« Kids These Days | Today's President's Prize: An ... »

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Changes Over at KNDD. Or, Radio Hates Seattle.

posted by on March 13 at 11:54 AM

theendlogo.gif

If you listen to 107.7 the End with any sort of regularity, you’ve probably noticed the staff change that recently went down over there. Earlier this week both Jim Keller and DJ No Name were let go from the station, and five-year long evening host harms was pulled from his 6-10 slot to move over as the station’s new Programming Director. He’s always been working behind the scenes during the day and, he says, while he’d prefer to keep doing evenings and is sad to let the shift go, he understands that his new position will require a lot more work and there just isn’t time to do both. He’ll stay on-air, though, doing the New Music show and his podcast.

So what’s left at 107.7 the End? Adam Corolla is still on mornings—being blasted in live from LA. Radio Impulse has replaced No Names 10 am-2pm show. Radio Impulse, says the stations website, is “interactive radio that puts you in control of the airwaves. You can text, im, e-mail or voicemail your requests directly to RADIO IMPULSE, vote for the Song Of The Hour, and interact with The End and other listeners.” (So some dude in Montana can control what we end up hearing in Seattle.) Church of Lazlo is still on from 2-6 pm, and it’s also aired 3-8 pm on 96.5 the Buzz in Kansas City. Jordin Silver is now doing evenings, and then Loveline follows, which is on many other radio stations all over the country.

According to the website, Chris Travis is still hosting the End’s two-hour weekly local show every Sunday from 7-9 pm. So at least we have that. (I contacted him to confirm, but have yet to hear back.) UPDATE: Chris Travis is indeed still hosting the local show. (He also confirmed that he’s at SXSW and he saw one of my favorite bands, Meneguar, last night along with Eric Grandy, and he thought they were fucking awesome. Damn, I’m jealous.)

Why does Seattle have such a hard time keeping radio stations and their programming IN SEATTLE?

People listen to the End?

Posted by Jeff | March 13, 2008 12:41 PM

The End sucks

Posted by E | March 13, 2008 12:49 PM

I hope they are keeping their punk show that Rob Femur hosts. I still have a cassette deck in my truck and the tape player died. So I'm forced to listen to radio. I tend to start with KEXP, which usually is playing crappy pop or world music, then go to The End, which is usually playing crappy pop or has someone talking too much, and then settle in at NPR. At least KEXP has a couple good specialty shows, but for the most part, Seattle radio has sucked since KJET went off the air.

Posted by dan10things | March 13, 2008 1:10 PM

@3 If I'm not mistaken, that show hasn't been on the air for a few months now at least...

Posted by Megan Seling | March 13, 2008 1:24 PM

Nobody gives a shit about radio anymore. I know people have been saying that for a few years now, but it's really becoming apparent now.

Posted by Hernandez | March 13, 2008 1:24 PM

Online radio is still going strong. I like what they're doing over at Hollow Earth.

Posted by Jason Josephes | March 13, 2008 1:25 PM

@6 - Yes!

BTW, I'll be doing my biweekly show today from 5 to 7. Just sayin'.

Posted by Levislade | March 13, 2008 1:41 PM

Online radio is def. doing well. I like Hollow Earth too. And Rainy Dawg continues to stay strong. It just sucks that these stations don't get more attention because the airwaves are taken up by "local" stations that don't even cater specifically to the city anymore.

Posted by Megan Seling | March 13, 2008 1:51 PM

I'm soooo disappointed about losing Jim Keller's Resurrection Flashback on Sunday mornings!! This sucks.

Posted by laurel | March 13, 2008 1:56 PM

It's sad to know there won't be any more Resurrection Flashback Sundays with Jim Keller.

Posted by madamecrow | March 13, 2008 2:00 PM

@1 - well 16 yo boys still listen to The End. But, quite frankly, I'd rather listen to KNHC 89.5 or RainyDawg (especially since you can livestream it highdef).

Sometimes I switch to it in my car, but only sometimes.

Posted by Will in Seattle | March 13, 2008 2:05 PM

I didnt know harms and dj no name were members of the doors.

Posted by 98105 | March 13, 2008 2:13 PM

I wish people would remember that there are OTHER stations in Seattle... anyone tried KISW (99.9) for entertainment lately? They have awesome shows (whose contracts continue to be picked up...) and music. Check it out!

Posted by Caitlin | March 13, 2008 2:17 PM

@13 - completely agree. Outside of BJ Shea himself, the rest of KISW's on-air talent is pretty solid. Love the Men's Room and Jolene!

Posted by Dave | March 13, 2008 2:23 PM

I haven't listened to The End much at all since they canceled No Name's morning show. In Studio Fridays, CD Tuesday, and of course the Monday and Friday club listings with Megan. It was a pretty good station back then.

