« I'm About to Fall Asleep at My... | Van Halen Postpone More Shows,... »

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

A Thank You to Commenters

posted by on March 11 at 15:20 PM

thankyou.jpg

A while ago, someone was looking for a synthesizer and came to Line Out for advice. Wise and generous gear-head commenters were there for him with information and help.

The brave synth quester has made his choice:

I bought a MicroKORG! This thing packs a healthy fucking punch in a tiny little package.

Thanks to all the commenters for the advice. In the end I opted for the Korg because of what some of them suggested. The Alesis Micron had a lot of bells and whistles, but like the commenters said, when you stuff all that into a small package something ends up suffering.

Plus, the KORG has gigantic low-end bass synths that rattle the windows. Can’t wait to hear this thing run through a 18” sub woofer and my 450 watt bass amp!

Awesome, I hope the little keys don't drive you crazy. That was the only reason I picked the MS2000 over the microkorg, and the additional knobs on the MS2000. Aside from that they are the same synth engine. I think they sound great, and I have a square wave bass patch I made that can rattle teeth for days. Now make some noise.

Posted by drheavy | March 11, 2008 3:57 PM

dr. heavy the phase 3 disc is dope thx for sending!

Posted by bosch | March 11, 2008 4:14 PM

Coming from a band who prides itself in having an overwhelming amount of analog synths, we definitely rely on that lil guy a lot (microkorg)! Or maybe I'm just saying that because I don't personally own anything else..

FYI, if you plan on using the vocoder much, ditch the wimpy mic it includes and work with tweaking the presets a little for pretty amazing results (out of a $400 synth).

Posted by jandrew | March 11, 2008 4:24 PM

the bass tones are super low on the microkorg, great selling point.

i'm glad dude picked up something and is happy about his purchase. that synth thread was one of the more helpful discussions on here, not at all like that phil collins drum machine thread.

Posted by cosby | March 11, 2008 4:39 PM

Awwww, I miss the Phil Collins drum machine thread.

Posted by Paulus | March 11, 2008 5:03 PM

Thanks bros. Can someone please explain what a patch is and how to use one?

Or point me to a site that will?

Posted by Jeff | March 12, 2008 8:51 AM

Patch is another name for program. Do a search for synth programming in google and the first two articles are great for getting started in programming.

Posted by drheavy | March 12, 2008 10:21 AM