« Did You Know... | NOFX is Coming to Seattle »

Monday, February 11, 2008

About Local (Seattle) Music, John Said:

posted by on February 11 at 15:31 PM

Earlier, I asked DJ John Richards if the new KEXP partnership with Radio New York would mean less coverage of Seattle music.

He said:

KEXP plays more local music than anyone in town ever has or ever will.

The Morning Show absolutely will not turn its back on Seattle bands just because it’s on the air in New York. In fact, the Morning Show in New York will be a huge benefit to Seattle bands because they will be able to reach many more listeners.

The second anyone hears less from the Seattle music scene is the second I quit doing a radio show. Why on earth would KEXP stop doing supporting local music? That’s what it’s been doing successfully for 30 years?

And local music's done a great job of supporting you, too, right, John? (Only couldn't you find a way to play more Cave Singers on your show?)

Posted by maddogm13 | February 11, 2008 3:43 PM

But he makes so much money! He must be up to something evil! He plans to play Slipknot four or five times a day! You heard it here first!

Posted by dreamboatcaptain | February 11, 2008 3:44 PM

@#1: Who cares? John could have left for major media outlets years ago, but he's stuck with KEXP. Now, certainly some of this may be ego -- a desire to be a huge fish in a small pond -- but the fact is, he's still a champion of independent music, even if he happens to profit off that music he's promoting.

Posted by dreamboatcaptain | February 11, 2008 3:48 PM

"I'm John In The Morning. Brought to you by Loveless Records."

"Why do you keep saying that?"

"'Cause they pay me every time I do. It's a really good way of making money. You're so smart, why don't you know that?"

Posted by Jason Josephes | February 11, 2008 3:48 PM

Hating on John Richards has soooooooo jumped the shark.

Posted by jimmy legs | February 11, 2008 3:55 PM

what is the difference between john-in-the having a radio show playing in nyc and anyone else at kexp having a radio show playing in nyc? do the morning haters hate john or nyc? or just anything that anyone does?

Posted by cosby | February 11, 2008 4:14 PM

KEXP categorically does not play more music than its poor cinderella stepsister RainyDawg Radio. That whole "this is the only place in Seattle you'll hear [band name]" arrogance is what pisses me off most about KEXP.

While KEXP is out at the glamorous over-the-air NY ball, RainyDawg radio will be polishing the online cutlery in the HUB basement. UW should pull the frequency and give it back to the students!!!

Posted by boyd main | February 11, 2008 4:20 PM

Boyd, you don't think UW is excited for the chance to have their hands on a little piece of NY pie?

Posted by Listener 21 | February 11, 2008 4:23 PM

I've got John's back 100%. I think this is a GREAT look for Seattle Music..

And maddogm13, go buy the CD if you don't hear 'em enough!!!

I request the cave singers, and i've heard them a bunch...

Posted by Nikko | February 11, 2008 4:24 PM

Listener 21 - I do not think the UW is getting any piece of any pie. As far as I can tell the relationship between KEXP and UW is distinctly one-way. Unless you were paying a lot of attention you'd be hard pressed to know that KEXP owed it's existence to the UW.

Maybe when you got your pledge renewal envelope you might notice that it came in a UW envelope. If you look at URLs you might notice that UW is donating the bandwidth for KEXP's blog. But you'd be really hard pressed to ever hear acknowledgement over the air that UW has anything to do with KEXP, let alone provided the frequency on which it broadcasts.

Posted by boyd main | February 11, 2008 4:28 PM

Well, I would wager to say that UW is all for having a direct hook up into the NY market. Whether or not KEXP flaunts its UW ties, the ties are there and the ties are going into a market that can be beneficial for their school in many ways.

Posted by Listener 21 | February 11, 2008 4:37 PM

I'm glad someone pointed out that RainyDawg plays actual local music. When was the last time you heard any local music on kexp outside of Saturday night? The cave singers don't count. They've crossed over to the general genre of indie.

Posted by rainydawg | February 11, 2008 5:10 PM

Does anyone else find this utterly arrogant and probably not true?:
'KEXP plays more local music than anyone in town ever has or ever will.'
Is John God? And if not, how can he predict the future (e.g. 'or ever will')?

Posted by call me a snot | February 11, 2008 5:39 PM

I predicted the move to NYC months ago on the Stranger Slog Forum.

Keep on pledging suckas!!

Posted by Shitoshinola | February 11, 2008 6:40 PM

The fact that KEXP is expanding it's mission to expose great music, from the northwest and beyond, to NYC rocks! KEXP is giving New Yorkers a reason to finally tune in to their very own radios. GOOD FOR YOU, KEXP! I'm all for it and will continue to support your efforts 100%. Knock their socks off, John, Kevin and all of the cool folks at KEXP! Made my day!

Posted by whatev' | February 11, 2008 7:17 PM

I don't hate on John. Just funnin'. It's an exciting time for the station. Also glad Kevin Cole is getting some extra exposure. The man has been busting his ass forever and deserves a bigger audience.

Posted by Jason Josephes | February 11, 2008 9:04 PM

John should have quit a long time ago, then. How many times do we need to hear the Pixies (Great band, gets enough airplay other places)? U2? The “new, easy listening” Cure? Radio play time given away to, well, certainly NOT local bands. If KEXP was playing all the local music there was to have, I wouldn’t mind listening to the Pixies, too, once in a while. Seattle is missing out on the bands John, et al, don’t like. It’s not just KEXP. Ask any band that is just starting out. Most places in town expect you to bring a crowd, but they don’t help you find your crowd, they could care less. Obviously bands have made it around here anyway … someone at KEXP liked them, no doubt.

