Line Out: Music & Nightlife

RSS icon Comments on Wall Of Sound: Long Live Physical Media!

Hey Brian nice writeup!

I was recently in Yakima & stopped at Central WA's only indie record store "Off the Record." The owner told me that they may have slow times biz wise, but they pretty much make up for it at X-Mas & other holidaze. I even found a semi-rare Songs: Ohia CD there, along with a Buddy Guy disc, so I was somewhat impressesed.

So, are the impending death of the record industry stories I keep reading premature?

And what about Amazon? Is it wrong to buy from them? At least they're locally owned right?

Posted by Jethro | February 23, 2008 11:20 PM

Wall of Sound is a national treasure. Even though I moved out of Seattle last year, I still order stuff from WOS, because shops of its ilk are more than just businesses--they're the heart of a healthy music community. Plus, owners Jeffery and Michael are stellar folks who possess a deep knowledge of great music. Respect--and a good chunk of your money--is due.

Posted by segal | February 24, 2008 2:39 AM

Vinyl sales have actually seen in increase over the past couple of years.

Posted by finn | February 24, 2008 1:52 PM

one thing that bugs me about wall of sound is their lack of a strong local music section. i feel that small record stores should almost indiscriminately carry as many local releases as possible. maybe not as much pressure for blake lewis or something totally opposed to WoS's thrust, but srsly the store has not so much music from around here. the vinyl is the only reason to shop. except the guys who work there, they are nice. but they don't carry hiphop.

Posted by ndrwmtsn | February 25, 2008 9:32 AM

Do you really need a strong local music section ndrwmtsn?
They do carry hip hop I think they file it under rock / pop but it is not part of their main bread and butter.

Nice write up Brian.

Posted by Biggie J | February 25, 2008 1:04 PM

@4

WOS was the first shop to carry Tiny Vipers' music, if I recall correctly. WOS also carries Specs One, Tulsi and other local hip-hop artists' releases. I've seen a fair amount of Seattle-centric experimental and indie-rock albums there, too.

Perhaps WOS prefers quality over quantity w/r/t stocking local music.

Posted by segal | February 25, 2008 9:29 PM