Line Out: Music & Nightlife

RSS icon Comments on Schlager!

Eurovision!

Around this time of year it starts dominating my pop-culture conversations. I am absolutely in love with it, in a wide-eyed bewildered sort of way. You should check out Bulgaria's entry for this year- if Europe's tastes are anything like mine (and they aren't, I think mine are possibly too absurd) it'll be Sofia 2009.

Also, a German TA of mine once gave me a CD of schalger music. It also continues to bewilder me to this day. (I do kind of love it, though.)

Posted by Abby | February 29, 2008 2:30 PM

i actually can't believe it's going to happen in belgrade this year! i hope there's not a genocidal war before it happens.

only 2 1/2 months to go!

Posted by terry Miller | February 29, 2008 2:50 PM

Me too. Hopefully trying to fight about Kosovo again can wait until after Eurovision.

I'm so excited! Now is one of my favorite times...when all the insane music videos show up on Youtube. I'm still getting mileage out of Switzerland from last year.

Posted by Abby | February 29, 2008 4:24 PM

oh abby! have you seen ireland's?

it's sung by a turkey and is called "irelane douze pointe!"

it is fawk-ing cuh-razy!

Posted by terry Miller | February 29, 2008 5:03 PM

Those are both great, but neither one is Schlager. Schlager is German "mom" music, ultra-light, emotional vocal pop for old ladies -- stuff that makes Barry Manilow look like black metal. It is folk-based, but it's the folk music of Heidi and the beer cellar. The prototypical Schlager artist is Heino.

Posted by Fnarf | February 29, 2008 6:00 PM

I love Ireland's except for that I can't look at it. I have a thing about grotesque-looking puppets like that. But it's a brilliantly odd entry. Estonia is great too (and perhaps a bit more schalger-sounding, Fnarf?)

I see a single line about Eurovision and that's immediately what I'm drawn to. It's somewhat of an obsession.

Posted by Abby | February 29, 2008 6:15 PM

@5 yeah, i say that in the post, it's just been popping up in blog post on other sites lately as a descriptive. so i thought i'd put up some english stuff that represents it fairly well.

in fact i read an article about kelly marie somewhere that called her a "schlager singer". dunno.

and besides, how can you not be swayed by crap like "save your kisses for me". brilliant!

Posted by terry Miller | February 29, 2008 6:21 PM

Oh, I'm swayed, all right. It's lovely!

Posted by Fnarf | February 29, 2008 9:23 PM

Eurovision!!! My god, I'm totally obsessed already.
Love the mention of all the Eastern European songs for Ireland.
For Iceland a weird song with rubber-clad ladies was in the running for ages, unfortunately it didn't make it.
Belgium could be sending a saccharine sweet piano-ballad. Or we could go for something folkie and weird. Or R&B. It's always an adventure....
The UK decides which song will get null points in Belgrade tonight ;-)

Posted by Piglet | March 1, 2008 1:12 AM

Iceland's is at least classic terrible Eurodisco, so I'm glad for that, but it doesn't stand out as much as it could.

I love the UK's entries every year. They're so bad they're brilliantly car-crash.

Posted by Abby | March 1, 2008 6:27 PM