Posted by KCMU fan | February 11, 2008 9:12 PM

What do you think is going to happen, say a year or three down the road, when there are more NY donors/listeners than Seattle ones? I guarantee you're going to see more and more emphasis on NYC and less and less on Seattle. Five years from now KEXP will be a NYC station with an occasional few shows in Seattle for nostalgia.

This has everything to do with bringing in more $ and bending over backwards to make John happy. I like his show, I don't begrudge him the high salary they pay him, but this is going too far, and they're putting the station at risk.

I've already talked to almost a dozen long-time members who are done with donating to KEXP in light of this latest move.

Posted by longtimekexpsupporter | February 11, 2008 9:17 PM

local hiphop snorts at this thread!
keep on truckin john boy!

Posted by lar | February 11, 2008 10:25 PM

wow--DJs might not play music they don't like. stop press!

Posted by Matos W.K. | February 12, 2008 12:22 AM

Matos W.K.@20 -
(perhaps you have not been following the whole discussion...)
Ha. What if he doesn't like local bands? I'm not saying he's doing something wrong, per se, I'm saying KEXP needs some different players, maybe a different direction, certainly some folks that are willing to go out and see what's here, and take responsibility for playing it. The thing is I've seen and heard local talent that John would probably like.

Posted by KCMU fan | February 12, 2008 7:53 AM

@3 God, I know. Seattle is so, so lucky to have such a unique, dynamic, funny, personable, wonderful D.J. to wake up to every day. I have no idea how listeners in cities other than Seattle (and New York, wow!) have survived all these years without him.

Posted by MadDogM13 | February 12, 2008 10:17 AM

@12:

Not that it matters, but I sent a CD to Rainydawg and never heard anything nor had a single track played.. Meanwhile KEXP offered an in-studio and played our album in regular/heavy rotation for a month+! And no... We don't know any of the DJs or employees personally at either station and aren't ex-members of any prior cool bands.

Just sayin'..

Posted by rainywhat? | February 12, 2008 10:28 AM

I would just like to say go around the rest of the country and tell me where you can be in your car and hear the kind of music that they play.

The fact that ANYBODY hates on John for doing his job with all the sacrifices he has to make is fucking ludicrous. Most people that bitch about it don't know how much he really has done for this scene.

I don't usually comment on these, because it's such a negative blast from everybody, but I get tired of listening to people talk shit about somebody for no real apparent reason.

As for not playing local music outside of Saturdays? Are you high or don't listen to KEXP?

Current Charts:

1. Helio Sequence our brothers to the south
8. The Hands
9. Cancer Rising
12. Chris Walla yeah, he's in a big band, but still from the NW
36. Say Hi
42. Vellela Vellela
50. Black Eyes and Neckties
59. Cave Singers don't care what you say, they all live in Seattle
63. The Lashes
68. The Physics
89. Shim
90. Kultur Shock

Stop Hating

Not afraid to be anonymous either.

Posted by Steven Severin | February 13, 2008 8:16 AM

I'm sorry you think we're just negative for no apparent reason. I thought I was joining in a discussion about my community and the direction it's going in. I am certainly no flag waver, but this, at least, is one of the benefits of living in this country, that we get to participate and talk about what's going on.

And here you've shown information from KEXP's music Chart. I'm not sure what the chart indicates (does it indicate # of plays?)
But you seem to be saying that 12 local bands out of a list 90 is showing us how well KEXP is supporting it's local music community. Hmm. I get a different take on those numbers.

Posted by KCMU fan | February 13, 2008 1:19 PM

I'd say that those 12 bands (out of 90) is merely on indication that the radio station is acknowledging the better local acts.. Not to sound like I don't support local music, but I think the problem is we don't have enough good local bands (to constitute a top 90 list).

Are you more against this outsourcing of music KCMU FAN, or are you against the lack of free-form structure? It sucks that not as many local bands might not be heard (compared to the KCMU days), but maybe that means they should just start practicing harder?... :)

Posted by dudebro | February 13, 2008 3:07 PM

Well, that’s in interesting take. If you think that the NW doesn’t have enough good local bands, I would have to disagree. We do, but ‘good’ is certainly subjective. I have heard lots of crappy bends played on KEXP. Grunge was built on crappy bands! We’re you around then (I’m not talking about Soundgarden, Nirvana, etc)? But the other side of that coin is that KCMU would play all kinds of stuff, sometimes I would think what I was hearing was downright a waste of time, but I LOVED hearing it. It was worth listening to those bands for lots of reasons, but mostly, the next band would probably be someone I’d never heard of before and they would be great. That just doesn’t happen any more. My main argument is that the same DJs have been there or 15+ years and are making the same decisions about what’s worthy of air time, where before, they were volunteers, young, hip (in the true sense) and not just in touch with new music, but a part of it.

I haven't decided yet whether the NYC thing is good or bad for local bands. It seems like we have plenty of (good) bands here that do not get played on KEXP, so I guess I'm leaning toward the idea that more NY bands that KEXP DJs, Program Directors, etc, prefer, will get air time and leave those other bands out in the cold, even though they're local. The NYC connection will certainly be a good thing for the type of music that has been preferred by KEXP. But KEXP, for all of the hard work, just miss a lot. I'm not sure what yo mean by free-form structure...

Posted by KCMU fan | February 14, 2008 9:34 AM