« Tonight in Music--Video Editio... | The Hands of Bill »

Monday, February 18, 2008

Fremont Sonic Boom Sale

posted by on February 18 at 9:39 AM

Update: That Last Day Sale at Sonic Boom Fremont is 50% off everything used & 30% off everything new (except things that are already on sale).

Nabil Ayers says:

Thanks for 10+ great years and see you in Ballard & Capitol Hill.

sb_exterior2.jpg

photo: Bill Anthony

In a comment from this weekend ‘Pooper’ said:

OMG, a record store is going out of business!!! Oh wait - that happens all the time, because we have the internet now. Anybody running a record store now who doesn’t expect to be forced into shutting down in the next 5 years should be given a Gold Star for Baseless Optimism.

Fremont’s got more character than the rest of the city has in its big toe. I really doubt the passing of one record shop heralds the coming of the condo antichrist. (Not that he isn’t coming, of course…)

Pooper, you see, sometimes people fall in love with record stores. For those who had fallen in love with the Fremont Sonic Boom as a place to physically be while browsing and buying music, please, let us mourn.

And the entire comment makes no sense anyway because the store didn't close because "we have the internet now".

Posted by Brian | February 18, 2008 11:24 AM

It's not just the loss of a record store, but the loss of a neighborhood I loved. I know, I know... change is good. It doesn't make me miss, Aardvark's, Longshoreman's Daughter, Confounded Books, Bulldog News, Empty Space, The ORIGINAL Red Door, or Still Life any less.

Let's hope that Jive Time, Ophelia's and Private Screening can continue to afford their rents.

Posted by Wm. Anthony | February 18, 2008 11:27 AM

Pretty soon, Seattle will be one giant bubbled Wallverizonmart Homedepot Applecbucks. Our food will be in tablet form and our eyes will turn into flatscreens.

People will miss this store because of its character. But why would we want that? I'm going to take my lunch pill now and download a shit out my ass.

Posted by Robosad | February 18, 2008 1:52 PM

dude, i'll pay for a lunch pill. i'm too lazy to chew.

Posted by cosby | February 18, 2008 3:23 PM

people stopped shopping at record stores because while in the process of buying the new Band of Horses record, they saw some employee text messaging and then had a reaction akin to "OH MY GAWD! he's texting! while working in a record store! I'm going home to dowload this album instead, just as soon as I take a long shower to wash the evil from my soul!!! GAH!!!"

Posted by "Lee" | February 18, 2008 3:47 PM