrup anymore.

chutesladders.jpg

Tell the truth Trent, you are stoned right now. No?

Posted by Jeff | February 8, 2008 3:13 PM

Nope.

Posted by trent moorman | February 8, 2008 3:15 PM

he said THE TRUTH!

Posted by lar | February 8, 2008 3:31 PM

Regardless of one's personal opinion of the music of Genesis, to ignore their decades of albums, big big eighties hits and the fact that they hadn't toured in any form for quite some time and have strong Boomer appeal suggests that the crack being smoked is on the other side of the keyboard in this case.

Posted by Tiktok | February 8, 2008 8:17 PM

Crack makes good records.

Me>Genesis.

Posted by Pete Doherty | February 9, 2008 11:39 AM

I'm sad that Genesis has become a band to be snubbed by the Cool and Hip. Yes, the band went downhill after Peter Gabriel left -- I never listened to them again after Trick of the Tail, despite the fact that Phil Collins did one of the best Peter Gabriel impressions I'd ever heard.

But their 5 prime albums, from Trespass through The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, are some of best music made in the 70's. I know, I was there. Their live shows were incredible. I saw the Selling England and Lamb tours in LA. There's never been another band that captured my imagination the way early Genesis did.

And I see no reason to apologize for liking them, either. I rarely go to shows that cost more than $10 (usually my friends' bands), so who's fault is it that people shell out ridiculous amounts of money for rock shows?

Posted by Rael | February 12, 2008 4:58 PM