« Shim at the Tractor Tavern | Tonight in Music (and Movies A... »

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Super Wednesday - Are You a Hipster?

posted by on February 13 at 11:32 AM

Yesterday, it was suggested - that it is hipster to like Can or
Shuggie Otis

Are you a hipster if you like the music of Can or Shuggie Otis?

Are you a hipster?

Which do you like more?

Which do you prefer?

And lastly:

Shouldn't we settle all this via caucusing?

Posted by Eric Grandy | February 13, 2008 12:04 PM

What the hell is a Shuggie Otis? Is it a cased meat product? Is it actually possible that in the year 2008 we are even entertaining a comparison of Les Savy Fav and Led Zeppelin on anything other than a first-two-characters-of-name basis? What is the goddamn fascination with that band? It's like the Jesus Lizard drawn by a boardwalk caricature artist.

And, for the record, I like Can. Particularly Mooney-era. Et tu, hipsters.

Posted by danmohr | February 13, 2008 12:15 PM

I wish it was Canned Heat instead of Can. Does that make me not a hipster? Or more of one? This is confusing.

Posted by Ari Spool | February 13, 2008 12:17 PM

It's like the Jesus Lizard with songs.

Posted by Eric Grandy | February 13, 2008 12:18 PM

i've been to quite a few "hipster" parties where Phil Collins wound up on the stereo. I thought hipsters loved the whole ironic '80s revival? Never heard Can at a party. Likewise, i think you're far more likely to hear Phil than Damo or Malcom in a Girl Talk track. yet another blow to the whole Wowza theory. and being a drum machine expert? hello... what's more hipster than that?

@2 i had to wikipedia Shuggie Otis. i had no idea who the hell he was either.

Posted by bubbles | February 13, 2008 12:22 PM

Shuggie Otis and Can are more record-nerd than hipster. And that being said, they are both eggcelent.

PS, you guys should start up Justify Your Pod again.

Posted by Strath | February 13, 2008 12:39 PM

After the last Sopranos, does Journey still work on an ironic level or is Journey back to just sucking?

Posted by left coast | February 13, 2008 12:52 PM

dudes, shuggie otis. 'strawberry 23'. totally essential, fuck the brothers johnson version. i would categorize his questionable fanbase under record-nerd more than hipster too. record-nerds pay more attention to david byrne, hipsters pay more attention to bands that sound like a xerox version of the talking heads.

Posted by cosby | February 13, 2008 12:54 PM

ps.
hall and oates > lcd soundsystem
all day, every day.

Posted by cosby | February 13, 2008 12:55 PM

I wish there was a category where it was Hall vs. Oates. I vote Oates, all day long. Trent you totally rooool.

Posted by Anna | February 13, 2008 2:42 PM

What kind of loser would admit to being a hipster?

Posted by Chang | February 13, 2008 4:04 PM

And I thought the "Asshat" post showed lack of thought and effort. I had no idea it was THIS bad. I hope you don't actually get paid for this.

Who ya hatin' on and diggin' today, hipster?

Posted by Wowza | February 13, 2008 4:31 PM

Wowza is the Ecce Homo of Line Out.

Posted by Anna | February 13, 2008 4:44 PM

The Led Zep one was obvious, but that LCD Soundsystem versus Hall & Oates is a tough call.

Posted by Will in Line Out Seattle | February 13, 2008 4:45 PM

Trust me, Anne - it was merely a fluke sighting, and I won't be here much. The "knowledge" on display here is just too overwhelming to handle.

Besides, I'm too busy trying to program my CR-8000 for my cover of "Another Day In Paradise".

Posted by Wowza | February 13, 2008 4:55 PM

That'a Anna, Ecce.

A little upset over the results, are we?

Posted by Anna | February 13, 2008 5:01 PM

That'a it is. Sorry, dear.

I'm assuming you mean the poll. I don't know. Since I think it's a laughable (in the sad sense) question, I didn't bother to look at the results. My main concern would be that Trent is happy with the results, in any case.

Now shoo. You're eating into my programming time.

Posted by Wowza | February 13, 2008 6:19 PM

fuck the brothers johnson version.

Most foolish thing I've read all day--which is really saying something.

Both versions rule.

Posted by pete maravich's socks | February 13, 2008 7:52 PM

I would have thought Genesis would have pulled down more than 10% after all that Genesis love in prior posts.

Posted by Brian | February 13, 2008 8:15 PM

@18:
Amen!

Yes, there is room in this big ol' world, for two incredible versions of a beautiful song. I even enjoyed Negativeland's sampling of the Brothers Johnson's version.

Now, that Negativeland reference makes me a record nerd, right?!!!

Posted by KeeKee | February 13, 2008 9:30 PM

@18:
Amen!

Now, that Negativeland reference makes me a record-nerd, right?!!!

Posted by KeeKee | February 13, 2008 9:53 PM

@20
You'd be a bigger record nerd if you spelled Negativland "correctly."

Posted by segal | February 14, 2008 8:22 AM

@18:
i agree that two versions of one song can peacefully coexist, but i'm not seeing it on this one. the brothers johnson version bleeds late-70's aor mainstream soul cheese. it's like everything about the original was sandblasted down to half of its stature. shuggie otis' version is one of the best examples of psych funk in recorded history, in my opinion. huge drums, the acoustic guitar strum, the GIGANTIC radio unfriendly flange over the final 1/6th of the song, and the chimes that are terribly recreated in the brothers johnson version.

comparing these two songs are like comparing early-80's bar-kays and rotary connection in their prime. dudes, please!

Posted by cosby | February 14, 2008 8:56 AM

@23

Brothers Johnson's version is sumptuously produced and PSYCHEDELIC. I'm as allergic to aural cheese as anyone, and I can listen to this song every day till kingdom come.

You must be wrong here.

Also, almost NOTHING is better than Rotary Connection in their prime.
xo