« Wall Of Sound: Long Live Physi... | St. Vincent »

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Don’t Yell Out “Freebird” at a Show

posted by on February 23 at 19:30 PM

Ever. It’s not funny anymore. I don’t think it ever was. Thank you.

i don't know...it was pretty funny AND awesome when a handful of years ago at bumbershoot someone yelled it out at Built To Spill and then Built To Spill played it.

Posted by greg | February 23, 2008 7:42 PM

Thanks for saying it (twice in a row, no less!), but I long ago realized that no matter how many times you tell 'em not to, somebody's probably gonna go and yell it anyway.

Posted by flamingbanjo | February 23, 2008 8:00 PM

PLAAAYYY FREEEEBIIRDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Hernandez | February 24, 2008 12:22 AM

See?

Posted by flamingbanjo | February 24, 2008 9:51 AM

Yeah, it's old, although "more cowbell" is becoming the 21st century version of it.

Posted by Jason Josephes | February 24, 2008 1:58 PM

@4 You're right. I guess I wanted to go on record as being opposed to it, especially after I heard it yelled at the TAAS show Friday night. Sigh.

And I've been guilty of saying "more cowbell" in the past, but once a saying gets on a t-shirt sold in the back of Rolling Stone, I'm done with it.

RIP "I Love Lamp."

Posted by Megan Seling | February 24, 2008 2:52 PM

megan, dont be an old coot.

FREEBIRD

Posted by bobcat | February 24, 2008 3:11 PM

Completely on board with this one. And it's not funny no matter how you look at it! It's not ironic, it's not post-ironic or anything absurd like that. It's just fucking obnoxious. People who yell Freebird need to stop attending shows. Fuck.

Posted by Nick | February 24, 2008 5:24 PM

I normally request Candle in the Wind anyway.

Posted by Barky | February 24, 2008 8:55 PM

...Yeah, the "Freebird" guy was so annoying! But Annie's "Ring My Bell" intro was breathtaking, and NICO!? I never thought anyone would cover that song- and do it well...Annie ridiculously talented.

It wont surprize me when St. Vincent returns to Seattle that she'll be playing a much larger sold-out show...she is exactly what I've been waiting for. THANK GOD! Please no more Freebird.

Posted by Kristen Truax | February 25, 2008 1:08 AM

People who (still) yell Freebird are the same people who (still) wear mullets. Basically, stupid rednecks.

Posted by rk | February 25, 2008 8:29 AM

OK rk, on that same idiotic train of thought: all black people eat watermelon and fried chicken because thats what their kind eats.

Posted by rk = rasict kook | February 25, 2008 10:46 AM

In general, I am against people shouting any commands at bands on stage.

That said, I've been known to yell "more melodica!" at bands when I'm drunk. So I forgive the intoxicated.

Posted by unarata | February 25, 2008 11:34 AM

I think a great solution would just be for every band who plays live to write a song called 'Freebird'. That'll teach 'em.

Posted by Johann | February 25, 2008 1:15 PM

Ha, now being anti-redneck is the same as being racist? Yeah ok, whatever, redneck dude. (ps, if you're going to use big words like racist, learn to spell them first.)

Posted by rk says: freebirding rednecks suck | February 25, 2008 2:41 PM

Actually it depends on the situation, when we saw Bauhaus in NYC at the Hammerstien they did an overly-long 3 minute pause between songs, my "FREEEEBIIIRRDDD" made the entire crowd bust out laughing; I didn't make it onto the DVD though :-/

Posted by Colton | February 25, 2008 5:51 PM

When in doubt, as always, turn to Bill Hicks.

Posted by Fawkes | February 25, 2008 5:51 PM

"It's Raining Men" is the new "Freebird."

Posted by Andrew | February 25, 2008 6:10 PM

@16: That was you?! Way to ruin our vibe, jerkwad.

Posted by peter murphy | February 25, 2008 6:25 PM

@19: Awwww, poor you. Three minutes of ruining your perfect pre-emo rock show. The post-operation must really be uncomfortable when your sense of humor is removed.

Yelling "Freebird": way funnier to do it to DJs who trainwreck and have to put the decks on pause. Heckling + irony.

Posted by The Monkey | February 25, 2008 9:57 PM

Gosh, I think everyone's taking this too seriously. This is getting dumb.

Posted by Morgan | February 26, 2008 6:36 AM

i play cello duets with a friend (retirement parties, graduations, uw faculty lectures, etc.) and i can't tell you how many times people have yelled "freebird" at us. seriously, we're playing cello duets at some lady's retirement, and your drunken ass is going to yell "freebird?" just goes to show, this is universal and will never be stopped.

Posted by ray | February 26, 2008 9:22 AM