« Rock & Roll | Super Wednesday - Slats Poll »

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Total Eclipse of the Moon

posted by on February 20 at 9:53 AM

This just in from the interwebs, on this day of the lunar eclipse:

Please join me in Cal Anderson park on February 20th at 7:01PM to sing “Total Eclipse of the Heart” karaoke-style for the 51 minutes that the eclipse is, in fact, total.

If you want to bring along music to sing along to…feel free. If you want to play an instrument, feel free. If you want to bring your whole band, go ahead. I will have a megaphone so that people can take their turn on the top of the hill if they want. If you bring your own megaphone, don’t be a dick.

I didn’t really have any experience with the song until this party, but since then it’s become one of my favorite karaoke songs to watch. It’s almost impossible to sing it without really feeling it. People can start off all “Oh, this is so funny and clever, ha-ha, what a cheesy song,” but by the time they get to the “And I need you now tonight/And I need you more than ever/And if you’ll only hold me tight/We’ll be holding on forever” part, those motherfuckers are totally living “Total Eclipse of the Heart.” It would be fun to see a bunch of people really get into it, although 51 minutes is a long damn time to sing anything. Still, though, I know what song I’ve got stuck in my head for the rest of the day.

Man, I have a ridiculous memory forever associated with this song, but I really don't feel comfortable writing about it where I am. Let's just say it involved a form of entertainment only available in Amsterdam.

Posted by Levislade | February 20, 2008 10:42 AM

try to track down v/vm's version of 'total eclipse of the heart' from their 'sick love' album. you'll be shook for LIFE, who knew that pitch shifting someone's song could make it scary as fuck.

Posted by cosby | February 20, 2008 11:08 AM

if you haven't seen hurra torpedo ("the world's leading kitchen appliance rock group") doing this song, please watch this video:

Posted by szzza | February 20, 2008 4:53 PM

It really is good.

Posted by Trent Reznor | February 21, 2008 2:31 AM

I've always wondered whether the band Bright Eyes got their name from the backup singers who repeat over and over, "Turn around, Bright Eyes!" Pay attention, if you've never heard it. You'll hear it.

Posted by Christin | February 21, 2008 5:51 AM
Posted by Denny | February 21, 2008 8:03 AM

video of the last iteration of the song done last night.

Posted by NaFun | February 21, 2008 3:07 PM