« Mo' Better than the Book | Toronto Calling »

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Super Wednesday - The Douche-Off

posted by on February 27 at 11:01 AM

A record store clerk was a jerk to me, so I put a GWAR CD in the Belle and Sebastian section. Read more – here.

Commenter ‘bing’ said it was a douche-off, which I won for blogging about it. ‘Bing’ said it was the nadir of Stranger writing.

On your marks, get set – Douche-Off:

Who is the bigger douche?

Who is the bigger douche?

Who is the bigger douche?

Who is the bigger douche?

Trent, please forgive me, but the idea of putting a GWAR CD in the Belle & Sebastian section as an act of VENGEANCE is so lolworthy. I think most record store employees would laugh upon encountering that instead of fuming. If the latter was the point, then kudos for you.

Posted by mackro mackro | February 27, 2008 11:43 AM

Douche is so last year. It's now been completely appropriated by the bridge and tunnel crowd, you can hear them using it in every other sentence when they walk around 1st Ave in Belltown. But way to try to take it back. I only wish Belle and Sebastion would put as much energy into their live show as GWAR, they really need to incorporate more beheadings of presidents and squirting the first 20 rows of the audience with slime.

Posted by dan10things | February 27, 2008 12:24 PM

ZZZZZzzzzzz...

Slow news day?

You just cut and pasted this from pitchfork, you hack.

Posted by Eric Grandy | February 27, 2008 12:31 PM

"Douche" is a timeless word that is just becoming commonplace because of it's absolute perfection.
To prove that "douche" has been a major part of our culture for at least a quarter of a century, our hero "Booger" calls a jock a douche bag in the 1984 movie Revenge of the Nerds.

Posted by Troy | February 27, 2008 1:19 PM

I think nadir vs. Nader would have been a good douchebag question. Next time. It's a hard one, but I think I might have to vote Nader

Posted by Anna | February 27, 2008 1:25 PM

hah. i can see my comment really got under your skin.

Posted by bing | February 27, 2008 4:08 PM

nadir comes from "nazir", arabic for "opposed to". arabic? opposition?

bing = terrorism.

also:
small words with esoteric meanings = confusion = terrorism.

Posted by neo-cosby | February 27, 2008 4:57 PM

Since my vote is currently losing, I just thought I'd take the time to plead my stance over the last polling question.

I think commenters who bitch about blogs getting information from elsewhere is a mighty douchey position. Probably %80 (randomly made up number.)of information on blogs come from some other blog. Anyone who reads blogs should know this.

So I would like to present the argument that if a media source is classy enough to reveal their sources, then no harm, no foul. Even if they don't, charges of plagiarism doesn't affect anyone's credibility. Just ask Hilary Clinton!

It's kind of like when your friend introduces you to his drug-dealer. It's an honor, not a responsibility. No matter how pure the drugs are, give credit to your friend who introduced you to the dealer. If you don't like that guy's drugs, then don't go back to him. But don't bitch at your friend who's trying to help you score drugs.

In closing, I ask all of Line out to vote for commenters who bitch about blogs getting information from elsewhere being the biggest douches of all. Because if you don't know that's how blogs work, then you're just being an ignorant person who likes to comment out their ass.

I can't think of a better qualification for being a douche.

Posted by godsactionfigure | February 27, 2008 6:21 PM

Amen to godsactionfigure's comment.
Nice!

Posted by novicane | February 27, 2008 6:53 PM

Heh Heh you said, "Douche". Heh Heh

Posted by drheavy | February 28, 2008 9:32 AM

This is the second time - that I've seen, I wouldn't be surprised if there were others - that you have created a post/poll from something you had previously written. Are you being paid to blog about music, or yourself?

Posted by I repeat myself when under stress | February 28, 2008 3:12 PM

The polls were created by something in the comments. Not something I had written. The polls seem to get a big response. I've been encouraged to keep doing them.

But since you know what I should be writing better than me. Why don't you tell me what I should be writing and making polls about. Or are you just the Blog Police?

Congratulations, 'I repeat myself when under stress', you win the douche bag of the day award.

Posted by trent moorman | February 28, 2008 7:00 PM

A comment - to one of your posts, no?

And now it would seem, as an obvious sign of your inability to come up with anything of merit on your own, you're quite comfortable in soliciting topic ideas from, er, "douchebags".
Your talent and integrity are almost blinding.

Thanks for the offer, but no way do I want to live inside THAT head, thank you.

Posted by The more I look it at - the less I like it | February 28, 2008 7:23 PM

Look as us, here online, 8 at night throwing shit around. Gotta love the blogs.

You're a master of deflection. You're so strong in your opinion, that I suck. And of my inabilities. But you have no opinion of your own, other than that I suck.

That is brave my anonymous friend. That is brave.

Your anonymous abilities inspire.

I made a post today, about a guy looking for a synthesizer that wasn't about me. Did you see that?

Of course you didn't. You see what you want to see. You just like to bitch, don't you? Bitch some more, anonymous talented saint, I'm here for you.

If you policed every post on this website for those that have people talking about their personal experiences, you'd be a busy anonymous commenter. But you seem like a busy anonymous commenter.

Posted by trent moorman | February 28, 2008 8:20 PM

Perhaps not quite as busy as a busy, comment-responding blogger - but ones does what one can with what one has...

...which is also a concept ably demonstrated by the incredibly insightful piece of yours you directed me to. I was going to call it totally useless, but, in fact, it was a welcome reminder to me that, whenever I idly consider the idea of attempting to write something of a music-related nature, I need only think of "scribes" like yourself, and remember - "Oh - right. I was going to try to sell myself on ability and knowledge - but I forgot - those don't matter anymore."

I won't be back to check, but please don't let this stop you from posting another oh so witty retort. Because when in doubt, go for what you know, yo.

Posted by Spent Bored Man | February 28, 2008 9:34 PM