« A Couple Videos from Last Nigh... | Tonight in Music »

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Let’s Squash The Rock N’ Roll Debate…

posted by on February 21 at 19:10 PM

…and just accept the fact that BORIS is the greatest living rock band on the planet. I don’t want any arguments on the matter. After all, Takeshi has a double-neck bass/guitar; Atsuo has a gong; and Wata can outplay any other guitar player I’ve seen in recent memory despite being only half as tall as her Orange full-stack. Oh, and they’re named after a Melvins song. I really don’t think there’s any denying their supremacy. Their new album Smile is due out April 29th on Southern Lord, but for now you can enjoy the video for Statement, the first single off the upcoming record.

Wata is a sight to behold. Holy sh*tters... she's unbelievable. but best rock band EVER? We all know who GOD himself listens to.

Posted by KELLY O | February 22, 2008 11:00 AM

i agree. boris destroys every other "rock" band ever. discussion over. they make me want to play faster, louder and more insane.

Posted by geek me | February 22, 2008 11:25 AM

I can't disagree with this. Boris are at the very least better than any other band currently putting out records and touring.

Posted by bunnypuncher | February 22, 2008 12:10 PM

I would have totally disagreed with you when I first heard Boris, but only because I felt really let down that everything they played didn't sound exactly like the first track on Pink. But after I saw them, and gave that album a few more listens the rest of it grew on me. Although, I still think Envy has them beat overall (but maybe not in full on "rock"-ness). Either way, Japan ain't nothin' to fuck with.

Posted by Robby | February 22, 2008 12:55 PM

Sign me up for boris fan, but I'll have to get back to you on greatest.

Thanks Lucas for turning me on to them!

Posted by drew | February 22, 2008 5:57 PM

We're sorry, this video is no longer available.

Posted by KeeKee | February 22, 2008 7:53 PM

@6: hmmm. that's weird. it was available to the public on Thursday night, now apparently you have to be friends with the guy who posted it. still, it is new BORIS material, so it's worth the effort.

@4: the only Envy stuff i've heard was their first EP on the HG:Fact record label, and it was pretty underwhelming. but multiple credible people have assured me that they've grown into an amazing band. care to point me in the direction of their finer work?

Posted by Brian Cook | February 23, 2008 10:11 AM

Brian,
although I'd say the stuff on there isn't quite their best stuff. The two albums i'd recommend are "A Dead Sinking Story" and "All the Footprints You've Ever Left and the Fear Expecting Ahead" Those were after they were just a generic hardcore band, and before they were all Mogwai'ed out.

I guess it's a little bit apples to oranges with the Boris comparison. I guess they're both just bands that make me insanely jealous of people that live in Japan.

Posted by Robby | February 23, 2008 12:02 PM

I see "the greatest living rock band on the planet" and "Melvins" in here, but there's some gobbledeegook about some some outfit that stole their name from a Melvins song. Should I NOT be reading between the lines?

Posted by Let God Be Your Gardener | February 24, 2008 10:53 PM

The first link got foxed.

Posted by matthew | February 25, 2008 6:20 AM

@9: i was waiting for someone to call me out on that. but all i can say in response is "Jello Biafra and the Melvins". however, teaming up with the Big Biz put them back on a solid path and might help them regain their gold medal status.

Posted by brian cook | February 25, 2008 4:12 PM

Boris melted my face off at Chop Suey in the fall. They closed the encore set with "Farewell" as well -- cute (and loud)!!

Posted by andrv | February 25, 2008 6:05 PM

Jello? What about Melvins + Leif? Or any Melvins incarnation with a 2nd guitarist? Oh, they have sucked mightily at times, but at least it was MIGHTILY.

Posted by Let God Be Your Gardener | February 25, 2008 7:48 PM