« Rare Vashti Demo from 2002 | Illegal Leak of the Week: Hell... »

Friday, February 1, 2008

I’m Ready

posted by on February 1 at 10:50 AM

I can’t be there for this, so instead I’m already getting excited about this. Only 112 days to go!

In honor of that, here’s Claude VonStroke’s “Who’s Afraid of Detroit?,” with great footage from the D (the city, not me).

Video hat-tip to Ario.

Donte, where were you in 2001 with this lineup?

Tortoise
Jazzanova
Nobukazu Takemura
Mix Master Mike
Tadd Mullinix (Dabrye)
Prefuse 73
Autechre
De La Soul
+ lotsa yr fav DJs

Not to harsh yr buzz, but 2008 looks like a class of freshman. Nice video tho..

Posted by JonPanther | February 1, 2008 11:45 AM

huge track, it's kind of unbelievable that the best detroit techno song in a minute is by someone based on the west coast. very nice video as well, i like how crisp the footage is and how celebratory it is (god knows detroit has a lot of things you would not want to document).

Posted by cosby | February 1, 2008 11:49 AM

This is a great picture here in
The Stranger. As a matter of fact, all the videos look great to the extent you can feel the experiance.

It's a party.. and the world is crashing so why should we care?

Everybody's partying while they can, take a look at
January 26th-February 1st 2008,
The Economist.
For example...page 76 has Craig Venter sailing away in an exotic shot while he thinks about artificial intelligence.

M. genitalium's, cassettes of the old and the new that I readily admit I can't understand without a tutor and an old school dictionary.

I do get the part about the following paragraph 'All you create '.

Synthetics.. it kind of fits in with the question "why should we care?"

In my confession to tutors, the challenge of asking younger students to read beyond their level of expertise is a noble proposition.

Take page 43 for instance.

The question of the value of gold immediately is skewed by the articles hard sell of Tourism in Nepal.

A 20 year old sex worker dancing by herself for what? A good time?

$28 bucks American, and you might get a rabbit pulled out of the magicians hat.

I'm not trying to be prudish, yet the prevlance of the equations become clearer from page 42 to page 93 and 94.

Page 93... gross domestic product and consumer prices... up mostly.

That's about the level of my cartoonish sarcasms.

What else is going south?

Page 94 shows the trade and exchange rates, budget balances and interest rates.... and Markets.

Numbers and columns of minuses. Mostly minuses, mostly.

It's a good thing that the economic world has experts to handle these kinds of problems, because I would have a hard time understanding (in a quick sense of the word) why we value the golden glow of a 20 year old on stage all by herself when the inevitable remains the deficit.

Cold and calculated on my part to speak that way of a young woman?

Perhaps in a sad economy of values and policy.

Extreme poverty... somewhere in the Economist, this issue, they give the number at 1 dollar a day.

I know a little bit about that being unemployed (by choice), cause my stipend by the state here in Washington at present works out to something like a buck .43.... give or take a couple of cigarettes.

I know that's not necessarily good for the picture displayed on page 77, but hey.... it's my body and I'll party if I want to.. right?

I guess that works about as good as throw away rockets and massive research budgets that fail on page 3.

Criticism, is not the 1st point of my purpose here... it's just that my brain isn't working as good as it was earlier this morning.A cheap excuse I know, but that's the fact.

Joy rides and conundrums... problems for the great thinkers to solve.

It's rough everywhere... especially in some of the other areas covered by news gathers and information purveyors.

Take the magazine Mother Jones for example.

The January\February 2008 issue, in the books, media, film section on page 71, the essay by Adam Weinstein is titled,
Stop the Press Releases!
A call for more citizen journalists to fill the void of more words to read and ideas to string together.

I guess this is a good place to stop... then we all can get back to the business of partying....

partying like it's 2008.

Oh ya.... please don't feel guilty youth of the world and old crumudgeons like me.... just feel it............. like it's the last day of your life.

Posted by danielbennetkieneker | February 1, 2008 11:49 AM

This is a great picture here in

It's a party.. and the world is crashing so why should we care?

Everybody's partying while they can, take a look at
January 26th-February 1st 2008,
The Economist.

I do get the part about the following paragraph 'All you create '.

Synthetics.. it kind of fits in with the question "why should we care?"

Take page 43 for instance.

A 20 year old sex worker dancing by herself for what? A good time?

$28 bucks American, and you might get a rabbit pulled out of the magicians hat.

Page 93... gross domestic product and consumer prices... up mostly.

That's about the level of my cartoonish sarcasms.

What else is going south?

Numbers and columns of minuses. Mostly minuses, mostly.

Cold and calculated on my part to speak that way of a young woman?

Perhaps in a sad economy of values and policy.

Joy rides and conundrums... problems for the great thinkers to solve.

Take the magazine Mother Jones for example.

Stop the Press Releases!

partying like it's 2008.

Posted by danielbennetkieneker | February 1, 2008 11:50 AM

oh, and @1:
having seen four of those acts listed during their 2001 tours, it seems like it would've been cool in retrospect, but the artists were not that great. tortoise were touring in support of 'standards', not their best work. prefuse73 was still new and very green, he was playing an mpc alongside a live drummer (although, i have to say, seeing herren later was not much better with a full live band). autechre were touring in support of 'confield' and were supposedly noodling with kyma for the entire tour (to shrug-worthy results).

nobukazu takemura was off the chain though, great visuals with a live set that was easier to swallow than his 'scope' / 'meteor' material.

Posted by cosby | February 1, 2008 11:56 AM

JonPanther,
I was there for '01 (my first demf), and have to second cosby in saying that tortoise wasn't at their best, and like de la soul felt a bit out of place at the event. it was definitely a great year though.

and that's last year's lineup that's posted.

Posted by donte | February 1, 2008 1:21 PM

Awesome! I just remember a shit ton of people dancing during Tortoise, more than any venue they played in the 90s could hold. Attendance is probably less subjective:

DEMF 2000: 1.1 to 1.5 million *
DEMF 2001: 1.7 million *
DEMF 2002: 1.7 million *
Movement 2003: 630,000
Movement 2004: 150,000 **
Fuse-In 2005: 44,920 ***
Fuse-In 2006: 41,000 ****

I'm just sayin.. Hope 2008 is rad!

Posted by JonPanther | February 1, 2008 2:04 PM

err, nevermind the asterisks :0

Posted by JP | February 1, 2008 2:06 PM

The people in the capacity crowd for Autechre at DEMF in 2001 were not shrugging, brother. They were going bananas. I'll never forget how devastating that show was--claustrophobic underground bunker, rank b.o., soggy clothes, and all.

Posted by segal | February 1, 2008 8:34 PM