Line Out: Music & Nightlife

RSS icon Comments on Mo' Better than the Book

Charles - thanks for this post, as I'm a big fan of both the book and definitly of Annie L...and wasn't aware of this album. long live the 80s, eh? cheers -

Posted by annierocks | February 27, 2008 10:57 AM

"SexCrime (1984)" is still my favorite Eurythmics track. I used to watch the video at (ok, this makes me very old) a video jukebox in a video-game arcade as a kid all the time.

Posted by mackro mackro | February 27, 2008 11:46 AM

Yah! You probably never heard of this overlooked gem in Annie Lennox's discography, because the record label chose to release "Sexcrime" as a single, which was widely misinterpreted as a song about rape, and therefore bombed accordingly. The full length album then sunk without a trace, and the Eurythmics went to work on their next album. Combine this with the director rejecting the soundtrack for his album, and the press that surrounded it at the time, and the album was D.O.A. in record stores.

Chalk it up to cultural illiteracy.

Posted by Jethro | February 27, 2008 11:54 AM

That book is banned in Cuba, oddly enough. I wonder if the CD is, as well.

Posted by Dougsf | February 27, 2008 12:55 PM

Orwell >>>>>> Eurythmics

No contest.

Posted by oye | February 27, 2008 7:31 PM

This was easily my favorite Eurythmics album at the time. It was re-issued about 12 years ago, but is sadly out of print again.

Posted by matthew | February 28, 2008 2:23 PM

It's far and away the weakest album they ever made. (With the possible exception of The Garden - and not counting the utterly inconsequential "reunion" one - whatever it was even called.)

Posted by Oh well oh well oh well oh well | February 28, 2008 3:23 PM

thanks Charles- I love your taste in music. I agree it's an amazing soundtrack. I have the album first release edition and adore it.

Posted by Betty | February 28, 2008 8:09 PM