Line Out: Music & Nightlife

RSS icon Comments on I Wish I Had Listened to ________ Sooner

Atom & his Package shows were the best. Atom is also where I first heard of the Mountain Goats, thanks to his cover of "Going to Georgia," so he even helped me discover a band before it was too late.

A band I wish I'd been into sooner: the Make Up. I even saw them once, but totally didn't get it and even walked out on the show. Years later, I was kicking myself.

(And the secret to dancing is that all people look stupid doing it, and it's always okay...that and booze/drugs, but, you know, baby steps.)

Posted by Eric Grandy | February 12, 2008 2:29 PM

i wish i had listened to ______ sooner.

suicide. how did i miss this?

Posted by cosby | February 12, 2008 2:52 PM

Is there anything more pathetic than getting pumped on the Misfits after you're 30? Guilty as charged.

Just cue up Horror Business and watch grandma freak out.

Posted by bronkitis | February 12, 2008 3:27 PM

Thanks for turning me on to Armalite. I knew Atom broke up a while ago and that I had all the ablums... So why keep up with his website?

I guess this answers the question.

Posted by Graham | February 12, 2008 3:38 PM

How does one guy "break up"?

I AM CONFUSED.

Posted by Brian | February 12, 2008 4:17 PM

Although I did see Atom in concert a few years ago I don't think I fully appreciated the glory until I spent this Christmas here in Seattle -- far away from my family -- and while I was feeling kind of miserable on Christmas eve I heard "What We Do on Christmas" for the very first time and I thought, wtf have I been doing all this time?!

Posted by Sara | February 12, 2008 4:24 PM

@5 Ha! Excellent point. I suppose I should've just said "quit" or "gave it up" in 2003. My bad.

Posted by Megan Seling | February 12, 2008 4:24 PM

I was a little late to the Atom train as well, but I was able to catch his show in 2001 at the Redmond Firehouse. Har Mar Superstar opened and it was fantastic.

Posted by Damien | February 12, 2008 8:08 PM

I went on an Atom & His Package kick in 2003 when I saw that he was coming to town (Boise). I'd never heard him, but he'd been coming to Boise fairly often for years. I downloaded a bunch of mp3s and I was hooked. I gotta say though, Open Your Heart is one of my least favorite tracks on that album. If you want a good cover, check out Nutrition or Waiting Room.

Posted by gillsans | February 12, 2008 10:14 PM

@8 I was at that show too - one of favorite shows ever! I saw Atom & His Package at the Old Firehouse several times over the years and he was always a good time.

Posted by Sarina | February 13, 2008 1:23 AM

Atom is fucking awesome, though A Society Of People Named Elihu is without a doubt his best stuff. Back in the day he made being a crusty political punk fun again. What happened to that? Oh yeah - crimethinc.

Posted by Benji | February 13, 2008 12:51 PM

I wish I would have gotten into Behead the Prophet N.L.S.L. in time to see them. And I wish I would have seen Teen Cthulhu instead of making excuses every time they played.

Posted by bunnypuncher | February 13, 2008 10:04 PM