Posted by Mike of Renton | March 13, 2008 2:43 PM

The End's gone downhill since Marco Collins left. There was a brief flash of hope back in early '04 when they started playing, you know, GOOD alternative again, but that bit it. Best of luck to Jim Keller and DJ No Name, I really liked both of them (even if No Name's shows got a little too talky towards the end). Good luck to Harms as well. I try to catch the local show, but I'd rather listen to KEXP, as it doesn't endlessly run ads for the F-U line or whatever it's called.

BTW, Church of Lazlo fucking sucks. KUOW all the way in the afternoon!

Posted by Jessica | March 13, 2008 2:48 PM

I stopped listening when they put Adam Corolla on in the mornings. He grates on my nerves more than No Name did.

Interesting that they're practically turning it into JackFM. There was a point in time where Andy Savage and all them moved over to what is now JackFM and it was decent. But again, then they turned it into JackFM and I stopped listening.

I like streaming Live 105 from the Bay Area though, they have a funny morning show and play good music.

Posted by lunge | March 13, 2008 2:59 PM

Christ, I love Jim Keller. Does this mean the end of the Sunday retro program?

Posted by Emily | March 13, 2008 4:16 PM

Since my mp3 player is on loan, I've had the horrible experience of listening to the radio lately. My .02.

AM drive:
1. BJ Shea is an idiot and a hypocrite. I feel stupider for listening to them. But, at least they're semi-local.
2. Adam Carolla is ok, but I liked him better with Dr. Drew.
3. Bob Rivers is ok as well. Someone needs to tell Spike that he's not as clever as he thinks he is.
4. Mitch in the Morning (KJR 950) is entertaining. Too bad they have so many commercials all the time.

PM drive:
1. Men's Room. I actually enjoy these guys. Again, they're local, though the "Thrill" is a loud mouth.
2. Church of Lazlo. HATE THESE GUYS. GET ROSSETTI BACK ON THE AIR!!!
3. Groz and Gas (KJR 950). See Mitch above.
4. Steve Slaton (is that who's on 102.5?). Anyway, he's good, but the music is just too repetitive.

I can't wait to get my mp3 player back...

Posted by gwon | March 13, 2008 4:16 PM

@18 Sadly, yes. I thought that was a fun show too.

Posted by Megan Seling | March 13, 2008 4:25 PM

@3: KJET forever!!

Posted by cmh | March 13, 2008 4:30 PM

@15 -- I'm with you. For about the first two weeks of Adam Corolla's nauseating ceaseless babble, I kept listening to The End in the morning hoping that No Name was just on a really long, unannounced vacation. *sigh* No dice.

...and since Danny Bonaduce joined "the Ace man" about a year ago, I really can't listen to 107.7 in the mornings.

Posted by Sarah | March 13, 2008 4:37 PM

Shit, I stopped listening to The End YEARS ago when they came up with the "All KORN, All The Time" format. Or was that the "All Linkin Park, All The Time" format?

Posted by Marc R. | March 13, 2008 5:19 PM

@22, Carolla was "out sick" for a bunch of days near the end of the year, and then when he finally "got well", Bonaduce was permanently gone. Sick of Bonaduce, maybe?

Posted by Dannyless | March 13, 2008 5:41 PM

Geez, Jim Keller's been there for ages. And was at KJET, too. Anyone know if he's got another gig lined up yet?

Jim, if you happen to see this, good luck and best wishes. I still have a cassette around here of your band from the 80s. ;)

Posted by litlnemo | March 13, 2008 5:52 PM

@19
I hate BJ Shea, Mitch, and Adam to varying degrees. I am annoyed by MOVIN' 92's Brooke and Monte, who are kind of the female equivalent of BJ Shea. I did not need to know Brooke's prowess at "hovering" when she pees in a public restroom. Oh yeah, and T-Man on KUBE. His voice is like nails stabbing my eardrums.

I like Groz and Gas, Men's Room, Church of Lazlo, and Ron and Don on KIRO. Naturally, KEXP > everything else. My favorite show on there is the Saturday afternoon with Quilty 3000.

Oh, and Dory Monson is the f--in' Antichrist. I only listen to him to glean the daily right-wing talking points.

Posted by kebabs | March 13, 2008 6:37 PM

KBCS 91.3FM

Posted by Paulus | March 13, 2008 8:54 PM

Jordin (Silver, not American Idol Sparks) will do well in the evenings, I'm pretty sure. I know from personal experience that, even though DJs don't have much (errr..any) control over their program, she does want to play local music.

But still, how many fucking times can a person hear the Red Hot Chilli Peppers in an hour? Ugh.

Posted by JJ Hellgate | March 13, 2008 9:47 PM

Oh man! Listening to Jim Keller was part of my Sunday ritual! It was one of the few times I could listen to the radio and know I'd enjoy it and learn something. That really makes me sad that he's gone. :-(

I can't even go near the radio during drive time anymore, Corolla, the Men's Room, Lazlo, et al, make me want to jam a dull trowel through the collective frontal lobe of humanity, NPR usually has something on the news that pisses me off and, unless DJ Troy or DJ Rachel is filling in, KEXP has been boring my ass off lately in the morning.

Posted by BillyNilly | March 14, 2008 9:49 AM