« Tonight in Music--Happy Valent... | HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY from 206... »

Thursday, February 14, 2008

I am Not a Motherfucking Morning Person

posted by on February 14 at 10:41 AM

As of yesterday, I have to wake up at 8 in the motherfucking morning. This is a challenge for me, because I usually roll out of bed at ten and accomplish exactly nothing until one or two in the afternoon. I am a night person, and yesterday I think I fell asleep before ten p.m.

I had a day job over ten years ago, and I hated every minute of the mornings: the crowded public transportation, the pained expressions on my fellow commuters’ faces, the long lines at coffee shops: All of it was bad.

The worst part of waking up on the north side of noon, though is Morning Motherfucking Radio. I hate it. I don’t understand why most radio stations think that the morning is an ideal time to put on the DJs who talk the most. I don’t want to hear it. I can barely comprehend lyrics before eleven in the morning.

That’s why I’ve been listening to Rainydawg Radio. It’s not perfect—what radio station is?—but I like that the morning hosts sound as groggy and discombobulated as I do. I also like that I have no idea what the next song will be. The first thing that I heard this morning, during an instrumental show, was Lightning Bolt, playing “Two Towers:”

Good! Morning!

Now if only Rainydawg could get some space on the radio dial, as I can’t take my laptop into the shower. Hm. Where could the University of Washington find a frequency on the radio?

Maybe there'll be a free once KEXP realizes it's wasting its time in piss-pot little Seattle.

Posted by boyd main | February 14, 2008 1:00 PM

Rainydawg is alright, but who really needs their own space on the dial is Hollow Earth Radio (hollowearthradio.com). That station is fucking brilliant and is totally going above and beyond what any other radio project is doing, internet or otherwise.

Posted by Benji | February 14, 2008 1:04 PM

What, you guys don't like the Blakes?

Posted by Eric Grandy | February 14, 2008 1:19 PM

Just turn your lap top speakers up.

Posted by anon | February 14, 2008 1:49 PM

I'm so proud of Rainydawg. They started a few years ago with less than $100K the Student Technology Fee; it's gratifying to see that they're still up and running.

Too bad that the University already has leased its frequencies to KEXP and KUOW.

Posted by josh | February 14, 2008 3:52 PM

The truth about mismanagement at KCMU/KEXP is slow in coming, but it will come out.
The fact that management could give a shit about the local listeners and $$$ providers- while they run off to NY with John Richards, is proof they just want your money.
How many KEXP managers/DJ's are making over a hundred grand now-from poor pledgers?

4, 5, 6?
John Richards, Tom Mara, Don Slack, and Kevin Cole at least. All white men.
Why no women? No minorities?
How come they won't publish their Board Meeting minutes?

Posted by KCMU Lover | February 14, 2008 10:02 PM

I agree. Morning radio is annoying. Especially T Man. But, that Lightning Bolt song was just as annoying.

Posted by wingding | February 15, 2008 8:30 AM