« It Reviews Itself | Late Night - Monkey Loft Socia... »

Saturday, February 23, 2008

How To Wreck a Bar

posted by on February 23 at 3:15 AM

mono4.jpg

Monotonix, Black Eyes and Neckties, and Loving Thunder @ the Comet

lovingthunder.jpg

Last night was easily the best show I’ve seen so far this year. Bass and Drum duo Loving Thunder opened with solid DFA79 dance rock tracks. The texture on the bass was perfect - just the right amount of distortion, and incredibly full sounding.

bent2.jpg

On an normal bill you would be hard pressed to find another band that gives as much energy as Bellingham’s Black Eyes and Neckties. During the second song the legs came out from under the keyboard, leaving singer Brad Lockhart to sing the rest of the track on his back using his legs as supports. The band threw themselves carelessly around the stage as the sold out crowd danced and sang along, giving them a hell of a reception. The last song devolved into a striptease, the band ending up a sweaty heap on the ground. In all, it went about as well as any band could hope for their Comet debut. I had heard Monotonix was good, but I had my doubts it was going to be all that much better than what I just saw.

mono1.jpg

Turns out I had no idea what myself or the Comet was in for. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a band work a crowd or destroy a bar like Monotonix. They set fires and climbed the walls. The singer spent most of the show crowd surfing or climbing any available surface. He played the kick drum with his face. They set more fires. Sweat everywhere. Everyone was dancing, crowd surfing, participating. The drummer played his drums on the crowd. One of the light fixtures was torn from the ceiling. The management was not impressed. Everyone else had the time of their life. It was incredible. I forgot rock shows could be like that, if I ever really knew in the first place.

More photos after the jump.

Black Eyes and Neckties:

bent1.jpg

bent3.jpg

Monotonix:

mono2.jpg

mono3.jpg

mono5.jpg

mono6.jpg

mono7.jpg

Higher res versions of these pictures can be found here.

Fire at shows is plain fucking idiotic.

Posted by Tiktok | February 23, 2008 10:28 AM

No shit. Plus, it's probably a no-no in the endless labyrinth that is the state liquor board laws.

Posted by Jason Josephes | February 23, 2008 11:03 AM

Narc! Why are you trying to shut down the Comet?!?!1?

Posted by Eric Grandy | February 23, 2008 12:19 PM

I guess this would be a horrible time to announce that Black eyes and Neck ties have been confirmed to come back to Seattle on 04/19 to play at Seattle Semi-Pro Wrestling's 5th annual CHRONIC PAIN anniversary show at the King Cobra....

Posted by godsactionfigure | February 23, 2008 3:01 PM

It actually isn't that hard to get a fire permit.

I'm sorry I missed this show...

Posted by godsactionfigure | February 23, 2008 3:06 PM

Fire permit? Easy. Bands and pyrotechnics? Most likely not. Shit, I can't even let bands have beer onstage at the Moon because we got written up by the liquor board for it. Who knew it was against the law?

Posted by Jason Josephes | February 23, 2008 3:51 PM

Hey, The Fist is using my bass amp!

Posted by tallchris | February 24, 2008 9:57 AM

The Monotronix drummer looks like one of those Mariachi dudes from Mama's in that last photo.

Posted by Callie | February 25, 2008 3:40 PM

This show was rad. I got to hang out with the ever-delightful Kelly O, and Monotonix know how to get a crowd riled up like no other. The lead singer's moustache gives me the most intense facial hair envy ever. Sometimes being a girl sucks.

Posted by Aislinn | February 25, 2008 4:33 PM

Aww! And I'm with Aislinn - I had mustache (and chest hair) envy somethin FIERCE. The singer rocks a hardcore Sam Elliott, while the drummer has more of a Borat.

One of my absolute favorite shows of the year. So far. I do wish I remembered more of it, tho. I was HAMMED. Or as my little brother would say, Time Travelin' on the Whiskey Train...

Posted by KELLY O | February 25, 2008 6:17 PM