« Also Tonight! | Two Excellent Shows »

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Sonic Boom Fremont

posted by on February 16 at 6:27 AM

Photographer Bill Anthony took these pictures and had this to say about the closing of the Fremont Sonic Boom:

sb_interior.jpg

Seattle keeps breakin’ my heart man. So help me, if they ever close the Buckaroo Tavern, I hope this town slides into the Puget Sound leaving nothing behind but dirty bubbles rising to the surface.

Fremont must die that Ballard may live.

Posted by Tiktok | February 16, 2008 7:03 AM

Sonic Boom sucked and so does the Buckaroo. Sunrise, sunset. Good riddance.

Posted by blitzed | February 16, 2008 8:51 AM

@2 the Buckaroo sucks? Where do you get off, man?

Posted by Paulus | February 16, 2008 10:49 AM

Blitzed won't be happy until there are over sized town homes and condos on every square inch of ground.

Nihilist much?

I'm sorry you had a bad time at the Buckaroo. What, was it the 80 year old aroma?

Posted by I'm a Nuclear Bomb | February 16, 2008 10:50 AM

Good thing that the inside of Sonic Boom in Fremont looks EXACTLY like the inside of Sonic Boom in Capitol Hill. If you get nostalgic, hop on a bus and you're minutes away from the old days. (Or a close facsimile, anyway.)

Posted by Katelyn | February 16, 2008 3:14 PM

OMG, a record store is going out of business!!! Oh wait - that happens all the time, because we have the internet now. Anybody running a record store now who doesn't expect to be forced into shutting down in the next 5 years should be given a Gold Star for Baseless Optimism.

Fremont's got more character than the rest of the city has in its big toe. I really doubt the passing of one record shop heralds the coming of the condo antichrist. (Not that he isn't coming, of course...)

Posted by Pooper | February 17, 2008 4:02 AM

[vent]

Motherfuck the Buckaroo. They kicked me out for dropping my cell phone underneath the pool table, and going underneath to retrieve it.

"He's drunk! He fell down!"

No, I was just getting my g.d. phone. Christ!

[/vent]

Posted by James | February 17, 2008 1:11 PM

Damn, that sucks. But the one in Ballard is better anyway.

Posted by kebabs | February 18, 2008 3:19 PM

their electronic music section was shit anyway.

Posted by holz | February 18, 2008 5:35 PM

In a way, Sonic Boom, Easy Street, Bop, Bud's Jazz Records, Jive Time, Silver Platters, all of them and a great many more now gone are like flea markets for media - in this case audio media. They'll never really go away because we'll always have flea markets. Given how much of this stuff (78s, 33s, 45s, CDs, EPs, etc.) we've got and how much fewer of these kinds of things they're making and how many more people there are now than then, I wouldn't worry for the long-term health of a few of these. There's always a collector who'll pay a fortune for a perfect version of early Led Zeppelin (or whoever) vinyl. Look at the prices of some really hard to get limited-edition CDs. Sure, you can rip it and put it on the internet, but it ain't the same - especially with vinyl.

Posted by chas Redmond | February 18, 2008 7:30 PM