« Vince Gill's Shout Out to Kany... | Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes »

Monday, February 11, 2008

The Coldest Echo

posted by on February 11 at 12:46 PM

In 2007, I basically only listened to two albums. One, Untrue, and two, this:
514M0zfCyqL._SS500_.jpg Echospace is DeepChord’s Rod Modell and Soultek’s Steve Hitchell. Seven or so years ago, Mike Schommer and Rod Modell released DeepChord 01-06, which was nothing more than a poor man’s Basic Channel. DeepChord’s dub lacked the alien radiance, the urban intelligence, the galactic energy of Basic Channel’s dub. DeepChord were just not inhuman enough; Schommer and Modell sounded like they came from nowhere else but this planet. So unimpressive was the music that I didn’t know DeepChord had gone until they returned in 2007 as Echospace. With the The Coldest Season, DeepChord passed imitation and arrived at sublation. Basic Channel was now fully absorbed into its system and retransmitted as something else, something new, something on the edge of deep space. As much as I love (and can’t stop listening to) Burial’s “Near Dark,” Echospace’s “Abraxas” is certainly the most magical (numinous) dub to come out of last year.

Not on the subject of this post, but honestly. There has got to be someone else out there in the world who is with me in saying that Burial's Untrue is the most overfuckingrated album of 2007. I just ... I just don't think it''s anywhere near the level of sound that it's been represented as.

Posted by Somebody please explain this to me ... | February 11, 2008 2:00 PM

sir, you are the only one. the only one who is wrong. and this is not an opinion. this is the truth. if you do not think burial's work constitutes a major cultural event, a rupture from the state of things, then something is very wrong with you.

Posted by charles mudede | February 11, 2008 2:42 PM

@1,
I love Untrue, and even i think that it's overrated. Still a great album (one of the best of last year) and more worthy of the hype than its predecessor, but the overwhelming hyperbole is definitely a turnoff.

Posted by donte | February 11, 2008 2:45 PM

i like it. it's hard to say if it's over-celebrated. when i think of overhyped releases, i try to think of what should deserve it's place. in the case of 'untrue', i don't think there is another album from last year that is more deserving of the hype it garnered.

also, i think it means very different things to different people. i was talking about it with a friend and we share different musical pasts. 'untrue' means a lot to me because of it's use of classic garage programming whereas he connects more with the density of the music. it's hard to step outside of what you know, but it might be a hard album for someone to pick as an introduction to dubstep / uk garage / two-step / electronic music in general.

Posted by cosby | February 11, 2008 2:52 PM

Charles, I think what sets Abraxas apart from earlier Deepchord and even R+S releases is that it actually has a bassline with a melody.

The form has been refined, and it is now ready to deliver substance. Ha, get it? substance!

Posted by boyd main | February 11, 2008 3:38 PM

I just received Rod Modell's Incense & Black Light. I'll let you know how it is.

From the press release: "Incense & Black Light is an intoxicating journey into darkness, a sonic travelogue through one mysterious night, taking the listener from dusk to dawn... Psychedelic dub-delays, sub bass, and slabs of alien atmosphere rule here."

Sounds promising.

Posted by segal | February 11, 2008 7:46 PM

Forgot to mention: the Modell album is out March 18 on Plop.

Posted by segal | February 11, 2008 7:47 PM

Charles, you are going to flip when you hear Incense & Black Light. I'm not so sure about the rest of you...

But seriously, this album is so icy and tar-on-coal dark, your brain will get frostbite listening to it. Very inhuman--the way you like it.

Posted by segal | February 11, 2008 11:45 PM

Can someone explain Untrue to me? I just don't get it.

Posted by clint | February 12, 2008 9:01 AM