« Out of My Head | Because Keyboard-Heavy Power P... »

Friday, February 22, 2008

Dave Grohl vs. Wolverine

posted by on February 22 at 13:37 PM

The Foo Fighters have announced that they are suing Marvel Comics for copyright infringement based on a trailer for a new Wolverine cartoon that uses “substantial excerpts” of the songs “Best of You” and “Free Me.” It’s clear that the songs appear in the trailer, so there’s not much of an argument that Marvel can put up. Still, I can’t help wishing that for some reason Grohl will lose, or at least that he would have asked them to remove the music without bringing legal action. This is a clash between two of my childhood idols - the Foo Fighters and the X-Men. Although I don’t read comics like I used to, I would much rather pick up the new X-Men book than listen to the new Foo Fighters album. I long for the time when using someone’s music could be construed as a compliment. Now it warrants a lawsuit. Obviously Grohl was never a comic book fan. Go get your money, Scrooge.

I saw Grohl shopping at Golden Age once.

I always wished he'd stayed behind the drums.

Posted by Paulus | February 22, 2008 2:10 PM

Yeah what a sellout, he just wants to get paid for his music being used to promote a cartoon that will serve as nothing more than a marketing tool for related merch that sells at 29.99 a pop.

Sometimes I don't get you people, honestly.

Posted by DJ Nphared | February 22, 2008 2:14 PM

I understand wanting to get paid for work you do. But in a case like this I think it's much classier to just tell them they can't use it without permission instead of suing them.

Posted by Jeff Kirby | February 22, 2008 2:37 PM

@2: Nice Myspace promo link.. Nice.

Posted by Nice. | February 22, 2008 2:38 PM

Grohl is emo now. Or is that just me?

Posted by Meat | February 22, 2008 2:45 PM

Meat is the new emo. You heard it here first.

If I were Dave Grohl, I'd negotiate a cameo. "Come on! I was in the Tenacious D movie!"

Posted by Jason Josephes | February 22, 2008 3:20 PM

don't hate on ghrol. he's got money, fame, etc, but the guy worked hard for it. he deserves it and it's not right for marvel to use his hard work for their own gain. (and is it right to bag on him without knowing if he first asked marvel comics to remove his material?) it's not like the guy has a lot of time to spend chasing this stuff down. nor should he have to do so. give him a break.

Posted by all true | February 22, 2008 3:26 PM

he's the best at what he does, and what he does ain't pretty

Posted by lar | February 22, 2008 3:31 PM

@8:
wolverine?

Posted by cosby | February 22, 2008 3:37 PM

(scoffs)i guess you weren't a big ol geek in the 90's!

Posted by lar | February 22, 2008 3:59 PM

Huh? It's their music, they own the licensing rights. This is what happens when businesses use material without asking first. And seeing (as from the article) this new series is going to be outsourced to an animation-house for $1/hour labor, I hope they make them pay big.

Posted by seattle98104 | February 22, 2008 4:21 PM

We're sorry, this video is no longer available.

Posted by KeeKee | February 22, 2008 7:57 PM

I long for the time when using someoneís music could be construed as a compliment.

ah, the ignorance of youth.

Posted by Gettin the shaff from the record company | February 24, 2008 9:14 PM