« Music from the Barack Obama Ra... | My Number One »

Friday, February 8, 2008

WTF, DEP?

posted by on February 8 at 12:54 PM

Here is a video of the Dillinger Escape Plan playing Conan O’Brien on Wednesday night:

This makes me want to drop a barf. For a band that basically reinvented tech metal to go on national TV and play a glorified Orgy cover song is disgraceful. Sure, they lost their hotshot drummer and one of their guitar wizards since they’ve been a great band, but really now, they should know better than this. Even Alex Ross gave them props for their amazing composition in our Interrogation of him a few weeks ago, but I guarantee he wasn’t talking about this trite. I understand being in the game a long time and having to make sacrifices to earn a dollar, but this is just too much. If they would have been singing this song in black leather onesies and eyeliner I wouldn’t have been surprised. How the mighty have fallen. It just makes me glad Botch broke up before they ever had the chance to pull some bullshit like this.

Here is what the Dillinger Escape Plan used to be all about. There’s no going back.

Ouch. Well, maybe girls will like them now.

Posted by Eric Grandy | February 8, 2008 1:11 PM

Cancel the underground!

Posted by PGC | February 8, 2008 1:25 PM

— Sad and lame... I agree 100% Jeff. This band used to be amazing.

Posted by Aaron Edge | February 8, 2008 1:27 PM

All bands die. Even the shitty ones. Bands like this give the " RoCK " a bad name.

Posted by Biggie J | February 8, 2008 2:39 PM

I thought that Conan performance was a joke. Still waiting for the punchline. So, so awful.

Posted by Boo | February 8, 2008 4:25 PM

I'm confused. So a band decides they don't want to put out an album that sounds just like their older stuff and wants some diversity in their sound (there are still fast, heavy, technical songs on the new album, but they're not going to be able to play that kind of stuff on Conan) and that means they suck? This interview with Ben Weinman, the guitarist, helped to explain what his thoughts are with the style they're playing now. http://www.issueoriented.com/

Posted by This Guy | February 8, 2008 6:16 PM

Both performances pretty much make me want to barf.

Posted by rk | February 8, 2008 8:58 PM

WhaH! Too bad the band couldn't pull another 10 year old song out for you and Conan. Where were you and what were you listening to in '98 when "Under the Running Board" was released?

Posted by Lee | February 8, 2008 9:42 PM

They may have lost their "hotshot drummer," but their new drummer Gil Sharone is just as good as Chris Pennie, maybe even better. So don't blame DEP's turn for the worse on him.

Posted by bunnypuncher | February 8, 2008 10:36 PM

@8: Don't front. I was into Dillinger from the start, from the Running Board EP, when I was in high school. That shit blew my just-pubescent mind. That's what makes all this so hard. I don't want them playing "Mullet Burden" on Conan, I want them to still write songs worth listening to. And @6: I understand this was the single off Ire Works, but that's still no excuse. It's a terrible song off a massively mediocre album. It's better than Miss Machine, but not by much.

Posted by Jeff Kirby | February 9, 2008 3:22 AM

Wow, that's really embarrassing for them.

Posted by Benji | February 9, 2008 2:43 PM